Eat Like The French – Asperges et Oeuf Poché

Eat like the French - Asparagus and Egg

Do you ever wonder what people around the world eat? Eat like the French with this simple hors d’oeuvre recipe for asparagus and egg. Vegetarian and gluten-free, this light first course is a perfect starter for your guests. With only a handful of ingredients and 20 minutes to make it’s a no-brainer that this dish is here to stay.

roasted asparagus with soft boiled egg, French cuisine, low carb, gluten free, vegetarian

French cuisine is not always this simple, as you can see from the hilarious video below. Although I have tried frog legs, mussels, and escargot (a cooked land snail), but not during my trip to France, I’m a simple soul with simple taste. Fancy, expensive dishes aren’t my forte.

Caviar?

Thanks, but no thanks.

I’ve never understood why something so fishy with a gross texture is such a prestigious “delicacy”. But, what do I know? I only know that I can still enjoy the world’s flavors in simpler ways. French cuisine is no exception.

The French love their eggs poached, but I’m all for simplifying even a simple recipe.

Also, I find poaching eggs a bit tricky and I’d rather just use soft-boiled eggs. To tell the truth, they taste the same. It takes about 4-5 minutes to soft-boil them (whites should be set and yolks thickened but not hard).

You can steam the asparagus for this recipe, but I prefer them roasted. There, I gave you an option to simplify it even more.

Speaking of options here’s how you poach eggs:

• Make sure your eggs are really fresh
  • Add a small dash of vinegar to a pan of steadily simmering water
  • Crack eggs individually into a ramekin or cup
  • Create a gentle whirlpool in the water to help the egg white wrap around the yolk
  • Slowly tip the egg into the water, white first. Cook for three minutes
  • Remove with a slotted spoon, cutting off any wispy edges using the edge of the spoon
  • Drain onto kitchen paper – nobody wants eggy poaching water in their plate

French asparagus and egg is a tasty dish, simple to make even for a beginner cook.

Eat Like the French – Asparagus and Egg

Asparagus and egg - eat like the French. Gluten-free, vegetarian, super easy and quick to make. Click To Tweet

vegetarian French first course meal made with asparagus and egg

Serves 2

• 1 bunch asparagus (about 1 pound), trimmed
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese (shaved or grated)
  • 2 eggs

~ Free Tip ~

• Top asparagus with prosciutto or diced ham.

• Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Place trimmed asparagus in a large sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Next, roll the asparagus around to coat each spear in oil, then spread the asparagus in a single layer.
  • Roast until tender and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes (10 to 12 minute if your asparagus is thick). Remove from the oven and drizzle with lemon juice and Parmesan.
  • Meanwhile, boil the eggs, about 5 minutes for a large-size egg and 4 minutes for a medium-sized egg. Run the eggs under cool water to stop them from overcooking, then peel them and slice horizontally.
  • Serve the eggs with the asparagus and, just like the French, with a glass of red wine.

bunch of frech asparagus

Delicious French breakfast recipe with asparagus and hard-boiled eggs

Eat Like The French – Asperges et Oeuf Poché
Prep Time
15 mins
Cook Time
15 mins
Total Time
30 mins

Delicious, French meal prepared in 20 minutes with only a handful of ingredients. Vegetarian and gluten-free, this light first course is a perfect starter for your guests.

Course: Breakfast
Cuisine: French
Servings: 2
Author: Jas
  • 1 bunch asparagus about 1 pound, trimmed
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese shaved or grated
  • 2 eggs
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Place trimmed asparagus in a large sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Roll the asparagus around to coat each spear in oil, then spread the asparagus in a single layer. Roast until tender and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes (10 to 12 minute if your asparagus is thick). Remove from the oven and drizzle with lemon juice and Parmesan.
  3. Meanwhile, boil the eggs, about 5 minutes for a large-size egg and 4 minutes for a medium-sized egg. Run the eggs under cool water to stop them from overcooking. Peel them and slice horizontally.
  4. Serve the eggs with the asparagus.
Recipe Notes

~ Free Tip ~

Top asparagus with prosciutto or diced ham.

Pin it: Asparagus and Egg

Delicious light meal done in 20 minutes with only handful of ingredients. This French first course is gluten-free and vegetarian friendly.

See this recipe featured on My Soulful Home and Life Sew Savory.

Jas is a cheesecake addict and the author of Balkan Comfort Food cookbook available on Amazon. You can download a free excerpt of the book when you subscribe to All that's Jas newsletter updates or purchase the full version below. To learn more about Jas visit her About page.

Alison's Allspice
    April 27, 2017 at 1:36 pm

This looks simply delicious and stunning! Quality ingredients is all you need to make a great meal, pinning for later, Thanks!

April 27, 2017 at 10:15 pm

Thank you, Alison! Great minds think alike, lol. Loving your salad with asparagus 😉

Mrs Shoes
    April 27, 2017 at 2:28 pm

Add an English muffin & some hollandaise & you can expect me for brunch. Nevermind the champagne, but buy the REALLY big bottle of Baileys & keep the coffee coming. Light eating? Pshaw!!

April 27, 2017 at 10:20 pm

In that case, I’ll throw in a few pork chops, potatoes, and a 6-pack. Stay for lunch, LOL.

Debbie
    April 28, 2017 at 2:53 am

Jas – Ok, I love both eggs and asparagus, but never in a million years would I think to pair them together? Maybe I need to go to France to learn of more things I am missing out on? Thanks for joining the community at #TuneInThursday this week.

April 28, 2017 at 6:52 pm

Haha, Debbie! I’m with you – there are so many dishes that I never thought of pairing and they create wonderful simple meals! 🙂

April 28, 2017 at 8:09 am

Those kids need a sense of adventure 😉 Hot chocolate on cereal? I think that would have been my dream as a kid 😉 I’d try it all including your apsaragus and egg! YUMMM!

April 28, 2017 at 6:54 pm

I know, right? I don’t eat cereal because I don’t like milk, but hot chocolate is another story! Why didn’t I think of that and what’s wrong with those kids? LOL

Stephanie
    April 28, 2017 at 8:39 am

That video is too funny! And I love how simple yet elegant this meal is. Pinned!

April 28, 2017 at 6:55 pm

Isn’t it though? Kids… Thanks for stopping in, Stephanie, and have an amazing weekend!

April 28, 2017 at 11:32 am

Oh my word Jas, that video was so funny. Maybe it’s an acquired taste and little people’s taste buds aren’t there yet? I found with our kids that if you don’t make a big fuss about they’re eating they love it and they’ll eat almost anything, except runners and asparagus. They don’t eat runners anymore and I’m okay with them not eating asparagus, coz then there’s more for me 😉

April 28, 2017 at 7:01 pm

You’re probably right, Michelle. I hated food when I was their age and look at me know…the irony 🙂
      But I must ask, what are runners? Eggs? That’s a funny name for it. I don’t like them runny either, lol. Are your kids vegan?

May 1, 2017 at 10:41 am

So simple!! Always the best – Thanks for sharing on the What’s for Dinner link up!!

May 1, 2017 at 6:38 pm

Agreed, Miz Helen!

Grammy Dee
    May 1, 2017 at 10:09 pm

Thank you Jas for linking up at the #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty. I shared this post on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Twitter.

Teresa
    May 1, 2017 at 10:33 pm

I love this recipe and the teaching you provided as well for those of us that aren’t quite so gifted in our cooking skills! Thank you for sharing at the Blogging Grandmother’s Link Party! Pinned and tweeted.

May 2, 2017 at 7:07 am

Thank you, Teresa! There’s always something to be learned no matter the level of your skill 🙂

Leslie
    May 2, 2017 at 8:18 am

My weekly menu calls for asparagus this week and I’m wanting to try this recipe! Thank you for sharing!

May 2, 2017 at 8:31 pm

That makes me happy, Leslie! 😀

Carole @ From My Carolina Home
    May 2, 2017 at 8:41 am

Yum, that is the precise way I like my eggs too!

May 2, 2017 at 8:32 pm

That’s great, Carole! Thanks for stopping by!

image-in-ing: weekly photo linky
    May 2, 2017 at 12:39 pm

I love asparagus. Never would have thought of pairing them with eggs.
    Thanks for linking up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2017/05/down-to-jordan-river.html

May 2, 2017 at 8:33 pm

Quite simple, yet very tasty!

Clearissa
    May 2, 2017 at 4:08 pm

I would have never ever thought of this combination,
    But I have the ingredients in the house so maybe I’ll try it. Thank you for sharing with #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty. I’ve shared your post on social media.

May 2, 2017 at 8:35 pm

I hope you do! The French know good food!

Ruth | Tanama Tales
    May 2, 2017 at 8:38 pm

I have never thought about this combination but it sounds (and looks) delish. My husband would enjoy the poached eggs.

May 3, 2017 at 7:59 am

Thank you, Ruth! It’s quite tasty. I even had it for breakfast.

Donna
    May 2, 2017 at 10:48 pm

This dish looks absolutely delicious! I can’t wait to try it!
    #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty

May 3, 2017 at 7:57 am

Many thanks!

Carol ("Mimi")
    May 3, 2017 at 9:50 am

Asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables. This recipe looks delicious! Thank you for sharing at #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty. I’m sharing your post on social media.

May 3, 2017 at 8:53 pm

Thank you and thanks for stopping in 🙂

Beverly
    May 3, 2017 at 9:44 pm

I love green beans but not a big fan of eggs, but I would make the beans.
    Thanks for sharing at Over The Moon Party. Hope you come back next week so I can stop by again. I hope you will stop by Thursday Favorite Things tomorrow.
    Hugs,
    Bev

May 4, 2017 at 3:31 pm

Thank you, Bev. I haven’t tried this recipe with green beans, but I suppose it would work as well 🙂

Sandra
    May 4, 2017 at 2:14 pm

This should be my dinner after I have one of those decadent Mexican Strawberry Cheesecake Chimichangas!

May 4, 2017 at 3:55 pm

Haha, that’ll work. At least you can have guilt-free dessert 🙂

Mary - the boondocks blog
    May 4, 2017 at 5:05 pm

Oh my goodness Jas, those kids were adorable. The poor things, what they went through. It really is a cultural thing isn’t it. Even we eat many strange things that Americans would never eat.

I love poached eggs and make them with olive oil of course.

May 4, 2017 at 10:33 pm

I know, right? We eat strange things in my country too, ha!

Mmmm, poached eggs with olive oil!

Theresa @DearCreatives
    May 4, 2017 at 7:26 pm

We love asparagus. This looks yummy.

May 4, 2017 at 10:32 pm

Thank you, Theresa! We have asparagus at least once a week, and it’s nice finding new ways to prepare them.

21. I just love asparagus and this recipe is so simple and doesn’t overpower the flavours. I’m definitely trying this one. Thanks for sharing with us at #BloggingGrandmothersLinkparty. I’ve pinned and shared.

May 5, 2017 at 4:00 pm

It’s a surprisingly wonderful combination 🙂

22. […] are few things tastier than fresh Spring vegetables and the simple deliciousness of this French Asparagus and Egg recipe is a perfect example of light done right, in my […]

May 9, 2017 at 11:49 am

I love this combination such a fresh and delicious breakfast. Hope you are having a great day and thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday!
    Come Back Soon,

May 10, 2017 at 5:01 pm

Same to you, Miz Helen!

Your visits and your comments are greatly appreciated. I LOVE reading them, they motivate me to keep going and keep improving. If you have a question, please feel free to leave it here, email me, or message me on Facebook. Thank you so much for stopping by at All that's Jas, so let's talk :)