Scotch Eggs

Many moons ago I went on a date to our local pub that has a clever name “The Pub”. I wasn’t impressed with my date but the snack we shared that evening was memorable. It was love at first sight taste. I’m talking about the Scotch Eggs not my date as that was our first, last, and never again time together. The eggs though, popular in Scotland and U.K., are still in my life. True love never fades. Hard-boiled eggs are wrapped in sausage, breaded and fried. Easy peasy. Not exactly diet food, but it won’t kill you. At least not immediately. Just kidding folks!

Makes 8 eggs
2 pounds Bulk Pork Sausage
8 medium size Eggs, hard-boiled
2 Eggs, beaten
½ cup all-purpose Flour
1 cup Breadcrumbs
Oil
Ranch Dressing and/or Dijon Mustard for dipping

Place eggs in a pot with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook for about 8-10 minutes. Drain and let sit under running cold water for a couple of minutes. The eggs will peal easy and clean. I always boil extra 2-3 eggs just in case one cracks open during cooking time. Also, if they’re smaller I have enough to use up all the sausage. Or I use the leftover sausage for breakfast the next morning. Whatever strikes your fancy.
Divide sausage into portions and flatten each into a patty. Place an egg in the middle of each patty and mold the sausage up around the egg to enclose it.
Place the flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs in three separate bowls. Roll each boiled egg first in the flour, then in the egg, and then in the breadcrumbs to coat. Fry them in deep fryer or in a deep skillet over medium heat until they are golden brown, about 5-10 minutes, turning occasionally.
Serve warm or cold with Ranch dressing or Dijon mustard. Salad is optional but beer is a must!

PRINTABLE RECIPE

This recipe is featured at What’d You Do This Weekend, Bouquet of Talent and Weekend Blog Hop

Jas is a cheesecake addict and the author of the Balkan Comfort Food cookbook available on Amazon. You can download a free excerpt of the book when you subscribe to All that's Jas newsletter updates. To learn more about Jas visit her About page.

35 St. Patrick's Day Must Haves
    March 11, 2017 at 10:20 am

[…] Scotch Eggs (ok, almost Irish) by yours truly. An appetizer that will knock your socks off! […]

Sarah R.
    August 28, 2015 at 6:32 am

Scotch eggs are the BEST!!! Pretty sure I won’t be able to stop thinking about them now. 😉 Happy-almost-September and thank you for swinging by Snickerdoodle Sunday! Hope to see you again this weekend.

Sarah (Sadie Seasongoods)
    Sarah R. recently posted…Goodwill Blogging: New Opportunities and Projects (August 2015)My Profile

August 28, 2015 at 10:22 am

Thanks, Sarah! Yeah, they are pretty hard to forget, lol. Have a great weekend!

stephanie
    August 25, 2015 at 2:43 am

Looks delicious! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! This post has been pinned on the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! I love having you and can’t wait to see you next week!
    stephanie recently posted…Protecting the VowMy Profile

August 25, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Thank you bunches!

Jennifer
    August 24, 2015 at 12:29 pm

Another feature for you, Jas! Stop by My Flagstaff Home on Thursday. 🙂

Jennifer

Joy @ Joy Love Food
    August 23, 2015 at 10:43 pm

Oh, how I love Scotch eggs! I’ve never made them at home before, these look wonderful and this is one of my favorite posts from last week’s What’d You Do This Weekend? and will be one of my features at tomorrow’s party! 🙂
    Joy @ Joy Love Food recently posted…White Bean and Garlic Scape DipMy Profile

August 24, 2015 at 9:35 am

YAY! Thanks, Joy! I am thrilled 🙂

Melissa Vera
    August 21, 2015 at 11:29 pm

I have never heard of scotch eggs before. They look absolutely yummy. I am so happy that you shared this link on #HomeMattersParty and I hope you will come back and share again.
    Melissa Vera recently posted…Pave The Way For A Great Relationship With This Roommate Welcome BasketMy Profile

August 22, 2015 at 10:46 am

Thank you, Melissa! I hope you’ll try them 🙂

Tornadough Alli
    August 20, 2015 at 2:01 pm

Loving this! I’ve always wanted to make these, now you’re making it hard for me not to make them! I hope you’ll come party with us again tonight at Throwback Thursday!
    Tornadough Alli recently posted…Southern Banana PuddingMy Profile

August 21, 2015 at 10:30 am

Hi, Alli! I hope you do make them….we love them! When does your party officially start? I was stopping by throughout the day and then I got too busy 🙂

Chrissa - Physical Kitchness
    August 18, 2015 at 11:38 am

I have wanted to make scotch eggs for awhile now. This post motivates me to just do it! Looks so good!
    Chrissa – Physical Kitchness recently posted…Lebanese Beef Zucchini BoatsMy Profile

August 18, 2015 at 3:44 pm

Do it! 😀 You’ll love them! Thanks for visiting!!!

penpen
    August 17, 2015 at 3:28 pm

eggs look great and sound like they taste even better. I have a fear of deep frying. So I will just savor your page.
    penpen recently posted…Grandparenting: The double joys and sorrows of being part of our grown children’s livesMy Profile

August 18, 2015 at 8:41 am

I hear ya…I sometimes bake them in the oven, they taste the same 🙂 Thanks for stopping in and have a great day!

Steph
    August 17, 2015 at 3:09 pm

I’ve never seen this preparation before, but they look like quite a treat! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    Steph recently posted…2 Sure-Fire Steps to A Great Flight with Your Little OneMy Profile

August 18, 2015 at 8:42 am

Thanks, Steph! They are quite addictive 🙂

Katherines Corner
    April 20, 2013 at 2:18 am

I must try this! thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop xo

April 20, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Katherine, thank you for visiting! Hugs and have a wonderful day 🙂

Kathy Shea Mormino, The Chicken Chick
    March 25, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Hi! I’m new follower of your blog and would like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop:

I hope you can make it!

Cheers,

Kathy Shea Mormino

The Chicken Chick

March 26, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Hi Kathy! Thanks for stopping by and following 🙂
      I’ll hop over to your blog and check it out!