Sopa de Pollo (Mexican Chicken Soup)
When it comes to making soups I tend to stick with the old, tested, familiar recipes. You know the soups which, while cooking, fill the house with the soothing aroma of your childhood. Yeah, those! This time I decided to venture out of my comfort zone and make a soup I haven’t had the pleasure of tasting before. Mexican chicken soup, or sopa de pollo to be exact, is one of those soups.
I know, I need to get out more often.
Although cooking this soup filled my house with someone else’s childhood aroma, it was still delightful. And I couldn’t wait to taste it. Then I looked at this chunky soup in my bowl and hesitated for a moment: I don’t like celery all that much and there was a considerable amount of celery looking back at me. Oh well, I thought, the worst-case scenario would be that Husband has his lunches covered for the next three days. I was wrong. This soup is full of flavor! Low in fat and loaded with veggies it is also very healthy, gluten-free and Paleo approved. If that’s too healthy for your taste add shredded Cheddar cheese and/or tortilla strips.
1 large boneless, skinless Chicken breast, diced
1 (16 oz.) can of diced Tomatoes
1 onion, diced
2 cups chicken Broth
1 cup shredded Carrots
1 cup chopped Celery
2 Garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon Tomato Paste
1 teaspoon Chili powder
1 teaspoon Cumin
1 teaspoon crushed Pepper Flakes (optional)
1 cup Water
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
Salt and Black Pepper to taste
Lime or Lemon Juice
In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, and crushed pepper and sauté until soft. Add remaining ingredients, cover the pot and let cook on low for 1 hour. Using two forks, or your preferred method, break the chicken apart and into shreds. To serve sprinkle with lime or lemon juice, chopped cilantro and top with fresh avocado slices.
You could make this Mexican chicken soup in a crock pot, the old “set it and forget it” way. Just make sure you remember it after a couple of hours!
- 1 large boneless skinless Chicken breast, diced
- 1 16 oz. can of diced Tomatoes
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cups chicken Broth
- 1 cup shredded Carrots
- 1 cup chopped Celery
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 teaspoon Chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed Pepper Flakes optional
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- To serve:
- Lime or Lemon Juice
- In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, garlic and crushed pepper and sauté until soft. Add remaining ingredients, cover the pot and let cook on low for 1 hour.
- Using two forks, or your preferred method, break the chicken apart and into shreds.
- To serve sprinkle with lime or lemon juice, chopped cilantro and top with fresh avocado slices.
- You could make this Mexican chicken soup in a crock pot, the old "set it and forget it" way. Just make sure you remember it after a couple of hours!
Featured on Tidy Mom.