English Bangers & Mash

English Bangers & Mash

I am re-posting this recipe for English Bangers and Mash to give it attention it deserves and to update the atrocious photo I was so proud of back in the day (see below). I thought that by adding color with basil (listed as ingredient) and taking the picture from a different angle I followed all food photography rules. Yikes! Well, I have to confess there are still many other old recipes that need a face-lift and I’m far from being a pro. Still, I will try to update them soon because it would be a shame that another good recipe goes ignored because of my photography “skills”.

This English dish is made with Cumberland sausage, a.k.a. bangers, and mustard mashed potatoes. The gravy is made with rich red wine and onions. I love cooking with wine and sometimes I even put it in food 🙂

Bangers and mash are the British working class’ favorite. It is cheap and tastes good. How can you go wrong with meat and potatoes, am I right? This is the ultimate comfort food, British style.

Serves 2

2 tablespoons Oil
1 large Onion, sliced
1 clove Garlic, minced
1 chicken or beef Bouillon
1 tablespoon Flour
1 tablespoon fresh or dried Basil
1 tablespoon fresh or dried Parsley
1 teaspoon fresh or dried Rosemary
Salt and fresh ground Pepper to taste
4 large Potatoes
2/3 cup Milk
2 tablespoons Butter
1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard

Put peeled and diced potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Add salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan brown the sausages in oil on all sides over medium-high heat. Remove sausages to a plate and keep warm. Add the onions to the pan and cook until soft.
Add garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds. Stir in flour, cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken bouillon, wine, basil, parsley and rosemary. Cook until wine has reduced to a glaze over the onions, about 10 minutes. Return the sausages to the pan and simmer for about 5 more minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Drain the potatoes and mash with milk, butter and mustard. Transfer the bangers and mash to a serving dish and dig in!!! I mixed a cup of red wine with one cup of Coca Cola to make my favorite drink Bambus, as we call it in Bosnia. Yum! Try it – even the non wine lovers will like it.
English Bangers & Mash
English Bangers & Mash
 And now the original photo. Go ahead, judge me. Make fun of it, it’s ok. I’m laughing too.
An ugly picture doesn’t change the fact that this truly is a delicious and easy to make recipe.
English Bangers & Mash
English Bangers & Mash

Rating: 51

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 25 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes

English Bangers & Mash

The ultimate comfort food, British style.

• serves 2
  • 4 Cumberland or other good quality Pork Sausage (I found bangers at the local butcher)
  • 2 tablespoons Oil
  • 1 large Onion, sliced
  • 1 clove Garlic, minced
  • 2 cups red Wine, divided (one cup for cooking, another to keep yourself hydrated)
  • 1 chicken or beef Bouillon
  • 1 tablespoon Flour
  • 1 tablespoon fresh or dried Basil
  • 1 tablespoon fresh or dried Parsley
  • 1 teaspoon fresh or dried Rosemary
  • Salt and fresh ground Pepper to taste
  • 4 large Potatoes
  • 2/3 cup Milk
  • 2 tablespoons Butter
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard

Drain the potatoes and mash with milk, butter and mustard. Transfer the bangers and mash to a serving dish and dig in!!! I mixed a cup of red wine with one cup of Coca Cola to make my favorite drink Bambus, as we call it in Bosnia. Yum! Try it - even the non wine lovers will like it.

This recipe is featured at Talented Tuesday and Hump Day Happenings

Looking forward to connecting to you soon.

For more quick recipes and tips follow my All that’s Jas Facebook page or social network of your preference. It makes my day 🙂

Katherines Corner
    June 2, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Ahhh, this certainly brings back some memories. Yum. I know what you mean about photos. As my blog has grown my skills have improved in all areas. Great idea going back and updating xo

June 2, 2017 at 10:21 pm

There is so much I still have to update, it’s not even funny. But yes, skills improve and my worst now is still better than my best then. How crazy is that?

February 26, 2017 at 5:40 pm

Now THIS is Irish!! Thanks for sharing on the What’s for Dinner link up!
    Helen at the Lazy Gastronome recently posted…What’s for Dinner? – Sunday Link up #85My Profile

February 26, 2017 at 8:24 pm

Ha! Thanks Helen, it’s our favorite quick supper choice 😀

What's On The List (@mickeydownunder)
    March 7, 2015 at 11:25 pm

G’daY Love bangers and mash! All submission have been Pinned Thx for sharing at my Say Gday party! If you haven’t already, please stop back to Say G’day and perhaps you’ll share with a friend or two! Thank you!
    Cheers! Joanne

March 8, 2015 at 11:24 am

Thank you Joanne, sure will! XO

Baking In Pyjamas
    March 4, 2015 at 11:37 am

This is a British classic with myself a big fan. I could eat this right now, it looks so so delicious. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!! Laura@Baking in Pyjamas

March 4, 2015 at 1:43 pm

Thanks Laura. It is frequent on our dinner table. See you next Sunday!

Sherry
    February 27, 2015 at 7:09 pm

This dish looks amazing. Thanks for linking up to Funtastic Friday. Hope to see you again this week.

February 28, 2015 at 8:05 am

Thanks Sherry, I love partying with you!

6. […] English Bangers and Mash from All That’s Jas […]

Hump Day Happenings 51 - The Crumby Cupcake
    February 24, 2015 at 8:09 pm

[…] English Bangers and Mash from All That Jas […]

Hump Day Happenings February 24, 2015
    February 24, 2015 at 8:01 pm

[…] English Bangers and Mash from All That’s Jas […]

9. […] never seen a recipe on All That’s Jas that I don’t love and these English Bangers & Mash are no […]

sgarrison05
    February 23, 2015 at 5:04 pm

This is a recipe my husband will love! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Talented Tuesdays. I hope you join us again tomorrow!

February 23, 2015 at 9:19 pm

I’ll be there! I’d like to invite you to join us at Thursday Favorite Things. We’d love to have you!

Erica @ The Crumby Cupcake
    February 22, 2015 at 6:52 pm

Goodness! My husband and I just went to London on vacation, and this was one of the best things we ate there! I can’t wait to surprise him with a reminder of the good time we had. 🙂 It looks so delicious!! Thanks so much for linking up with us at Hump Day Happenings!! Hope to see you next week!

February 22, 2015 at 8:05 pm

Well, I never tried the original ones but these are a hit in our household. I hope your husband won’t be disappointed. See you next Hump Day!

joylovefood
    February 21, 2015 at 3:06 pm

This sounds, and looks, wonderful! I love ordering bangers and mash at pubs, but have never made my own at home, I will have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing at What’d You Do This Weekend? 🙂

February 21, 2015 at 3:38 pm

Thanks Joy! Super easy to make and even my daughter who hates onions is a big fan. In fact it’s her favorite!

lovekeil
    February 21, 2015 at 1:47 pm

Love how you captured English Bangers & Mash on camera they look so yummy, pinning it!

February 21, 2015 at 2:38 pm

Thank you kindly!

Carole
    February 18, 2015 at 9:15 pm

I, too, have many, many old recipes that need “refreshing” from a photography standpoint. I’m hesitant to do it, because I originally wanted to show my progression as a blogger, both from writing perspective and photography perspective, but you have a good point – why have them ignored because of poor photography? I’ll work on thinking about working on “do-overs” (lol), and refer to your lovely post for inspiration. BTW – gorgeous photos!!! Stopping by from Hump Day Happenings and pinning to Pinterest!

February 19, 2015 at 8:03 pm

Yeah, I was holding on to them for the same reason, Carole. It is not a good referral when someone stumbles upon an old post first. You know how important that first impression is. And lets’ be honest, how many people are sincerely interested in our progress besides our family and friends? So, I vote for the “do-overs”! Thank you for stopping by and for your kind words. Now I’m off to visit your blog 🙂

couponindiva
    February 18, 2015 at 1:29 pm

I’ve never had bangers but it looks like something I would want to try. I’m eating with my eyes!

February 18, 2015 at 6:50 pm

I hope you do try them, easy to make and yummy. Thanks for stopping by 🙂

Caroline @ Shrinking Single
    February 15, 2015 at 11:09 pm

Oh and I love the wine to keep you hydrated 🙂

February 16, 2015 at 9:10 am

It’s 5 o’clock somewhere 😀 Thanks for visiting Caroline!

Caroline @ Shrinking Single
    February 15, 2015 at 11:08 pm

I know what you mean about great recipes getting lost because of photography skills. I have some favourites where I definitely need to update the photos. It is such a shame they go missing in action because of the photo. And I love bangers and mash. So good when done well.

February 16, 2015 at 9:10 am

Yeah, we do eat with our eyes first, don’t we?