What is Really Healthy Eating?

what is really healthy eating - All that's Jas

As I’m still trying to get rid of the pounds I packed on during the holidays, I’ve been toying with adding a “healthy eating” tab on the blog, but then it hit me…what exactly IS healthy eating? Major corporations have caught on to the trend of healthier eating and are now inundating their labels with “GMO free,” “all natural,” “gluten free” etc… My daughter even saw a sign on a package of shredded lettuce that said “gluten free.” COME. ON!

Then you have the fad diets. And each one is THE one to not only make you lose all the weight, but also to convince you that all the other diets are bogus and are trying to kill you.

Atkins, South Beach, Ketogenic, Mediterranean, Paleo, Primal, Whole30, 21 day fix, DASH diet, CUPS diet, GAPS diet, chocolate diet (wait..what? I wanna do that one!), Jenny Craig, Oprah, Dr. Oz, etc. Phew! One website claims to have the full list of all the diets … over SIX HUNDRED! No wonder we’re all confused. How are we to keep up?

And let’s be honest, the only diet I’ve ever tried is the “see food” diet… I see food…I eat it!

Diets are not only confusing, but some are impossible to keep up with. And others take a PhD to learn how to do them because of all the different types of rules.

What is really healthy eating?

A #runt: what is really #healthy #eating? How do you keep up? Click To Tweet

what is really healthy eating - All that's Jas

So back to the question: What is healthy eating? To me, healthy food is real food. Healthy food doesn’t have to be bland, or carb-free, or any of the other myriad, hard to follow rules. Have you seen the hashtag #jerf? “Just Eat Real Food.” I think that is the only rule to follow. Real food means no processed, packaged stuff. I once used to make pot roast with canned condensed soup. Cringe! Healthy food simply means using real ingredients …that come from nature! Moderation is the key!

And though, my blog will now feature a healthy eating tab, I will still post yummy sugar-laden desserts and the like. Now, if you have a condition that renders you unable to eat gluten or dairy or egg, or have any kinds of allergies, substitute away.

I would, however, like your suggestions on labeling. Do you WANT to see that a recipe is gluten free? Paleo or whole30 compliant? Or stick it all together under the healthy eating tab? Let me know in the comments.

P.S. I will be delving more into gluten, GMO, and food labels in a new 4 week series in the newsletter. So go on, hit that subscribe button. What are you waiting for?

Post featured on The Boondocks Blog.

1. […] have a confession to make: while I was preaching to you how all food is a healthy food if we take it in moderation, I was actually practicing the opposite. My food intake has been […]

John Hodge
    July 25, 2017 at 5:33 am

Useful sharing for eating habits! Most of us think that healthy meals shouldn’t include any bad food or items like carbons, sugar or something else. Our bodies need them to keep balanced actually.

July 26, 2017 at 9:48 pm

Totally agree, John!

3. […] it comes to staying fit and losing weight, it is not always about exercising and eating right. There will be occasions wherein you just have to take an unconventional route to help you stay on […]

4. […] Maybe it’s not the healthiest dessert, but what dessert truly is? You can’t trust any “health” food these days, so let’s not even go […]

Travis
    April 12, 2017 at 3:35 am

Great post! I’m glad more and more people are putting it out there – eating healthy is not about cutting out certain nutrient types from your diet! I don’t understand how some people can just go ahead and label say, carbs, as bad. Our bodies need carbs for energy!! Healthy eating is all about balance and moderation!

April 12, 2017 at 10:07 am

Hi, Travis! Moderation is the key! Being healthy is important, but you can’t be healthy eating cardboard, lol. Thanks for stopping in!

March 25, 2017 at 6:24 pm

Great post!! Even gluten free has become a fad – I had to do it for a bit. Why anyone would do it just because is beyond me!! Looking forward to future posts! Thanks for sharing on the What’s for Dinner link up.

March 26, 2017 at 12:01 pm

Right? 🙂 Thanks for stopping in!

7. […] me if I’m terribly confused by all the new diets and fads out there. It’s no wonder that when All that’s Jas asked the question that’s been bugging me for a bit I had to go have a look […]

Jen Gregor
    March 23, 2017 at 7:53 pm

I have totally always been on a see food diet too! For the first time ever I have felt that after baby #4 it is harder to loose the weight. I have been trying to focus more on real food too, and not so much processed. I know it is so much better for me and my family. Hard though when I love food! Thanks for sharing at the Friday at the Fire Station link-up!
    Jen Gregor recently posted…What I Wore ~ Ruffles and LaceMy Profile

March 23, 2017 at 10:46 pm

I have no excuse, Jen 🙁 I only have one baby and that was 31 years ago, lol. Processed food is the worst! But it tastes so good 🙂

rue
    March 20, 2017 at 6:43 pm

To be honest, I’d be thrilled to see recipes that are made of real food, that don’t have “gluten free”, “sugar free”, “fat free”, etc labeled on them. Also, the iceburg lettuce being gluten free cracked me up, because I think the same thing 😉

I’m new here, but I like you already.

rue

March 20, 2017 at 10:28 pm

Welcome, Rue! I’m ecstatic that you like me 😀 Yes, we now have gluten-free lettuce, LOL. They probably increased the price too, since is gluten-free and we know healthy eating isn’t cheap. I say, everything in moderation and listen to your body. Hope you’ll come back and stay awhile! Have a fabulous week!

Melissa Ruddy
    March 20, 2017 at 6:37 pm

Good for you for addressing this question. It is something I personally have struggled with. I have pretty much tried every diet or “healthy” way of eating most of it I couldn’t stick with. For me the answer has been finding what works best for you in your season of life. At the start of my 40’s my body is changing and what worked for me in my 30’s doesn’t work now. Best of luck. I will keep posted on your progress.

March 20, 2017 at 10:23 pm

So true! Up until my mid 30’s I was on a different kind of diet – one that would make you gain weight as I was so skinny. My metabolism really slowed down when I turned 50 and now I’m fighting to keep the pounds off. Can’t win, lol.

March 20, 2017 at 4:04 pm

LOL…Cannibal!!! Mr Lecter will love you. 😉
    Ann recently posted…Sunday Humour: Neulogism ContestMy Profile

March 20, 2017 at 10:19 pm

He, he. They say you are what you eat, so….

Mary-the boondocks blog
    March 17, 2017 at 6:51 pm

I learned that lesson when I first moved to Greece and there was no Campbell’s soup in the supermarket. 😉
    Mary-the boondocks blog recently posted…Sweet Inspiration Link Party #48My Profile

March 17, 2017 at 9:39 pm

What a bliss! I miss fresh food from my country and the time when you could only buy produce in season, and organic.

Mrs Shoes
    March 17, 2017 at 11:40 am

All of that is just advertising hype, nothing more (except in the case of allergies) & I refuse to buy into that baloney. I cook with real ingredients, many of which we raised & butchered ourselves. If you stay away from processed foods for the most part, your body can handle it when you do have a occasional frozen pizza night. JMHO

March 17, 2017 at 9:29 pm

Consider yourself lucky to raise your own food. As much as I love meat (and only buy organic or at least free of antibiotics and hormones) I couldn’t butcher an animal after I raised it. It would feel as if I were killing a pet, lol. I know, I’m weird that way.

Gentle Joy Homemaker
    March 17, 2017 at 8:39 am

Healthy, REAL, foods are the best…. and making a change on a more permanent level, works best for us, BUT moderation IS the key. We couldn’t keep up when we felt so deprived, so we do enjoy the occasional treats too. 🙂
    Gentle Joy Homemaker recently posted…From Hose Holder To Fun Frame!My Profile

March 17, 2017 at 9:15 am

Absolutely! Life is too short not to enjoy it 🙂

March 16, 2017 at 8:48 am

You have got to be kidding Jas, I can’t believe company would be so silly to sell gluten free lettuce, that’s so funny. What on earth were they thinking?

I’m with you on all the diet fads though. I truly believe our bodies know what we need and when we need it but so many of us have just forgotten to really listen to what our bodies are trying to tell us. Although I must say I’ve never been allergic to anything and fortunately neither of my kids are either, so the world of food is our oyster, but I am not eating gluten free anything, it all tastes like cardboard.

March 17, 2017 at 9:07 am

It’s true, I swear! Luckily, I don’t have any health restrictions but I do need to shed some pounds, so minimizing gluten and carbs is a plan. Note I said minimizing, not replacing with gluten-free products ’cause you’re right – they do taste like cardboard.

March 15, 2017 at 8:49 am

Congrats on your new venture, Jas! 😀

I’m with you on see-food-diet…so I don’t have anything constructive to contribute to gluten free, fat free, paleo etc. I do think there is a market for it given the explosion of allergies in kids these days. Which makes me wonder if that all stems from the processed food that’s in the market. I’m also not particularly adverse to GMO either (and in moderation) that fuels food shortage in the future.

On using natural food, I’m with you on that too. 100%. I’m the cook-from-scratch kind of person, thanks to my mom’s value but where there is time constraint, I also look for short-cuts. We try to stave off processed food, but sometimes we indulge. I think that’s the fun bit about food and eating. All in moderation. 🙂
    Ann recently posted…Spring is here!My Profile

March 15, 2017 at 10:01 pm

It’s really nothing new, just a tab to separate my semi-healthy food. If there’s enough interest, I’ll posting more. Luckily I don’t have any health restrictions but we all should be aware of what we are eating. For example, I need to eat a skinny person, lol.