How to make the best mashed potatoes from scratch

how to make the best mashed potatoes from scratch - All that's Jas

One secret ingredient makes this the best mashed potatoes.

How to make the best mashed potatoes from scratch

For my first work-related potluck here in the States, I worked my fingers to the bone making a complex dish from my home country wanting to leave a good impression. Just as I was entering the break room my colleagues shouted in excitement.

No, they weren’t happy to see me.

The excitement was about another dish. Someone brought a bowl of mashed potatoes! What’s the big deal, I asked. They aren’t your regular mashed potatoes, they exclaimed, they are MADE FROM SCRATCH!!! What the fork?!

Why would you EVER have any other kind???

My dish did OK, but it didn’t get the rave reviews as the said mashed potatoes. Although food made from scratch is the best, I never thought homemade mashed potatoes would bring so much joy to the masses.

Mashed potatoes are not even worthy the blog, I thought, until my daughter insisted I put our home recipe here revealing the secret ingredient. So here it is. Finally, let’s learn how to make the best mashed potatoes from scratch. Take it or go buy a box of…whatever it is in it, ’cause it ain’t mashed potatoes.

Mashed Potatoes From Scratch

One secret #ingredient makes the #best mashed #potatoes from #scratch. #mashedpotatoes… Click To Tweet

how to make the best mashed potatoes from scratch - All that's Jas

Serves 4

2 pounds potatoes
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon oil
2 tablespoons sour cream (the secret ingredient)
1 cup milk
Freshly ground black pepper
Chives for garnish (optional)

Peel, quarter, and rinse the potatoes. Put the potatoes in a pot, add the salt, and cover with cold water.

Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and cook until tender but still firm, about 15-20 minutes. Drain them well.

Meanwhile, heat the milk and butter in a small saucepan. Using a potato masher or electric beater, mash the potatoes with oil and sour cream. Add freshly ground black pepper. Slowly blend milk mixture into potatoes until smooth and silky creamy.

Garnish with chives before serving.

Serve alongside red wine goulash or meatloaf with hidden eggs.

Do you make mashed potatoes from scratch? Let me know in the comments!

how to make the best mashed potatoes from scratch - All that's Jas

how to make the best mashed potatoes from scratch - All that's Jas

how to make the best mashed potatoes from scratch - All that's Jas

How to make the best mashed potatoes from scratch

How to make the best mashed potatoes from scratch

One secret ingredient makes this the best mashed potatoes.

• 2 pounds potatoes
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 2 tablespoons sour cream (the secret ingredient)
  • 1 cup milk
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Chives for garnish (optional)

Heat the milk and butter in a small saucepan. Using a potato masher or electric beater, mash the potatoes with oil and sour cream. Add freshly ground black pepper. Slowly blend milk mixture into potatoes until smooth and silky creamy.

To serve, garnish with chives.

Recipe featured at The Boondocks Blog, Kreative K and Repurposing Junkie.

Rhonda
    September 21, 2017 at 3:04 am

Mashed Potatoes are big in my house. I love your recipe. Please share on my Sunday’s Best linkup. Starts every Saturday at 8:00 PM EST.

2. […] My heart was set on Italian chicken with artichoke sauce for dinner. I had peeled potatoes to make the best mashed potatoes and had all my ingredients out. What I found in the package was the other white meat. Instead of […]

Sherry
    February 18, 2017 at 8:00 pm

Yummy! I haven’t tried adding sour cream, but I have added heavy cream and chives. Thanks for sharing at Funtastic Friday.
    Sherry recently posted…12 Delicious Strawberry Recipes + Funtastic Friday 114 Link PartyMy Profile

February 18, 2017 at 10:36 pm

Heavy cream and chives! You’re taking mashed potatoes to a whole new level. Love the sound of that, Sherry. πŸ™‚

February 14, 2017 at 2:14 pm

Your Mashed Potatoes look amazing! Happy Valentine Day and thanks so much for sharing your awesome talent with us at Full Plate Thursday!
    Miz Helen recently posted…Baked Chocolate Mini DonutsMy Profile

February 14, 2017 at 10:05 pm

Thank you and thanks for stopping in!

Sage
    February 11, 2017 at 7:44 am

I always add sour cream to my mashed potatoes, but quite a but more than 1T per pound of potatoes ; -) My secret ingredient is garlic powder…
    Sage recently posted…Our Home Renovation NightmareMy Profile

February 11, 2017 at 8:35 pm

I love to add quite a bit more sour cream too, it’s just that I’m watching my girlish figure….grow, lol. I’ll try adding garlic powder next time, bet it’s awesome!

Sweet Inspiration #43 - KreativK
    February 10, 2017 at 11:01 am

[…] from All That’s Jas gives her secret for making these mouthwatering, from-scratch, mashed […]

7. […] Jas from All That’s Jas gives her secret for making these mouthwatering, from-scratch, mashed […]

Mary-the boondocks blog
    February 9, 2017 at 12:36 pm

Hah Jas. That was so funny. Sometimes people just like simple comfort food and not any sort of fancy stuff. I made a fancy lasagna for my son recently but he didn’t want it. You go figure. I will definitely be adding your special ingredient to mine next time.
    Mary-the boondocks blog recently posted…Bookcases upcycled with Paint and Wrapping PaperMy Profile

February 10, 2017 at 10:55 am

Kids, ha ha. But I totally get it. I, too, just want basic comfort food from my mom, like she used to make when I was little. πŸ™‚

Theresa @DearCreatives
    February 8, 2017 at 2:28 pm

I never use sour cream in mine but, might have to try that sometime. Thanks for sharing at the Inspiration Spotlight party. Pinned & Shared.
    Theresa @DearCreatives recently posted…Easy DIY Home Decor Mix & Match Modern Magnolia StyleMy Profile

February 8, 2017 at 4:49 pm

Hope you do, Theresa! πŸ™‚ Have a great rest of the day!

Laura
    February 8, 2017 at 8:18 am

Yum, my mouth is watering! These look delicious!

February 8, 2017 at 9:16 am

11. […] was the best I’ve ever had. And it was so good we barely had leftovers. I served it with my best mashed potatoes and […]

The Recipe Hunter (Cook & Enjoy)
    February 5, 2017 at 8:56 pm

WOW we’re basically using the same recipe. Boxes mash is not mash, only my personal view.
    I am also running a monthly Share and Inspire Others! Recipe Exchange and would like to personally invite you to participate. It will be awesome.
    Our Feb 2017 Share and Inspire Others! Recipe Exchange: Bread: Sweet and Savory.
    P,ease email me your entry midnight Feb 10th.
    Link: https://cookandenjoyrecipes.wordpress.com/2017/02/01/february-2017-share-and-inspire-others/
    Hope to hear from you.

February 5, 2017 at 10:25 pm

And it seems we run a similar cooking game too, ha! I’d be happy to participate, although I don’t have many bread recipes (weird, but true).

Cook & Enjoy
        February 5, 2017 at 10:55 pm

Thanks Jas, received your email and responded.

February 6, 2017 at 8:42 pm

Awesome!

rftallent
      February 6, 2017 at 12:03 pm

I make mine from scratch too, although I have never added sour cream. I’ve heard of adding a little mayonnaise (which I’ve never tried), but on special occasions I use garlic butter, or ranch dressing or dip. Cheese can also be added. I often use ranch dip in place of sour cream on baked potatoes, too.

February 6, 2017 at 8:40 pm

There are many ingredients you can add, although I have never tried mayonnaise myself. This recipe is my favorite because it’s my mom’s recipe and you know nothing beats mom’s food, no matter how old you are. It is simple enough and it doesn’t change the original flavor, but don’t get me wrong – I do love me some garlic mashed potatoes too!

February 5, 2017 at 5:53 am

I soooo agree with you Jas, nothing beats home made from scratch mashed potatoes and I’m really keen to add your secret ingredient to our next bowl. It sounds likes it’s going to be amazing

February 5, 2017 at 2:48 pm

Michelle, my daughter still wants me to bring her my mashed potatoes when she’s not feeling well, and she’s 31, lol. She thinks they’re magical, ha!

February 9, 2017 at 10:13 am

Okay we did it and they were amazing……….. Just wow. Thank you Jas

February 9, 2017 at 12:22 pm

Yay!!! Thanks for trusting me (’cause sometimes I don’t, lol).

Jeannee
    February 4, 2017 at 11:16 am

Jas,
    Thanks for sharing this great recipe! Home made mashed are the only type allowed in our house! My hubby will not eat instant so this is going to go in our recipe book! Jeannee
    #HomeMattersParty

February 5, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Thank you, Jeannee. I’m with your husband – say NO to instant mashed potatoes, lol. Thanks for stopping by!

February 3, 2017 at 10:47 pm

Too funny! Real mashed potatoes are sooooo good and I can see why they elicit cheers if you are used to what comes in the box. Sour cream is a delicious addition!
    Carlee recently posted…Di’s Porcupine Meatballs with Secret Ingredient SauceMy Profile

February 5, 2017 at 3:03 pm

I suppose, lol. It was just funny to see them so excited over something so ordinary.

February 3, 2017 at 5:57 pm

I agree that food made from scratch is the best, best ever! Hands down. All those instant food are not the same.

February 3, 2017 at 8:20 pm

You know it, Ann! πŸ˜€ XOXO

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com
    February 3, 2017 at 12:11 pm

I, too, have blogged about perfect mashed potatoes because mashed potatoes are my all-time favorite food! But a lot of people make bad mashed potatoes from scratch. And “from scratch,” please! Another secret to perfect mashed potatoes is getting every drop of water out of the cooked potatoes. After draining every drop of water, set the pan back on the burner, put the lid on and let it sit on the heat for about 15 seconds before turning off the heat. Your photos are giving me a huge craving for mashed potatoes (and I just had some yesterday!).
    Jean | DelightfulRepast.com recently posted…Cabbage and Kale Salad with Creamy Sesame Seed DressingMy Profile

February 3, 2017 at 8:16 pm

Yes, of course, getting the water out! I always do that too but it’s so second nature, I forgot it might be a new information for many. Very important detail, indeed. You’re absolutely right, you CAN make bad mashed potatoes from scratch. Thanks for the reminder!