Traditional Bosnian Polenta

Traditional Bosnian Polenta

I bet you have heard of cornmeal mush before, haven’t you? There’s nothing mushy about this traditional Bosnian polenta, although the flavor is the same. You either love it or hate it and I happened to love it. Except when I was little and mom served it with milk poured over. No, thank you. I always detested milk. I prefer buttermilk.

This simple meal is best if you share it with someone who appreciates it as much as you do because it is so much more fun to “ahh” and “mmm” about it in a tandem. My daughter Andrea and I make it a feast, a special bonding time, and we can barely move after we’re done: polenta topped with feta cheese, sauerkraut, browned bacon and bacon drippings, and then we finish it off with buttermilk. Mmm…It’s almost like a dessert. I’m not crazy, don’t make funny faces! Give it a try. You don’t have to be Bosnian to acquire the taste for polenta. Ask Ava, my almost-three-year-old granddaughter. She loves it just as much as mommy and grandma 🙂

Polenta is so versatile. Serve with maple syrup alongside eggs for breakfast, or – if you like milk – try with milk, cinnamon, apples, and pecans. I have made polenta as a  side dish to accompany stews, even casseroles like Slavonian sneaky casserole. Or, cook it and pour it into a loaf pan, then refrigerate until solid. Cut into thin slices and fry the pieces until golden brown on both sides. YUM!
Another favorite, stand alone, polenta version is this one with caramelized onions and peppers. Ahhh…

Serves 2-3

1 cup Yellow Cornmeal
3 cups Water
1 teaspoon Sugar
1 medium Onion, chopped or sliced
1-2 Bell Peppers (any color), chopped or sliced
1 tablespoons Oil
3 tablespoon Butter
1/2 cup Feta Cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste

Mix polenta, water, 1 teaspoon salt and oil in a medium size pan. Bring to a light boil over medium-low heat, whisking occasionally. When polenta starts to bubble, lower the heat to low and whisk frequently, keeping the cornmeal from lumping up and sticking to the bottom of your pan, until desired consistency is reached, about 10 minutes. You want to be able to lift it with the fork, so it should be pretty thick.

Meanwhile, heat the butter in a large skillet. Add onions and peppers and sauté over medium heat until vegetables softened about 5-10 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and sugar and cook 5 more minutes.

Scoop the caramelized vegetables over polenta and sprinkle with crumbled feta.

Traditional Bosnian Polenta Traditional Bosnian Polenta
Traditional Bosnian Polenta Traditional Bosnian Polenta
Traditional Bosnian Polenta
Traditional Bosnian Polenta
Traditional Bosnian Polenta

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 26 minutes

Traditional Bosnian Polenta

The most basic cornmeal recipe for a quick and easy breakfast or side dish will also satisfy you as a main course for lunch or supper.

• 1 cup Yellow Cornmeal
  • 3 cups Water
  • 1 teaspoon Sugar
  • 1 medium Onion, chopped or sliced
  • 1-2 Bell Peppers (any color), chopped or sliced
  • 1 tablespoons Oil
  • 3 tablespoon Butter
  • 1/2 cup Feta Cheese
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

Mix polenta, water, 1 teaspoon salt and oil in a medium size pan. Bring to a light boil over medium-low heat, whisking occasionally. When polenta starts to bubble, lower the heat to low and whisk frequently, keeping the cornmeal from lumping up and sticking to the bottom of your pan, until desired consistency is reached, about 10 minutes. You want to be able to lift it with the fork, so it should be pretty thick.

Meanwhile, heat the butter in a large skillet. Add onions and peppers and sauté over medium heat until vegetables softened, about 5-10 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and sugar and cook 5 more minutes.

Scoop the caramelized vegetables over polenta and sprinkle with crumbled feta.

Notes

Try making polenta with maple syrup alongside eggs for breakfast, or with milk, cinnamon, apples, and pecans. Serve polenta as a side dish to accompany stews. Or, cook it and pour it into a loaf pan, then refrigerate until solid. Cut into thin slices and fry the pieces until golden brown on both sides.

This recipe is featured at Inspiration Spotlight

Looking forward to connecting with you soon.

For more quick recipes and tips follow my All that’s Jas Facebook page or social network of your preference. It makes my day 🙂

Jas is a cheesecake addict and the author of the Balkan Comfort Food cookbook available on Amazon. You can download a free excerpt of the book when you subscribe to All that's Jas newsletter updates. To learn more about Jas visit her About page.

1. […] all those health benefits, what’s not to love? And if you do fall in love with polenta, try this vegetarian version of traditional Bosnian polenta. I share another polenta recipe in my cookbook, Balkan Comfort Food. See it on the sidebar? Yes, […]

Stephanie
    June 30, 2015 at 12:52 am

Yum! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! This post has been pinned on the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! I love having you and can’t wait to see you next week!

June 30, 2015 at 8:23 am

Thank you so much, Stephanie! That is very kind of you 😀

Sherry
    June 25, 2015 at 6:30 pm

Polenta is one of my favorite dishes. Pinned and stumbled! Thanks for linking up and sharing with us at Funtastic Friday. Hope you join us again this week:-)

June 26, 2015 at 9:52 am

Thank you, Sherry! I wouldn’t miss it, I love partying with you 🙂 Hope your weekend is an amazing one!

DearCreatives (@DearCreatives)
    June 25, 2015 at 5:12 pm

Looks so good. Pinned & shared. Thanks for linking up at the Inspiration Spotlight Party!

June 26, 2015 at 9:55 am

Thank you so much! Hugs 😀

joylovefood
    June 24, 2015 at 11:38 pm

Oh my goodness, polenta is one of my favorite comfort foods and all of the preparations you described that you enjoy with your daughter sound wonderful as does this traditional Bosnian preparation! Thanks so much for sharing at What’d You Do This Weekend? I hope you will join us again next Monday!

June 25, 2015 at 8:43 am

Thank you, Joy! I’m so glad you like polenta too 😀

joylovefood
        June 28, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Hi Jas, stopping back to let you know that this was one of my favorite posts from What’d You Do This Weekend? last week and will be one of my features at tomorrow’s party, I hope you will join us again!

June 29, 2015 at 9:54 am

Thank you so much! You made my week 😀 Have a great day!

bacurran
    June 22, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Jas this looks so yummy. I love polenta! And as always your pictures are just stunning! Thank you for sharing at SYS and have a great week!
    XO Barbara

June 23, 2015 at 8:58 am

Thank you so much, Barbara! makes me happy to know people who share my love for polenta 😀

Audrey@That Recipe
    June 22, 2015 at 11:09 am

I saw this on Joanne’s Say G’Day Party and had to come check it out. My grandfather is from Northern Italy where polenta is more popular than pasta in many cases – I just bought a huge bag the other day!

The peppers, onions and feta on top sounds scrumptious!

June 23, 2015 at 8:48 am

Aw, Audrey, that makes me happy! Thank you for checking it out and I hope you’ll like it! Have a great day 😀

Kathleen
    June 22, 2015 at 3:12 am

I was not sure from the name but when I saw your tutorial and ingredients it looks rather good. Thanks for sharing it on the #HomeMattersParty
    Kathleen

June 22, 2015 at 8:00 am

I’m glad you continued to read, Kathleen 🙂 Perhaps you’ll give it a try someday. Thank you for stopping in! 🙂

Jennifer
    June 19, 2015 at 12:25 pm

This sounds so interesting and so good. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

And thanks for linking up your post on the Weekend Blog Hop at My Flagstaff Home!

Jennifer

June 19, 2015 at 3:50 pm

Thanks for visiting, Jennifer!

promisinglypennywise
    June 19, 2015 at 10:32 am

This looks delicious, and I have all of the ingredients on hand except the feta! Pinning this to try once I get the feta. 🙂

June 19, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Thank you! Hope you like it. Feta makes it better 🙂 Hope your weekend is an amazing one!

Thalia @ butter and brioche
    June 18, 2015 at 11:27 pm

I love polenta and often make it though I have to say I never have tried a traditional bosnian version before. Looks delicious!

June 19, 2015 at 7:23 am

What do you top it with? Hope you’ll try one of the Bosnian versions too 🙂 Have a great weekend, Thalia, and thanks for stopping in!