Must-Have Scalloped Potatoes

must have scalloped potatoes recipe - All that's Jas

If your scalloped potatoes don’t turn quite the way you want, this is a recipe you must have!

must have scalloped potatoes recipe - All that's Jas

Using a mandoline slicer has proven to be painful if you get a bit distracted. My daughter will vouch that I’m like a magpie – easily distracted by shiny objects. Only this time my distraction was dull (unlike my mandoline) and a shade darker. Making scalloped potatoes was probably a bad idea.

My mind was preoccupied.

Within one week I have lost my grade school friend to breast cancer and heard of the tragic death of my dentist.  The news shook me up pretty significantly. I spoke to my friend a month earlier and was under the assumption that her cancer was still in the early stages. My dentist was young and enthusiastic and it’s hard to stomach that he was actually troubled and took his own life.

May they rest in peace.

Aside from my injury, surprisingly these scalloped potatoes turned out perfect! They were not dry or runny. Do you sometimes have that problem, where the potatoes don’t absorb the liquid and just kind of swim in a milky mess? Not sure if I used the wrong kind of potatoes or a wrong recipe, but that’s happened to me numerous times and I stopped making them for good.

must have scalloped potatoes recipe - All that's Jas

You know what comes next…

I gave scalloped potatoes one last shot with this recipe found in The Vatican Cookbook (which I adore). Lo and behold, they turned out amazing! Simple, flavorful, delicious! A must-have! Served alongside pork chops with mustard sauce.

You don’t want to miss that recipe, so if you haven’t signed up for our newsletter updates now would be a good time, or simply check back when you get a chance. No pressure. If you can’t wait, serve them with pork medallions or chicken, salad greens, or whatever tickles your fancy.

Husband approved the scalloped potatoes and I made them twice in one week. But don’t take my word for it, although I would never share a recipe I didn’t like. Just keep your eye on and your fingers off that mandoline slicer, for real!

P.S. The Sesame Street Band-Aid, courtesy of my granddaughter.

What’s in a name?

The term “to scallop” dates back to the 1400s. It refers to layering a thinly sliced main ingredient (often a vegetable) baked until tender in a typical type of creamy sauce, usually with cheese, as a casserole.

Must-Have Scalloped Potatoes Recipe

The only recipe for delicious, creamy, scalloped potatoes you'll ever need! #scallopedpotatoes Click To Tweet

must have scalloped potatoes recipe - All that's Jas

Serves 4-6

• 2 pounds potatoes (like Idaho or Russet)
  • 1 ½ cups heavy cream
  • ½ cup milk
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 tablespoon sea salt
  • Butter for greasing
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Fresh thyme to garnish (optional)

~ Free Tip ~

Note: just in case, put your dish on a baking pan or a jelly roll pan. First time I made this recipe I didn’t need it, but the second time the cream leaked over the rim. I think I sliced an extra potato and my dish was too crowded.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Peel, wash, and cut the potatoes into very thin slices using a mandoline slicer or a knife.
  3. Heat the heavy cream, milk, and butter over medium-high heat until the butter is melted. Season the cream with salt.
  4. Grease a baking dish with butter. Layer the potato slices into the baking dish. Pour the cream sauce evenly over the potatoes. Add fresh thyme leaves or sprigs if desired.
  5. Bake, covered for 1 hour, then uncover and bake 30 minutes longer or until tender. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper before serving. Enjoy.

must have scalloped potatoes recipe - All that's Jas

I can’t wait to make this again. Such a simple, yummy dish. Let me know how it turned out for you. Do you have a no-fail scalloped potatoes recipe of yours? Please share!

must have scalloped potatoes recipe - All that's Jas

4.88 from 8 votes
Must-Have Scalloped Potatoes
Prep Time
15 mins
Cook Time
30 mins
Total Time
45 mins

The only recipe for delicious, creamy, scalloped potatoes you'll ever need!
Course: Side Dish
Cuisine: Italian
Servings: 4
Author: Jas
  • 2 pounds potatoes like Idaho or Russet
  • 1 ½ cups heavy cream
  • ½ cup milk
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 garlic clove minced
  • 1 tablespoon sea salt
  • Butter for greasing
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Fresh thyme to garnish optional
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Peel, wash, and cut the potatoes into very thin slices using mandoline slicer or a knife.
  4. Grease a baking dish with butter. Layer the potato slices into the baking dish. Pout the cream sauce evenly over the potatoes. Add fresh thyme leaves or sprigs if desired. Bake, covered for 1 hour, then uncover and bake 30 minutes longer or until tender. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper before serving.
Recipe Notes

~ Free Tip ~

Note: just in case, put your dish on a baking pan or a jelly roll pan. First time I made this recipe I didn't need it, but the second time the cream leaked over the rim. I think I sliced an extra potato and my dish was too crowded.

Featured on: Tumbleweed Contessa, Life on Lakeshore Drive, Shoestring Elegance, Marilyn’s Treats, Eight Pepperberries, Carrie’s Home Cooking, The Cottage Market, and Miz Helen’s Country Cottage.

Pin it now: Must-Have Scalloped Potatoes

Must-Have Scalloped Potatoes are super creamy and garlicky. This simple Italian recipe is the best and only recipe for scalloped potatoes you'll ever need. | allthatsjas.com | #potatoes, #glutenfree #scalloped #Italian #vegetarian #vegetables #sidedish

Jas is a cheesecake addict and the author of Balkan Comfort Food cookbook available on Amazon. You can download a free excerpt of the book when you subscribe to All that's Jas newsletter updates or purchase the full version below. To learn more about Jas visit her About page.

Mrs Shoes
    February 15, 2017 at 12:56 pm

I’ve thought often of getting a mandoline – it’s only the thought of blood spatter that keeps me slicing with a paring knife.

February 15, 2017 at 11:11 pm

Smart choice! You’d think I’ve learned my lesson when I almost sliced my pinky off a few years ago. It even came with a whatchamacallit holder/protector but I never use it.

February 15, 2017 at 4:43 pm

Hahhahah! I made that last week too! Except I don’t use mandolin (Scared of it as hell. :p ) Good thing is the Dutch supermarket sells those taters already sliced nicely. I added chopped smoked chicken deli as well. Thsi si a wonderful recipe, Jas! 🙂

February 15, 2017 at 11:08 pm

Great minds think alike! 😀

February 15, 2017 at 11:21 pm

At least you have a cute bandaid to fix the booboo! I am sorry to hear of the sad news that had you distracted, but I’d have to get my mandolin anyway. It’s the only way I can get even slices and still get done today! 😉 Maybe finger guard is in order? I’ve had scalloped potatoes on my brain lately. Now I want them even more!

February 16, 2017 at 10:17 am

Thank you, Carlee. I do have finger guard (oh, that’s what you call it, ha) but wasn’t using it. I know better now, lol.

jasna
    February 16, 2017 at 7:04 pm

Looking so good (i hope It wasn’t very painful ); I don’t know a single person who doesn’t like scalloped potatoes. Cheers from Sydney

February 16, 2017 at 10:16 pm

Thanks, Jasna! What’s not to like, right? Have a great weekend ahead!

Marie|The Interior Frugalista
    February 17, 2017 at 3:44 pm

I am so afraid of those mandolins. My daughter’s new mother-in-law was making a huge batch of scalloped potatoes for the wedding…well let’s just say one hand was completely bandaged the day of the wedding. I love scalloped potatoes and will definitely give your recipe a try – cutting them with a knife. lol Pinned

February 17, 2017 at 9:24 pm

Oh, no! Ouch. Yeah, that’s an evil little gadget, lol. I’ll be using a knife next time too! Enjoy your weekend, Marie!

Sam Franklin
    February 17, 2017 at 4:49 pm

Mmm I like the sound of this! I have pinned it as I think that I am going to try making it next week 🙂

February 17, 2017 at 9:29 pm

Thank you, Sam! We love it and I hope you’ll like it too 😀

Katrin
    February 18, 2017 at 2:14 am

So sorry to hear about those awful news Jas, now wonder you were shocked and distracted. Your recipe looks delicious and amazing as always and potatoes are one of our favourite winter dishes, I will have to try your version! Hugs!

February 18, 2017 at 7:39 pm

Thank you, Katrin, that is very kind of you. XOXO

Marilyn Lesniak
    February 18, 2017 at 1:54 pm

Congratulations! Your post was my feature pick from my Commenters at #ThursdayFavoriteThings this week. Visit me at http://marilynstreats.com on Wednesday evening and to see your feature and grab your badge! All hosts choose their own features so be sure to return to my blog. I invite you to leave more links to be shared and commented upon.

February 18, 2017 at 7:36 pm

Hi, Marilyn, what an honor! Thank you so much, you made my day 😀 I’ll be stopping by for sure! Hope you’re having a great weekend!

Lynda
    February 19, 2017 at 12:46 pm

I haven’t had scalloped potatoes in so long! This looks very much like my mom used to make them. Can’t wait to give it a try – pinning. 🙂

February 19, 2017 at 8:15 pm

Mom’s cooking is always the best 🙂 Thank you, Lynda!

Mary-the boondocks blog
    February 24, 2017 at 3:56 am

Jas I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your friend and dentist. You never know what is lurking underneath a person. I think I tried scalloped potatoes a few times years ago but I had added cheese. This should be a great recipe for me to give them another try.

February 25, 2017 at 9:23 am

Thank you, Mary, for you kind words….
      I should try them with cheese, sounds yummy.

11. […] Scalloped Potatoes from All That’s Jas […]

12. […] No fingers were cut in the making of the […]

Quick and Easy Asian Zucchini Salad
    March 4, 2017 at 11:41 pm

[…] Asian zucchini salad was a nice contrast to mustard pork chops and scalloped potatoes we had for dinner the other day. It’s easily a new favorite and it takes no time to […]

Mother of 3
    January 7, 2018 at 7:24 am

Those do look quite yummy; I often have the same problem where the potatoes just seem to be in a milky mess so I’ll have to try this recipe.

January 7, 2018 at 9:05 pm

Yeah, I find it tricky too but these were so creamy and perfect. 🙂

Linda on Poinsettia Drive
    January 9, 2018 at 7:15 am

My favorite. Scallop potatoes is part of my comfort food list. Creamy goodness.

January 9, 2018 at 10:43 pm

Totally agree with you, Linda! 😀 Thanks for stopping in!

Jess
    January 9, 2018 at 10:05 am

PINNED! YUMMY!! 🙂

I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

January 9, 2018 at 10:46 pm

Thank you, Jess! 😀

Jan
    January 11, 2018 at 7:13 am

Oh gosh those look so good! I’d love for you to come share at Let’s Party! We look forward to you sharing! https://themarkandjanshow.com/2018/01/10/lets-party-3/

January 12, 2018 at 4:32 pm

Thank you, Jan! See you there 🙂

Debbie Harris
    January 11, 2018 at 10:33 pm

Hi Jas, I really enjoyed this recipe and will save it for the cooler weather. Have pinned it on our group board. Thanks for sharing with us at the Blogger’s Pit Stop.

January 12, 2018 at 4:38 pm

Hi, Debbie! We got it quite cool here (-14F/-28C) and I can’t wait for the warmer weather. Enjoy yours! 😀

TurksWhoEat
    January 12, 2018 at 10:05 am

I’m sorry to hear about your tough week 🙁 You are definitely in need of some comfort food like these potatoes.

January 12, 2018 at 4:42 pm

Comfort food fixes everything! Thank you 🙂

Debrashoppeno5
    January 12, 2018 at 6:26 pm

I hope your hand is doing better. It can be shocking to learn of someone’s death. Your scalloped potatoes recipe sounds so good. I have been thinking of my mom’s recipe lately. Yours is a little fancier and I definitely want to try it.

January 13, 2018 at 3:00 pm

Thanks, Debra! It’s never easy to learn of someone’s passing. I don’t think this dish is fancier than your mom’s. I actually like how simple it is. 🙂 Hugs!

Sandra L Garth
    January 12, 2018 at 7:21 pm

So sorry that you received bad news. I’ve had a couple of run-ins with my mandoline and once should have been enough. Even though I’m trying to cut back on potatoes and rice I have to make these. I also love the pan you cooked them in. Where did you find it? Thanks for sharing with us at Celebrate Your Story and have a great weekend.

January 13, 2018 at 3:20 pm

Thank you, Sandra! I found the baking dish on Amazon, of course. I love it. 🙂 Here’s my affiliate link.

Leslie
    January 12, 2018 at 7:47 pm

OMG this looks so tasty! I love potatoes just about any time, but smother them in cheese and cream, and you’ve got me. So sorry to hear about your friends. That is completely heartbreaking.

January 13, 2018 at 3:22 pm

Thank you, my dear! It sure is. XOXO

Jann Olson
    January 12, 2018 at 9:15 pm

So sorry about your friend and dentist. It truly is so sad when someone takes their life! I love scalloped potatoes every now and then, These look delicious1 Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

January 13, 2018 at 3:02 pm

Yes, it is tragic! Thanks, Jann. Appreciate it.

Michelle Leslie
    January 13, 2018 at 2:38 am

Oh Jas I’m so sorry to hear about your friend and your dentist. I see it’s almost a year ago that you made these yummy looking scalloped potatoes but I do hope that the hurt has gotten a little less. Scalloped potatoes are always such a delicious treat and I do believe we have one of those contraptions in the kitchen cupboard somewhere. I think I’ll wear my welding gloves though if I try cut the potatoes 😀

January 13, 2018 at 3:25 pm

Thanks, sweetie! It’s hard to forget the loss of a childhood friend.
      Welding gloves when handling a mandoline are highly recommended. Why didn’t I think of that, LOL. Thanks for the giggle! XO

Sue Ready
    January 13, 2018 at 10:57 am

looks like the perfect comfort food to go with a Sunday meal thanks for sharing

January 13, 2018 at 3:03 pm

I agree, Sue! Thanks for stopping in.

Cook & Enjoy
    January 13, 2018 at 2:04 pm

Seen your awesome post over at Bloggers Pit Stop – This is absolutely awesome, Just ♥ potatoes. I will for sure try out your recipe. Will pin and tweet it as well. Thanks for sharing.

January 13, 2018 at 3:26 pm

I’m so happy you like it! These are quite tasty. 😀 Thanks for stopping in!

Natalie A
    January 13, 2018 at 3:51 pm

Yum, these scalloped potatoes look delicious! I love scalloped potatoes! This recipe looks like a winner! I’m so sorry to hear about your dentist and friend!

January 13, 2018 at 5:58 pm

That is so sweet of you, Natalie! Thank you.

Kathy A
    January 13, 2018 at 10:04 pm

Scalloped potatoes is definitely great comfort food. When I make a batch to take to a church pot luck supper, I add fresh or canned sliced mushrooms and/or bits of cubed ham (leftover pork is good, too). It makes it a bit fancier and usually goes over well; so many people can’t be bothered to go to all that work! I have also cooked my pork chops in the bottom of the casserole dish under the potatoes and that’s good, too! If I can put everything in the oven at 350, I can go away and do something else with my hour!

January 14, 2018 at 4:08 pm

Wow, that’s a whole meal then, not just a side dish and perfect for potlucks. I have also cooked my pork chops with potatoes and some onions. So yummy! I could eat potatoes every day, in every shape or form, lol.
      True, our time is too precious and it’s easier to eat out or fix something quick. However, I don’t mind being bothered with work that is going to yield a delicious meal my family will enjoy (especially on the weekends). Homemade food creates such wonderful memories and to me that is priceless. 🙂

Sylvia D.
    January 13, 2018 at 10:20 pm

Jas, I have downloaded the recipe and will try it out. Sylvia D.

January 14, 2018 at 4:09 pm

Hi, Sylvia! That makes me happy. Let me know if they turned out yummy. 🙂

Shinta Simon
    January 14, 2018 at 1:51 pm

Beautiful recipe, I’m always looking for a hearty potato dish and I’m going to bookmark this for some time soon! Thanks for sharing at FF.

January 14, 2018 at 4:12 pm

Thank you, Shinta! Hope you like it.

January 14, 2018 at 2:27 pm

We love Scalloped Potatoes and your recipe looks delicious! Thanks so much for sharing your post with us at Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you have a great day and come back soon!

January 14, 2018 at 4:12 pm

Thanks, Miz Helen!

Kelly @ Kelly Lynns Sweets and Treats
    January 15, 2018 at 10:46 am

Definitely need to make this! Looks yummy. Thanks for linking up at Friday Frenzy Link Party. PINNED!

January 15, 2018 at 12:04 pm

It’s super yummy! I know you’ll like it 🙂

Jodie Fitz
    January 16, 2018 at 8:15 am

THESE LOOK GREAT & GORGEOUS PHOTOS. Thank you for joining us at last week’s Reader Tip Tuesday – we hope to see you at this week’s party. xo

January 16, 2018 at 8:35 pm

Means a lot coming from you, Jodie! Thanks! 😀

Theresa Huse
    January 16, 2018 at 1:03 pm

I don’t know why I haven’t tried making this at home. But, seeing your recipe I have to. Thanks for sharing at the Inspiration Spotlight party. pinned 8 sharing.

January 16, 2018 at 8:37 pm

Thank you, Theresa! They’re super yummy and easy to make. 🙂

Lynda Hardy
    January 16, 2018 at 3:07 pm

Good scalloped potatoes are the perfect side! This recipe looks wonderful – thanks for sharing with Party in Your PJs!

January 16, 2018 at 8:39 pm

Yes, they are, Lynda! Thank you.

Carrie @ Carrie's Home Cooking
    January 16, 2018 at 6:13 pm

Thank you so much for sharing on the Whisk It Wednesday Link Party. Tomorrow when the new party starts you will be featured! Hope to see you there! Carrie @ Carrie’s Home Cooking

January 16, 2018 at 8:42 pm

That’s wonderful, Carrie! I’m honored 😀

Mary
    January 17, 2018 at 11:53 am

Jas I’m pinning this one to my secret board so I can make it. The only problem is I will have to fight my daughter to get her heavy cream from her since she is always using it for her desserts!

January 17, 2018 at 12:09 pm

It seems you need a secret pantry, Mary

Mary
        January 19, 2018 at 12:09 pm

So I made it and it came out amazing. The only problem which you had warned us about (smacks head) is that I filled it up to the top of the dish and all the cream started to bubble over. The oven was a mess but it was still a big hit with the family!

January 19, 2018 at 9:01 pm

Live and learn, Mary, lol. I’m glad you liked it. Thanks for giving it a try 😀

Your visits and your comments are greatly appreciated. I LOVE reading them, they motivate me to keep going and keep improving. If you have a question, please feel free to leave it here, email me, or message me on Facebook. Thank you so much for stopping by at All that's Jas, so let's talk :)