must have scalloped potatoes recipe - All that's Jas

The only scalloped potatoes recipe you’ll ever need!

Using a mandoline slicer has proven to be painful if you get a bit distracted. My daughter will vouch that I’m like a magpie – easily distracted by shiny objects. Only this time my distraction was dull (unlike my mandoline) and a shade darker. Making scalloped potatoes was probably a bad idea.

My mind was preoccupied.

Within one week I have lost my grade school friend to breast cancer and heard of the tragic death of my dentist.  The news shook me up pretty significantly. I spoke to my friend a month earlier and was under the assumption that her cancer was still in the early stages. My dentist was young and enthusiastic and it’s hard to stomach that he was actually troubled and took his own life.

May they rest in peace.

Aside from my injury, surprisingly these scalloped potatoes turned out perfect! They were not dry or runny. Do you sometimes have that problem, where the potatoes don’t absorb the liquid and just kind of swim in a milky mess? Not sure if I used wrong kind of potatoes or a wrong recipe, but that’s happened to me numerous times and I stopped making them for good.

You know what comes next…

I gave scalloped potatoes one last shot with this recipe found in The Vatican Cookbook (which I adore). Lo and behold, they turned out amazing! Simple, flavorful, delicious! A must-have! Served alongside pork chops with mustard sauce. You don’t want to miss that recipe, so if you haven’t signed up for our newsletter updates now would be a good time, or simply check back when you get a chance. No pressure. If you can’t wait, serve them with pork medallions or chicken, salad greens, or whatever tickles you fancy.

Husband approved the scalloped potatoes and I made them twice in one week. But don’t take my word for it, although I would never share a recipe I didn’t like. Just keep your eye on and your fingers off that mandoline slicer, for real!

P.S. The Sesame Street Band-Aid, courtesy of my granddaughter.

Must-Have Scalloped Potatoes Recipe

The only recipe for delicious, creamy, scalloped potatoes you'll ever need! … Click To Tweet

must have scalloped potatoes recipe - All that's Jas

Serves 4-6

2 pounds potatoes (like Idaho or Russet)
1 ½ cups heavy cream
½ cup milk
3 tablespoons butter
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon sea salt
Butter for greasing
Freshly ground black pepper
Fresh thyme to garnish (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Peel, wash, and cut the potatoes into very thin slices using a mandoline slicer or a knife.

must have scalloped potatoes recipe - All that's Jas

Heat the heavy cream, milk, and butter over medium-high heat until the butter is melted. Season the cream with salt.

Grease a baking dish with butter. Layer the potato slices into the baking dish. Pour the cream sauce evenly over the potatoes. Add fresh thyme leaves or sprigs if desired.

must have scalloped potatoes recipe - All that's Jas

Note: just in case, put your dish on a baking pan or a jelly roll pan. First time I made this recipe I didn’t need it, but the second time the cream leaked over the rim. I think I sliced an extra potato and my dish was too crowded.

Bake, covered for 1 hour, then uncover and bake 30 minutes longer or until tender. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper before serving. Enjoy.

I can’t wait to make this again. Such a simple, yummy dish. Let me know how it turned out for you. Do you have a no-fail scalloped potatoes recipe of yours? Please share!

must have scalloped potatoes recipe - All that's Jas

must have scalloped potatoes recipe - All that's Jas

The only scalloped potatoes recipe you’ll ever need!

The only scalloped potatoes recipe you’ll ever need!

The only recipe for delicious, creamy, scalloped potatoes you'll ever need!

• 2 pounds potatoes (like Idaho or Russet)
  • 1 ½ cups heavy cream
  • ½ cup milk
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 tablespoon sea salt
  • Butter for greasing
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Fresh thyme to garnish (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Peel, wash, and cut the potatoes into very thin slices using mandoline slicer or a knife.

Grease a baking dish with butter. Layer the potato slices into the baking dish. Pout the cream sauce evenly over the potatoes. Add fresh thyme leaves or sprigs if desired. Bake, covered for 1 hour, then uncover and bake 30 minutes longer or until tender. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper before serving.

The recipe is featured on Tumbleweed Contessa, Life on Lakeshore Drive, Shoestring Elegance, Marilyn’s Treats and Miz Helen’s Country Cottage.

Quick and Easy Asian Zucchini Salad
    March 4, 2017 at 11:41 pm

[…] Asian zucchini salad was a nice contrast to mustard pork chops and scalloped potatoes we had for dinner the other day. It’s easily a new favorite and it takes no time to […]

2. […] No fingers were cut in the making of the […]

3. […] Scalloped Potatoes from All That’s Jas […]

Mary-the boondocks blog
    February 24, 2017 at 3:56 am

Jas I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your friend and dentist. You never know what is lurking underneath a person. I think I tried scalloped potatoes a few times years ago but I had added cheese. This should be a great recipe for me to give them another try.
    Mary-the boondocks blog recently posted…An Easy Repurpose of a T-shirt into Wall ArtMy Profile

February 25, 2017 at 9:23 am

Thank you, Mary, for you kind words….
      I should try them with cheese, sounds yummy.

Lynda
    February 19, 2017 at 12:46 pm

I haven’t had scalloped potatoes in so long! This looks very much like my mom used to make them. Can’t wait to give it a try – pinning. 🙂
    Lynda recently posted…Awesome Life Friday #100My Profile

February 19, 2017 at 8:15 pm

Mom’s cooking is always the best 🙂 Thank you, Lynda!

Marilyn Lesniak
    February 18, 2017 at 1:54 pm

Congratulations! Your post was my feature pick from my Commenters at #ThursdayFavoriteThings this week. Visit me at http://marilynstreats.com on Wednesday evening and to see your feature and grab your badge! All hosts choose their own features so be sure to return to my blog. I invite you to leave more links to be shared and commented upon.

February 18, 2017 at 7:36 pm

Hi, Marilyn, what an honor! Thank you so much, you made my day 😀 I’ll be stopping by for sure! Hope you’re having a great weekend!

Katrin
    February 18, 2017 at 2:14 am

So sorry to hear about those awful news Jas, now wonder you were shocked and distracted. Your recipe looks delicious and amazing as always and potatoes are one of our favourite winter dishes, I will have to try your version! Hugs!
    Katrin recently posted…Sweet Inspiration #44My Profile

February 18, 2017 at 7:39 pm

Thank you, Katrin, that is very kind of you. XOXO

Sam Franklin
    February 17, 2017 at 4:49 pm

Mmm I like the sound of this! I have pinned it as I think that I am going to try making it next week 🙂

February 17, 2017 at 9:29 pm

Thank you, Sam! We love it and I hope you’ll like it too 😀

Marie|The Interior Frugalista
    February 17, 2017 at 3:44 pm

I am so afraid of those mandolins. My daughter’s new mother-in-law was making a huge batch of scalloped potatoes for the wedding…well let’s just say one hand was completely bandaged the day of the wedding. I love scalloped potatoes and will definitely give your recipe a try – cutting them with a knife. lol Pinned
    Marie|The Interior Frugalista recently posted…Craft Supply Goodie Box GiveawayMy Profile

February 17, 2017 at 9:24 pm

Oh, no! Ouch. Yeah, that’s an evil little gadget, lol. I’ll be using a knife next time too! Enjoy your weekend, Marie!

jasna
    February 16, 2017 at 7:04 pm

Looking so good (i hope It wasn’t very painful ); I don’t know a single person who doesn’t like scalloped potatoes. Cheers from Sydney

February 16, 2017 at 10:16 pm

Thanks, Jasna! What’s not to like, right? Have a great weekend ahead!

February 15, 2017 at 11:21 pm

At least you have a cute bandaid to fix the booboo! I am sorry to hear of the sad news that had you distracted, but I’d have to get my mandolin anyway. It’s the only way I can get even slices and still get done today! 😉 Maybe finger guard is in order? I’ve had scalloped potatoes on my brain lately. Now I want them even more!
    Carlee recently posted…Marlene’s Sour Cream Cookies – Rolled VersionMy Profile

February 16, 2017 at 10:17 am

Thank you, Carlee. I do have finger guard (oh, that’s what you call it, ha) but wasn’t using it. I know better now, lol.

February 15, 2017 at 4:43 pm

Hahhahah! I made that last week too! Except I don’t use mandolin (Scared of it as hell. :p ) Good thing is the Dutch supermarket sells those taters already sliced nicely. I added chopped smoked chicken deli as well. Thsi si a wonderful recipe, Jas! 🙂

February 15, 2017 at 11:08 pm

Great minds think alike! 😀

Mrs Shoes
    February 15, 2017 at 12:56 pm

I’ve thought often of getting a mandoline – it’s only the thought of blood spatter that keeps me slicing with a paring knife.

February 15, 2017 at 11:11 pm

Smart choice! You’d think I’ve learned my lesson when I almost sliced my pinky off a few years ago. It even came with a whatchamacallit holder/protector but I never use it.