Do you know the golden rules of breaking up? No? Well, you’re in luck because right here and now I will reveal the most important one: always make copies of his/hers recipes you love and then run. You can thank me later. It actually happened to me once, ages ago, the guy whom I briefly dated called after the breakup and asked for my potato-stuffed bell pepper recipe (he was vegetarian). Dude, seriously?
This salad recipe, as the name suggests, is from my ex and it traveled with me here all the way from Germany decades ago. Yes, it is that good. If he is reading this (we are friends on social media) I truly apologize for any heartache I might have caused. Breakups are tough even when you want them. Do I crawl into a fetal position and cry all day? No. Do I regret the relationship? No. If it’s good, it’s wonderful and if it’s bad, it’s an experience. Love is a fire, but you can never tell whether it is going to warm your heart or burn down your house. So, I always try to remember the good things and hey, this salad was one of them. The salad dressing is unique and has a zing. And a combination of spices is just right to make this German style Tex-Mex salad delicious.
The salad pairs well with grilled meat, but it also stands as a meal all on its own.
For the Salad:
1 – 15 oz. can Red or Kidney Beans
1 – 8 oz. can Corn
1 can Tuna in oil
2 Bell Peppers (red and green for colors)
1 seedless Cucumber
3 hard boiled Eggs
For the Salad Dressing:
1 cup Mayonnaise (any kind, I use light)
2 tablespoons Curry Ketchup (can be substituted with regular)
2 tablespoons Tuna Oil (reserved from the can)
2 tablespoons Milk (optional)
1/2 teaspoon Curry powder
1/4 teaspoon Chili powder
1/4 teaspoon grated Nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon Onion powder
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Salt
Pinch of Sugar
Chop peppers, cucumber and eggs and place into a medium-sized bowl. Drain tuna reserving the oil. Add beans and corn.
In a small bowl mix all ingredients for the dressing until well combined. Add milk if dressing is too thick.
Chill the salad before serving.
Enjoy and remember: it is never too early to snatch that favorite recipe 😉
- 1 - 15 oz. can Red or Kidney Beans
- 1 - 8 oz. can Corn
- 1 can Tuna in oil
- 2 Bell Peppers red and green for colors
- 1 seedless Cucumber
- 3 hard boiled Eggs
- 1 cup Mayonnaise any kind, I use light
- 2 tablespoons Curry Ketchup can be substituted with regular
- 2 tablespoons Tuna Oil reserved from the can
- 2 tablespoons Milk optional
- 1/2 teaspoon Curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon grated Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Salt
- Pinch of Sugar
- Chop peppers, cucumber and eggs and place into a medium-size bowl.
- Drain tuna reserving the oil. Add beans and corn.
- In a small bowl mix all ingredients for the dressing until well combined. Add milk if dressing is too thick.
- Chill the salad before serving.
Looking forward to connecting to you soon.
If you would like updates of all my posts, visit my All that’s Jas Facebook page.