Not Another Blogging Rule - All that's Jas

Not Another Blogging Rule

What!! Not another blogging rule. Ignore at your own risk.

Not Another Blogging Rule

Recently, a conversation came up in the blogosphere about bloggers not receiving many comments anymore, and some even admitted that they don’t leave any or respond to any because it’s too hard, or too time consuming, or too something else.

Chivalry isn’t dead, but is etiquette?

What!! Not another #blogging #rule. Ignore at your own #risk. #bloggingetiquette Click To Tweet

Not Another Blogging Rule - All that's Jas

That really struck a chord with me. In a world of social media and less interpersonal relationships, it’s becoming hard to leave a comment? Come ON! What if I met you for lunch and you took the time to tell me how your week has been going and all I did in return was give you a thumbs up? It’s too hard to respond.

Sounds pretty silly right?

Or say blogging is your job and this is how you make a living or are trying to make a living …shouldn’t you engage with your customers?

I’m much more likely to buy something from a friendly sales person, than a standalone product I know nothing about.

Reciprocate the love!

It’s a kind gesture to acknowledge when someone leaves a compliment on your blog or reaches out to you (if it’s not spam). Don’t look at it as another blogging rule but as common courtesy. We owe it to our moms. They spent years teaching us manners. I have unfollowed blogs who never ever respond to their comments. I mean, are you blogging or journaling for yourself?  Then keep your diary under your bed, please.

Regardless of whether you do this for fun or for money, I think it’s not only good manners to leave a comment on your fellow bloggers’ sites, but also a great relationship builder. Saying it’s “too hard” to leave a comment is just pure laziness in my opinion. Do you not call your mom back because it’s “too hard” to push all the numbers?

Is it worth it?

Sure many readers don’t come back to your blog just to see if you’ve responded, but some still do. Install the “Comment Email Reply” plugin (not an affiliate). It’s free and it will notify the reader of your response. It will make their day!

I personally want to know what my readers are feeling or thinking or whether they’ve made my recipe so if you leave a comment saying “just visiting, come see me at xyz.com,” leave that comment to yourself. I’m interested in your emotions not your emojis.

Stepping off the soapbox for now.

What do you think? Does social media have etiquette rules? Leave a comment and let me know …or don’t.

Just remember: Having a strong opinion on a topic is fine, but personal attacks are never acceptable.

This post is featured on A Woman in Her Prime

Rhonda
    May 27, 2017 at 8:59 am

Stopping by from Sunday’s Best linkup. I love this post. As a blogger, I love interacting with my readers and getting them involved in the conversation. If I take the time to visit a blog, I make the time to leave a comment. I hope that others will too after reading your post.
    Rhonda recently posted…Destination Wedding and Party RentalsMy Profile

May 28, 2017 at 11:45 pm

Hi, Rhonda! I agree with you. Sometimes it takes time but I always acknowledge the comments my readers make. I love when they stop in and I want them to know that I appreciate them. Hope you’re having a wonderful weekend!

Cathy
    February 20, 2017 at 7:30 am

Jas, good point. I admit I’ve gotten sloppy about always responding to comments. No good excuse!

February 20, 2017 at 10:02 pm

Cathy, sometimes vs. never – it’s a huge difference 😉

Carol, The Red Painted Cottage
    February 19, 2017 at 7:56 pm

Wonderful article, Jas! I visit a lot of blogs, and I have to admit that I don’t always respond to everyone of them. Sometimes it’s harder for me to do on my phone vs the laptop, but maybe we all need to slow down a bit and take the time to at least leave a few words.
    Carol, The Red Painted Cottage recently posted…Share Your Style Link Party #105My Profile

February 19, 2017 at 8:20 pm

Carol, there’s a big difference between not responding to some of them and not responding period. 😉 We’re all busy and it’s understandable that we can’t get to all of them. But I’ve seen blogs with a couple of comments and never any response…

Sandy
    February 16, 2017 at 9:02 pm

Fabulous post! So much so that I’ve chosen you to be my pick for this week’s Featured Blogger at the Over the Moon Link Party. Come by between Sunday evening and Thursday evening and grab your Featured Blogger badge and share your latest posts. Congratulations!!!
    Sandy recently posted…Giveaway – $100 in Cold, Hard CashMy Profile

February 16, 2017 at 10:14 pm

Thank you, Sandy, what an honor! You made my day 😀

Jasmine A
    February 13, 2017 at 10:35 pm

I really like this post. As a blogger, I do my best to respond to every single comment. When I read other posts I comment if it resonates with me or if I have something to add to the conversation. I also think you can truly encourage a blogger by leaving something thoughtful and if you like their material wouldn’t you want them to know?

February 14, 2017 at 9:53 pm

Agree 100% Jasmine! Also, I like to be a supporter not just a stalker 🙂

February 7, 2017 at 12:48 pm

I agree with you , it is just good manner’s to leave a comment. I always thought of it like, if I came in to your home I would sure say something to you. I always appreciate the folks who leave a comment on my blog. When I first started blogging 61/2 years ago, people always left a comment, but fewer people leave comments today. This is a great post and thanks so much for sharing!
    Miz Helen recently posted…Spicy Marshmallow FudgeMy Profile

February 7, 2017 at 11:28 pm

I guess times are changing and manners are not what they used to be, Miz Helen. Thanks for stopping in!

Skippy
    February 7, 2017 at 7:13 am

I feel that bloggers who don’t reply to comments just throw up the content and then totally ignore it. As some others have said, why bother to post in the first place. Oh, wait, it’s called ads and money. And I, too, have unfollowed many blogs that don’t respond to comments. No, I don’t expect them to reply to every single comment, that’s not necessary, but if I offer valid information or ask a question and don’t get a reply, I’m gone. As a follower, receiving a reply to one of my comments, rather makes me feel important. Don’t bloggers want their readers to feel that way? I can see that you do 🙂 Thanks for sharing this post, I wondered if I was the only one to feel this way! Have a great day.

February 7, 2017 at 11:42 pm

Hi, Skippy! I certainly think my followers are important and I want them to feel that way when they come to visit. You’re absolutely right about ads and money, but you don’t have to be rude. We all work for money and not for fun, no matter what we do, but we don’t go into work ignoring everyone around us, right? Wishing you a wonderful rest of the week!

Keri
    February 2, 2017 at 10:22 pm

Jas, I too believe it is just courteous to reply when people take the time to comment on blogs. I found out several months ago that Blogger blogs sometimes are unable to respond to comments because of technicalities, not sure the specifics. Anyway great article!
    Keri recently posted…5 More Wreath JPEG Files that are Perfect for Making StencilsMy Profile

February 3, 2017 at 11:28 am

Hm, that must be a glitch. I was on Blogger originally and didn’t have that problem. But still, not responding sometimes vs. never…

Debrashoppeno5
    February 2, 2017 at 6:44 pm

I agree with you completely. I have stopped visiting some blogs because the blogger didn’t respond to comments. I would also say this applies to comments on Instagram, FaceBook, and other social media. Personally, I enjoy the interaction with the readers. As you and Mary said we develop friendships by leaving comments. I enjoy my blogger friends and look forward to reading their opinion and reading their blog and giving them my thoughts. Thank you for a thought-provoking post.
    Debrashoppeno5 recently posted…How Did My Wood Floors Look New AgainMy Profile

February 3, 2017 at 11:24 am

You’re absolutely right, Debra. Sometimes when you get too much activity on social media it’s easy for a comment to slip away and you miss it, but if you constantly ignore all of them, then I have a problem with that.

Robin
    February 2, 2017 at 3:34 pm

I totally agree a one sided conversation is boring! Pinned
    Robin | Creative Muster Party @ Fluster Buster

February 3, 2017 at 11:09 am

You summed it up exactly, Robin. One sided conversation. I have those with myself, ha! Thanks for pinning 😀

Victoria @DazzleWhileFrazzled
    February 2, 2017 at 7:13 am

Agree completely! Wish more folks left comments and it always surprises me the few responses I get back after leaving comments on others’ sites. Visiting from Favorite Things party.

February 2, 2017 at 8:05 am

I’m frazzled too (no pun intended, lol). Glad to see we think alike. Thanks for visiting!

Ellen Martin
    February 1, 2017 at 6:16 pm

I wish I got more comments on my blog – but I respond to them all and try and leave comments when I visit a blog and have something worth saying or really enjoyed the content! 🙂

February 1, 2017 at 10:13 pm

Hi, Ellen! I’m happy that you enjoyed this content. I don’t usually get many comments either, but this post must have resonated with people. Thanks for sharing your thoughts 🙂

Sandra at Dinner at Eight
    February 1, 2017 at 11:02 am

Thanks for voicing my frustration. I’m always dumbfounded when the blogger doesn’t respond to comments. As they say, common courtesy is anything but common!
    Sandra at Dinner at Eight recently posted…Lunar New YearMy Profile

February 1, 2017 at 10:31 pm

Yeah, they don’t teach that in schools anymore I suppose, lol. Thanks for stopping in.

Susanne
    January 31, 2017 at 12:29 pm

Oh yes!! Responding to comments is etiquette and good manners and common sense on the internet in my opinion. If people don’t want to respond to comments, then why do they blog in the first place? They can just make a static website about whatever, without comment forms, if they don’t want to interact with people.

You’re spot on about business bloggers by the way.. why would people buy from a business that doesn’t respond when they try to get in touch.

Comments and interacting with people is the reason why I’ve continued blogging. It’s simply that part that makes blogging fun.
    Susanne recently posted…DevastationMy Profile

January 31, 2017 at 11:52 pm

Agree 100%. Sure it takes time to respond, but I also think it’s fun! Thanks for stopping in and chiming in on this hot topic! Have a blessed rest of your week.

Jeanne
    January 31, 2017 at 7:46 am

Amen!! I do check back to see if there has been a reply to my comment. It is frustrating to reach out with a comment/ question and then be ignored.

January 31, 2017 at 11:48 pm

Yes, Jeanne, it is! It’s too much to expect the response right away, sometimes it takes me a couple of days to get to them, but it is rude just to ignore.

January 30, 2017 at 5:44 pm

Fwoahhh! You sound pissy, Grandma! ;p who stepped on your toes?!!
    But you know Jas, you are absolutely right with etiquette. It takes time to comment and it also takes time to build an audience and friendship. For that, I really do thank you for taking the time to post comments on my blog. I’m guilty of delayed response to reply too; and it mostly happens with self-hosted blogs. Yet never with the attention turn not to comment.

P.s: these days we hv auto-dial or “ok google” to call mom. Lol. Xoxo.

January 30, 2017 at 7:20 pm

This grandma was nice long enough, bwahahaha. Just kidding. Not “pissy” at all just questioning values. I mean, I don’t sit here waiting for comments so that I can jump right on to respond. Better late than never it’s my point.

P.S. Listen, Linda! Hahaha…It was a rhetorical question, I know nobody dials numbers anymore. I once forgot my phone at home and couldn’t reach anyone through work phone because I don’t know their numbers by heart. Not even my husband’s. I felt lost! 🙁 Since that day, I carry everyone’s number on a piece of paper in my wallet, like old school, ha!

February 1, 2017 at 3:29 pm

Hmmm..is that a Linda I know? ;p

It sucks isn;t it to forget numbers. Writing down numbers is a good bet though I no longer do that. I’m screwed as I don’t remember numbers anymore. Actually, I did, but since we moved to Holland, I haven’t been able to memorise my husband’s new number! And I KNOW that if I write it down, I will lose that piece of paper somehow,,,

February 1, 2017 at 10:20 pm

We can’t win, lol. Btw, “listen Linda” is an expression here. Sorry if I confused you or you thought I was confused 😛

17. […] my last post on etiquette. I get it. It’s a tough world out there and we all have to pay our bills. Whatever it […]

Cynthia Chilson Finger
    January 29, 2017 at 6:57 pm

Thank you for writing this post! I’m not a big blog, and I always respond to every comment, but I was fairly certain the reader would not know this. I had no idea how easy it was to install “Comment Email Reply”. I put it off because I thought code would be involved. Wrong! Install and activate … that’s it. I tend to get asked questions, and now I don’t have to send separate emails, as well.

And you are spot on … good manners never go out of style. Thanks again, Cynthia
    Cynthia Chilson Finger recently posted…A Quick Use for Left Over Milk Paint – Thrift Shop Flip No. 11My Profile

January 29, 2017 at 9:42 pm

Hi, Cynthia! I’m so glad we think alike and that you found this post valuable. I really appreciate your comment. Have a blessed week!

Kelly @ Kelly Lynns Sweets and Treats
    January 29, 2017 at 10:43 am

I completely agree. Isn’t that why it’s called a blog?? Kind of like open dialogue and discussion? Thanks for the great article!! Xoxo

January 29, 2017 at 3:15 pm

You’re absolutely right! Thanks for visiting, Kelly! 🙂

Mary-The Boondocks Blog
    January 29, 2017 at 6:43 am

Oh what a timely topic Jas. I went thru a tough time at the end of last year where I did not respond to all my comments. It was impossible with all that was going on. However I went back to the bloggers and left a comment on their blogs. It cannot be stressed enough that the way to build your blog is to visit and form relationships. In fact that is how we became friends. This year I am making it a top priority to respond to those comments.
    Mary-The Boondocks Blog recently posted…Sweet Inspiration Link Party #41My Profile

January 29, 2017 at 3:21 pm

Mary, you’re right. That’s how we met and built our friendship, which is priceless to me. We all go through tough times and sometimes we’re less responsive. We’re only human. I’m talking about ones that don’t answer questions, well wishes (after they wrote about their hardship in the post), or compliments. You can look through their every post and they have never bothered to respond to anyone. Blows my mind.

Jennifer @ Fit Nana
    January 28, 2017 at 9:30 pm

I completely agree! I spend time reading and sharing other blog posts. If I leave a comment, or especially a question, I would really appreciate a response! I respond to all the comments I get on my blog, which admittedly is few but still. I’m definitely not a “leave ’em hanging” kind of person.

January 29, 2017 at 3:26 pm

That is very commendable, Jennifer. I am thrilled when I get a comment, especially a question. It means people value what I have to say and you bet I will answer as soon as I can. I still feel bad about clicking delete button in my spam folder once before realizing one of the comments was not a spam. It was forever gone and I didn’t catch who wrote it. They must think I’m one of those non-responders, lol. Since that time I am very careful when deleting. Thanks for visiting!

Julie@Cut Off in the Keweenaw
    January 28, 2017 at 7:39 pm

Good post! I have to admit I’m guilty of not responding to many comments on my blog. I guess I didn’t realize that so many people wanted to see my comments about their comments. I’ll strive to do better at this from now on. I appreciate the advice.

January 28, 2017 at 9:11 pm

Hi, Julie! It’s never too late. A little acknowledgment is all that’s needed. If you’re taking time to comment on this post, I am letting you know that I appreciate you stopping in when you could use your time doing anything else 😀

Deborah
    January 28, 2017 at 3:58 pm

I always respond to my comments however before I have the plug in people didn’t get notified. The plug in is great. Thanks for linking up to #homemattersparty

January 28, 2017 at 4:36 pm

Yeah, it really is the greatest plugin 🙂 Thanks for stopping in and have a wonderful weekend!

Tania
    January 28, 2017 at 10:05 am

I 100% agree! Thank you for posting this. I always try and respond… granted I don’t get a ton of comments but my blog is still growing and I plan to continue to respond (I may have to figure out a better way to keep up in the future though). Without readers our blogs are nothing so I have never understood not responding! There are several “bigger” bloggers who don’t respond (1 in particular stands out to me) EVER… not even to questions and I find it incredibly rude. I also find it rude when I continually comment and they never even look at my blog! The blogger I mentioned above even asked people to leave comments telling what they want to see more of, less of, etc. She got several people who said “comments back” and guess what?? She didn’t respond and hasn’t changed a damn thing on her blog!! Needless to say, I have unsubscribed.

Tania

January 28, 2017 at 3:33 pm

My biggest pet peeve. If my blog ever grows and I get that many comments, I might change my tune, but I would try my best to respond. There are smaller blogs who get two-three comments and still don’t respond. I just don’t understand…

Tania
        January 28, 2017 at 7:58 pm

Exactly! I don’t necessarily think that a person has to respond to every single comment (especially if they get hundreds and especially if they have regular readers who comment all the time) but new readers are impressionable, it’s discouraging if you don’t get even a thank you for your comment :o(

Tania
        Tania recently posted…My Vintage Trailer – Counters and Curtains and Cushions, Oh My!!My Profile

January 28, 2017 at 9:05 pm

I know one person can’t do it all. It’s just common courtesy in my book, Tania. Bigger blogs have VA to assist with social media, why not comments on their blog?

January 28, 2017 at 10:05 am

Totally Agree! Life and other jobs do sometimes get busy however and we all understand that. I think many of us are spread way too thin as social media, blog and e-mail are all expectations that deserve responses.
    Bam’s Kitchen recently posted…Baked Tilapia with Caramelized Onion LentilsMy Profile

January 28, 2017 at 3:35 pm

We are and I understand an occasional miss, but never ever? Remove the comment plugin and we’ll all be happy campers, lol.

Rachel
    January 28, 2017 at 7:36 am

I love your bold approach to this subject. I’m on team leave-a-thoughtful-comment! Thanks for the tip on the comment reply plugin. I need to get that. Also, is there a plugin for allowing a link to the commenter’s website? Mine doesn’t include that option and I think people would appreciate it.
    Rachel recently posted…Birthday Crownie (It’s a Cake-Brownie!)My Profile

January 28, 2017 at 3:43 pm

Thank you, Rachel! Yes, there is a plugin called CommentLuv that automatically inserts a link to your latest post. I hope that’s what you meant. 🙂

January 27, 2017 at 11:11 pm

I’m with you! I love it when you can get a little back and forth going. I don’t understand why even some “friends” can never leave a quick note to let you know they stopped by. It’s a very easy way to say “hey, I really appreciate what you did there” and best of all, it’s free!
    Carlee recently posted…Fresh Strawberries and (Sour) Cream Bundt CakeMy Profile

January 28, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Well, it costs time and time is money and if they’re not getting anything out of it then they’re losing time and money. Everything is about personal gain these days. Camaraderie is dead, lol.

Roseann Hampton
    January 27, 2017 at 7:45 pm

I agree – isn’t “social” media supposed to be “social”?
    Roseann Hampton recently posted…Super Bowl LI Party DecorationsMy Profile

January 27, 2017 at 8:42 pm

Exactly! Glad to see I’m not alone here. Thanks for stopping in!

Amy
    January 27, 2017 at 10:05 am

I couldn’t agree more. There are way too many bloggers out there who are all about receiving but not giving. I’ve unfollowed so many blogs for this reason. If you can’t even extend me the courtesy to visit my blog or at the very least respond to my comment then I’m done with you. End of Story.

January 27, 2017 at 8:49 pm

Amy, you get it. I understand blogs that get dozens of comments daily don’t have time to visit all those blogs, and it takes time to respond. However, if you don’t want to respond then take away the comment plugin (I’ve seen blogs where I couldn’t leave a comment) and save us all the time.

Amy
        January 28, 2017 at 9:47 am

So true. But many of the most popular blogs always respond to comments. Amber Filler Up Clark for example always responds to my comments. It’s the blogs with smaller follower numbers that don’t respond that irk me the most. I just don’t understand why people blog at all if they don’t want to engage. That’s the best part of blogging to me. Sharing common interests with people from all over the world.
        Amy recently posted…Sorry Folks, It’s Not Spring Yet!My Profile

January 28, 2017 at 3:39 pm

I know, right? Especially the small ones that host linky parties. I know it’s time consuming to visit every entry, but if someone left you a comment it is rude not to respond. Period.