Grownup Muffins with Red Wine, Hazelnuts, & Black Pepper

P

I’m always intrigued by unexpected ingredients in recipes that you generally wouldn’t dream of blending. I’m still too chicken to experiment with it on my own but when I get across such recipe my excitement, after the initial surprise, is indescribable. I found this one on one of the German food sites I follow. Some turn out amazing and others are disappointing. I speak for myself as I am no qualified food critic and de gustibus non est disputandum – there is no accounting for taste. Hazelnuts are my favorite nuts (huge Nutella lover here) and the idea of combining them with red wine and black pepper (!) in sweet muffins has raised my eyebrows. They turned out pretty good but not exceptional like I think my mountain muffins are, but then again – every man to his taste. If you like weird flavor combinations too I would definitely recommend this recipe. I made a small batch but feel free to double the ingredients, just don’t feed them to your kids. This is a grownup version and alcohol never really evaporates by cooking.

Grownup Muffins with Red Wine, Hazelnuts, & Black Pepper

1 ½ teaspoon Vanilla sugar or Vanilla Extract
½ teaspoon Cinnamon
1 cup ground Hazelnuts
¼ cup chopped Hazelnuts
½ cup mini Chocolate Chips
1 teaspoon Rum
3 tablespoons Red Wine (like Dornfelder)

Glaze
1 cup powder Sugar
½ tablespoons freshly ground Black Pepper
2 tablespoons Red Wine

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease or line the muffin tin with paper liners. I used large liners that don’t fit in my muffin tin and I placed them on a cookie sheet. Set aside.

With an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until combined. Mix in eggs and vanilla and beat until foamy, about five minutes. Combine all dry ingredients and gradually add to the egg mixture. Slowly pour the red wine and rum and continue to stir to a creamy texture.

Fill the prepared liners three quarters full with the muffin batter. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out either clean or with only a few crumbs clinging to it. Remove muffins from the oven and let them cool down on cooling rack.

Mix all ingredients for the glaze and pour evenly over still warm muffins. Sprinkle with more black pepper if desired or decorate with hazelnuts or chocolate shavings.

Grownup Muffins with Red Wine, Hazelnuts, & Black Pepper

Grownup Muffins with Red Wine, Hazelnuts, & Black Pepper

Grownup Muffins with Red Wine, Hazelnuts, & Black Pepper

Grownup Muffins with Red Wine, Hazelnuts, & Black Pepper

Grownup Muffins with Red Wine, Hazelnuts, & Black Pepper

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

Yield: 6

Grownup Muffins with Red Wine, Hazelnuts, & Black Pepper

Pairing red wine, hazelnut and black pepper in a sweet muffin feels rebellious and the taste of this grownup treat is hard to describe. You just have to try it for yourself.

• Muffins
  • 1 stick Butter, softened
  • 3 Eggs
  • ½ cup Sugar
  • 1 cup all-purpose Flour
  • 2 tablespoons Cornstarch
  • 1 ½ teaspoon Cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Powder or Cream of Tartar
  • 1 ½ teaspoon Vanilla sugar or Vanilla Extract
  • ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
  • 1 cup ground Hazelnuts
  • ¼ cup chopped Hazelnuts
  • ½ cup mini Chocolate Chips
  • 1 teaspoon Rum
  • 3 tablespoons Red Wine (like Dornfelder)
  • Glaze
  • 1 cup powder Sugar
  • ½ tablespoons freshly ground Black Pepper
  • 2 tablespoons Red Wine

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease or line the muffin tin with paper liners. I used large liners that don't fit in my muffin tin and I placed them on a cookie sheet. Set aside.

Remove muffins from the oven and let them cool down on cooling rack.

Notes

Make smaller portions in a mini muffin tin. They are great little bites with coffee or tea.

This recipe was most viewed and is featured at Sweet and Savoury Sundays

Looking forward to connecting to you soon.

For more quick recipes and tips follow my All that’s Jas Facebook page or social network of your preference. It makes my day 🙂

Jasmin
    March 30, 2015 at 4:48 pm

I love the idea of putting black pepper into dessert, and these muffins tempt me to try them out asap, just to see, how would my taste buds react 🙂

March 31, 2015 at 9:20 am

Lol, I love your reasoning – ‘just to see how would my taste buds react’. I am addicted to freshly ground black pepper, but this was my first time putting it in a dessert. It was quite alright, but we all have different taste buds, right? Thanks for stopping by 🙂

Sherry
    March 6, 2015 at 7:43 am

What a good flavor combination! Thanks for linking up to Funtastic Friday. Hope you can make it again this week.

March 6, 2015 at 11:08 am

sgarrison05
    March 3, 2015 at 9:42 am

What an interesting combination but these look delicious! Thank you so much for sharing with us at Talented Tuesdays. I hope you can join us again this week.

March 3, 2015 at 10:41 am

Thank you for visiting!

4. […] Chocolate Crumb Cake by Living the Gourmet * Most viewed link this week   Grown up Muffins by All That’s Jas * […]

Laura@ Baking In Pyjamas
    February 28, 2015 at 6:26 am

I always am intrigued with unique recipes too, I like the sound of hazelnuts, rum and the chocolate in these. This has been the most viewed link on Sweet and Savoury Sundays. Stop by, grab a button and link up again with us this weekend. Have a great day!

February 28, 2015 at 8:05 am

Aw Laura, you made my day! Thank you and have a great weekend!

threekidsandafish
    February 25, 2015 at 9:59 pm

Love your blog, and your recipes look great! Saying hello from create it Thursday! Loving these muffins and the ingredients in them, so creative! I am your newest follower! 🙂
    Cathy

February 26, 2015 at 8:07 am

Thank you Cathy for your kind words and thank you for visiting! Your blog is nothing short of awesome and I followed you back. Hugs!

February 24, 2015 at 11:44 pm

Stunning post with a delicious little muffin I can’t wait to try and your photos are just amazing. Already pinned! Can you send me more information about your link up your Thursday link up?

February 25, 2015 at 9:09 am

Aw, thanks Bam! I’m never happy with my photos and it means a lot to me that someone thinks they’re good. I still struggle to get the colors crisp and sharp like yours. As for the Thursday link up, just watch out for new post on my blog every Thursday (actually it will be published every Wednesday at 8 pm Mountain Time (10 pm where I’m at) There will be a link button on the bottom of the post and all you have to do is click on it and enter a link to your post (up to three). It is super easy to do and the party is hosted on 5 different blogs, so that means tons of exposure for your posts. Hope to see you there! XO

February 27, 2015 at 1:37 am

Thank you for the link up info… looking forward to meeting some new bloggers. I am never happy with my photos. I am my own worst critic… I take about a million of them and hope that at least one turns out…LOL Take Care

February 27, 2015 at 9:25 am

I hear you…same here….it is quite frustrating sometimes. I have my doubts even with the ones I picked as best….sigh….the life of a blogger, right? Hugs

Thalia @ butter and brioche
    February 24, 2015 at 11:22 pm

Everything about these muffins is just perfect! LOVE the addition of red wine.. and black pepper too – I often use pepper in my baking much to the surprise of others and am glad to see someone else doing the same. These look divine!

February 25, 2015 at 9:03 am

Thanks Thalia…..they are quite different and tasty. I can say that I am addicted to fresh ground black pepper (if there isn’t such a thing I shall invent it, lol) and haven’t used it in sweets until now, but am liking the fusion. The ingredients you use in your baking are inspirational, I’m always in awe!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida
    February 24, 2015 at 8:30 pm

I’m not sure that I would find these to my taste either, but I am most intrigued with what appeared to be a cheese grater used to powder nuts. Is this correct? If so, it’s brilliant!

February 25, 2015 at 8:58 am

You made me giggle Pattie! That is actually a nut grater, very important gadget (rarely found in the USA – perhaps on Amazon?) in Europe and a staple in my home-country as we bake a lot with ground nuts, but why yes, you can definitely use a cheese grater to powder nuts. 😀

Cheyanne
    February 24, 2015 at 6:47 pm

Love the flavor combination you have going on with these muffins! They sound scrumptious! Thank you for sharing♡

February 25, 2015 at 8:52 am

Thanks for visiting Cheyanne (what a lovely name, btw). These were sweet yet tangy and hard to describe the exact flavor. Hope to see you again. Hugs!

Audrey@That Recipe
    February 24, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Wow, what an intriguing combination. I never would have thought to make muffins with wine in them.

saw this on Talented Tuesdays

February 25, 2015 at 8:50 am

Me neither Audrey….but I learned a lot about flavor combinations while I lived in Germany. They are much bolder that way, lol. Thanks for stopping by 🙂

Mary
    February 24, 2015 at 9:38 am

These definitely sound interesting, will be trying them. I like the idea of making them in mini tins size! Ps found u on the Winthrop chronicles share it link party

February 24, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Hi Mary and thanks for stopping by. Off to check out your blog. Hugs 🙂

Leovi
    February 24, 2015 at 3:15 am

Thank you very much, Very interesting your recipe, great photos!