Thursday Favorite Things 211

Yugoslavia - All that's Jas

Gah! I will never brag about an amazing week again. I think I jinxed it. Sick grandchild, a surgery in my husband’s future, scary health news for me…please stop! Yet, life goes on…

People still ask me, on occasion, about my trip home. Now that the impressions are not as fresh, I have to stop and think. Of course, it was nice and that’s all anyone wants to hear, but I’m still sorting through it for myself. The lingering feeling of belonging but not belonging anymore. It’s tough to explain and tough to understand if you never lived anyplace else.

My daughter’s friend shared an article about kids from our country growing up in America. It is so spot on it’s almost funny. Almost – because it’s not funny to have one culture run through your veins and grow up in another, or two. These kids grew up confused, but with a sense of pride. My daughter was six when we left Bosnia for Germany and twelve when we moved to Indiana.

To help you through the article, here are meanings behind the Bosnian words:

Sarma – stuffed, cured cabbage leaves. The kind sauerkraut is made from. I’ll share the recipe here soon enough. Until then, try my unstuffed sarma soup.

Pašteta – liver pâté or braunschweiger, canned like soft cat food (at least that’s what my husband says).

Suvo meso – smoked meat like ribs, sausages, bacon, prosciutto etc. Remember the photo of a meat plate I shared while visiting home?

Amerikanac  – an American.

Ajvar  – a type of relish/spread made of roasted red peppers, eggplants, and garlic. It takes a whole day to make and yes, ajvar is delicious!

Halid Bešlić – popular folk and sevdah singer.

Grah – means beans, but it’s referred to thick bean soup, made with suvo meso (see translation above). Here’s a great recipe from my friend Sibella.

Yugoslavia - All that's Jas

Yugoslavia

Thursday Favorite Things is live! All content is shared on eight awesome blogs! #bloghop… Click To Tweet

Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop

Welcome to the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. We invite you to link up and share your favorite post or a post about your favorite things.

We can’t wait to see what you share!

new-logo

KatherineKatherines Corner || Twitter || Pinterest || Facebook || Google + || Instagram || Bloglovin’||
NinaVintage Mama’s Cottage || Twitter || Pinterest || Facebook || Google + || Instagram || Bloglovin’||
DebiSurroundings by Debi || Twitter || Pinterest || Facebook || Google + || Instagram || Bloglovin’||
JasAll That’s Jas || Twitter || Pinterest || Facebook || Google + || Instagram || Bloglovin’||
ErikaWhat Erika Wears || Twitter || Pinterest || Facebook || Google + || Instagram || Bloglovin’||
BettyMy Cozy Corner || Twitter || Pinterest || Facebook || Google + || Instagram || Bloglovin’||
RinaI Thee Cook || Twitter || Pinterest || Facebook || Google + || Instagram || Bloglovin’||
RosemaryAn Italian in My Kitchen || Twitter || Pinterest || Facebook || Google + || Instagram || Bloglovin’||

rule

Thursday Favorite Things Button

Adding your link to this blog hop gives Katherine and her hostesses permission to share your posts and pictures via social media, on Pinterest and as features on their blogs.

Looking forward to connecting with you soon.

For more quick recipes and tips follow my All that’s Jas Facebook page or social network of your preference. It makes my day 🙂

October 26, 2015 at 5:34 am

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family and hoping that your sick grandbaby, your hubby heals well from his surgery and a virtual hug coming your way to you as I think you need this the most. Let me know if you need anything. I think my kids are going to be the same way…confused being born in US but essentially raised in Asia…they are definitely more open minded than most and are very patient and accepting of others since living abroad. Sometimes I don’t know what to call home anymore… Do you feel the same way?
    Bam’s Kitchen recently posted…South African BobotieMy Profile

October 26, 2015 at 7:16 pm

Thank you so much, my friend! Yes, I most definitely feel the same way, but there’s nothing wrong with having multiple homes. They are all special in their own way. Look how Asia influenced your boys! 🙂 Have a glorious week, Bobbi!

Mary-In the boondocks
    October 22, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Jas, I just finished that article about the children. I am also one of those children who grew up in America, went back to Greece and feels like a stranger most of the time. And now my children have moved back to America… so it goes. It seems to never end, this back and forth. I guess we should say we are lucky to have the wisdom that living in 2 or 3 in your case, countires gives us. Thanks for suggesting we read this very thoughtful article .
    Mary-In the boondocks recently posted…The Twine Lady Returns – Επιστρέφει η Κυρά ΣπάγγουMy Profile

October 23, 2015 at 9:43 am

Thank you, Mary, for taking the time to read it. I found it very interesting. Of, course there are many more aspects we could add, but I agree completely with you that we can consider ourselves lucky. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Lou Lou Girls
    October 22, 2015 at 11:51 am

Hello beautiful! I’m loving your party! Thank you for hosting. Please join us at our party that goes until Friday at 7 pm. We pin and tweet everything! Lou Lou Girls

October 22, 2015 at 12:03 pm

Thank you for joining us! We love having you 🙂

My Rose Colored Shades
    October 22, 2015 at 7:44 am

I can definitely relate to growing up in a dichotomy of cultures, the one of the country I was living in and one that my parents were instilling in me at home. There were definitely times of frustration and confusion but I also see it as a blessing to have grown up exposed to and sensitive to different cultures.
    My Rose Colored Shades recently posted…Weekly Wisdom: When You Feel the Spirit Nudging…My Profile

October 22, 2015 at 9:49 am

Yes, definitely a blessing, Cynthia, no matter the circumstances. Thanks for always joining us, we love having you!

Susan the Farm Quilter
    October 21, 2015 at 11:35 pm

Wow, that was quite an interesting read…something that most Americans don’t have a clue about. We have maybe moved from one state to another, but that’s about it. I wish I had known more about this when I was teaching since I had students from Vietnam, the Philippines and Mexico.
    Susan the Farm Quilter recently posted…A Lovely Year of Finishes – October GoalMy Profile

October 22, 2015 at 9:52 am

I assume that would’ve been helpful information 🙂 There are many things we are ignorant about and sometimes is not the amount of education that can enlighten us but the experience. Thanks for stopping in and have a glorious day, Susan!