Homemade Chipotle Burrito Bowl

Chipotle Burrito Bowl | All that's Jas

Love Chipotle but don’t want to spend the money on their menu? This easy-to-follow Chipotle burrito bowl recipe is just as tasty and will feed a crowd.

Easy Chipotle burrito bowl recipe with ground beef, chipotle sauce and fresh vegetable toppings

Even though I love Chipotle I don’t always want to spend the money on their menu. But with this copycat Chipotle burrito bowl recipe, I get the same taste for less money.

Coming up with a meal that everyone likes for our bi-weekly family Sunday dinners is not an easy task. We have picky eaters, dieters, and food allergies we have to take into consideration. I’m a people pleaser and whenever I feed someone I want them to be happy with my meal.  It’s equally as important for my toddler grandkid as for my elderly parent to be pleased.

Besides, my family deserves to be spoiled!

And spoiled they feel when I make this copycat Chipotle burrito bowl recipe. Even the littlest ones keep coming for more.  In other words, it’s a real crowd pleaser.

Now, don’t let the list of ingredients scare you because this recipe is super easy to make. You can even buy pre-cut vegetables if you don’t have time to chop them yourself.

The chipotle burrito sauce  I shared a few weeks ago takes this bowl to a whole new level and the best part is that you can adjust the heat to your liking! You’ll fall in love with this easy recipe even if you don’t like cooking and your family will love you for it!

I adopted this recipe from Damn Delicious that absolutely made me drool over it.

How To Make Chipotle Burrito Bowl

Copycat #Chipotle #burrito bowl recipe. A crowd favorite, delicious meal is so easy to make at home! Click To Tweet

Delicious burrito bowls Chipotle style

Serves 4-6

For the meat

• 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
  • 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 2 teaspoons ground coriander (optional)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce

For the rice

• 1 cup uncooked rice
  • 1 cup salsa

For the toppings

• 3 cups chopped iceberg or Romaine lettuce
  • 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup whole kernel corn, drained
  • 2 cups diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup orange bell pepper, diced (optional)
  • 1-2 avocado, sliced or diced
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
  • 1 lime
  • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • Chipotle burrito sauce (recipe)

~ Free Tip ~

Substitute all spices for the meat with a package of taco seasoning. Use grilled chicken instead of ground beef. Omit meat for a vegetarian version but increase the amount of toppings. Top with guacamole instead of chopped avocado. Use sour cream instead of Chipotle burrito sauce (but the sauce is seriously yummy!)

For the meat

1. In a large non-stick or cast-iron skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until translucent, then add the ground beef. Cook, stirring often and breaking the meat into small pieces until the meat is cooked through, 5-8 minutes.
  2. Take the skillet off the heat and drain any excess grease, it needed.
  3. Return the skillet to the heat and stir in garlic, cumin, chili, oregano, coriander, salt, and pepper.
  4.  Add the tomato sauce and simmer the mixture for additional 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

For the rice

1. Cook rice according to the package directions. Let cool.
  2. Next, stir in salsa.

Assemble

1. Divide rice mixture into serving bowls.
  2. Arrange toppings over the rice.
  3. Drizzle with lime juice and chipotle sauce.
  4. Serve immediately.

Chipotle burrito bowl drizzled with chipotle sauce

How to make Mexican chipotle burrito bowl

5 from 5 votes
Homemade Chipotle Burrito Bowl
Prep Time
20 mins
Cook Time
20 mins
Total Time
40 mins

This easy and delicious copycat Mexican Chipotle burrito bowl recipe is a real crowd-pleaser.
Course: Main Course
  • 1 cup salsa
For the toppings
  • 3 cups chopped iceberg or Romaine lettuce
  • 1 cup black beans drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup whole kernel corn drained
  • 2 cups diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup orange bell pepper diced (optional)
  • 1-2 avocado sliced or diced
  • 2 tablespoons  chopped fresh cilantro leaves
  • 1 lime
  • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • Chipotle burrito sauce
Instructions
For the meat
  2. Take the skillet off the heat and drain any excess grease, it needed.
  4. Add the tomato sauce and simmer the mixture for additional 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
For the rice
  1. Cook rice according to the package directions. Let cool.
  2. Next, stir in salsa.
Assemble
  1. Divide rice mixture into serving bowls.
  2. Arrange toppings over the rice.
  3. Drizzle with lime juice and chipotle sauce.
  4. Serve immediately.
Recipe Notes

~ Free Tip ~

Pin It: How to Make Chipotle Burrito Bowl

Featured on: Imparting Grace, Simply Sweet Home, and A Day of Small Things.

Jas is a cheesecake addict and the author of Balkan Comfort Food cookbook available on Amazon. You can download a free excerpt of the book when you subscribe to All that's Jas newsletter updates or purchase the full version below. To learn more about Jas visit her About page.

1. […] over burritos and tacos or serve with tortilla chips, on a sandwich, and even over a salad.  Now you can enjoy […]

June 19, 2017 at 11:00 am

Why of why do I always do this to myself. I love popping into your blog to get foodie inspiration and I always end up wishing I could make something this delicious Jas. I am going to get over my fear of blowing up the kitchen and I will try making this. I’m not sure if I can find burrito sauce here in South Africa, can I use something else instead?

June 19, 2017 at 4:25 pm

Burrito sauce is made with sour cream or mayo, garlic, lime juice and any smoky hot sauce you can get there 🙂 You only brown meat for this recipe, so you should be perfectly capable of doing that, no? 😀

Amy
    June 19, 2017 at 4:05 pm

I’ll definitely be trying this out soon! I just have to figure out how to make their sofritas, since I’m a veggie. Thanks for the recipe!

June 19, 2017 at 4:28 pm

I made this once with chickpeas when my daughter was on a no-meat diet and it was great 🙂

June 20, 2017 at 12:33 pm

I love a good burrito bowl and of course yours is gorgeous! What a perfect family dinner!

June 21, 2017 at 10:18 am

Thanks, Carlee! My family loves it 🙂

Mrs Shoes
    June 20, 2017 at 12:42 pm

Mmmm, this sounds like a nice change of pace. I’d better check on my medicine cabinet supply of Beano (or else Mr Shoes has to sleep out in the barn).

June 21, 2017 at 10:18 am

Haha, poor guy 😀

image-in-ing: weekly photo linky
    June 20, 2017 at 3:15 pm

That looks super tasty!
    Thanks for llinking up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2017/06/tidying-up-nest.html

June 21, 2017 at 10:18 am

Thank you much!

Ruth | Tanama Tales
    June 20, 2017 at 10:55 pm

This looks so delicious! I can see why your family loves the dish so much. Maybe I should start bringing this dish to potlucks. I may become a star!

June 21, 2017 at 10:19 am

You just may! 🙂 Thanks for stopping in, Ruth!

Katherines Corner
    June 21, 2017 at 9:52 am

oh this looks so delish my darling friend. your photos are always so beautiful,pinned xo

June 21, 2017 at 6:45 pm

Thank you so much, dear Katie! Hope all is well in your corner, my sweet friend! 😀

Linda
    June 21, 2017 at 12:50 pm

This looks good. I’ve never been to Chipotle’s. I may have to go or make this at home! Thanks for sharing at What’d You Do This Weekend? Hope to see you again next week!

Wishes for tasty dishes,
    Linda

June 21, 2017 at 6:46 pm

Hi, Linda! Do both and see what you think 😉

Rupreet
    June 22, 2017 at 4:27 am

Sounds delicious – I love burrito bowls – will have to try it with the mince instead of chicken 🙂 #fullplatethursdays

June 22, 2017 at 11:41 am

If you switch it up, you won’t feel like you’re eating the same dish over again 🙂

Carrieh
    June 23, 2017 at 9:21 am

Yum!! I have been trying to do copycat recipes to save money… Thanks for sharing this one.

June 24, 2017 at 1:20 am

Thank you, Carrieh! I’m so glad my recipe could help 😀

June 23, 2017 at 12:59 pm

This is a perfect Burrito Bowl for hot summer days! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday. Have a great week and come back soon!

June 24, 2017 at 1:22 am

I agree, Miz Helen! Thank you.

Amy
    June 24, 2017 at 2:19 am

We love burrito bowls and this looks like a great one. Your pictures are marvelous. Since this is the second recipe in a row that I picked that ending up being yours, I believe that it may be time to follow you! Thank you for sharing on Sugar and Spice link party. Pinning and Sharing. I look forward to seeing more of your recipes.

June 24, 2017 at 9:22 am

Ha, ha I don’t mind that at all, Amy! Thank you so much and have a great weekend!

June 27, 2017 at 10:51 am

Looks delicious and healthy – Thanks for sharing on the What’s for Dinner link up~

June 27, 2017 at 11:38 pm

Thanks!

Karly
    June 27, 2017 at 11:00 pm

This looks even BETTER than the real thing– I’m in love! This is gonna be a hit in my house, for sure.

June 27, 2017 at 11:49 pm

Aw, thank you! It’s a hit with my family. The sauce is the bomb! 🙂

Beverly
    June 28, 2017 at 5:43 pm

Wow, this bowl looks great. I can’t wait to make this. Thanks for sharing your wonderful posts at Over The Moon Party.
    See you next week.
    Hugs,
    Bev

June 28, 2017 at 8:54 pm

Thank you, Bev! XO

Dagmar Bleasdale
    April 25, 2018 at 10:53 am

Dear Jas, thank you for sharing this delicious looking burrito recipe at my latest link party. I hope to welcome you back soon. Warm regards,
    Dagmar Bleasdale

April 26, 2018 at 9:56 pm

Thank you so much for a lovely note, Dagmar. I’ll definitely come back as I love your party. Hugs

Leslie
    April 26, 2018 at 2:42 pm

Whenever we go out for lunch, the first place my husband mentions is Chipotle. I don’t think he can get tired of it! I can’t wait to give this a try and see what his take on it is (looks fabulous to me!) Thanks so much for sharing at the #happynowlinkup!

April 26, 2018 at 10:01 pm

I don’t blame him. We just had it last night again, but this time a takeout. I didn’t have time to cook, lol.

Michelle Frank | Flipped-Out Food
    April 27, 2018 at 10:56 am

I’m glad to know that I’m not the only one who craves Chipotle’s burrito bowls! The hubster and I don’t eat out much anymore, both because we’re trying to live healthier lives AND we’re on a frugal-living kick lately. I did a version of their bowls a while back with sweet potato noodles instead of rice. Your gorgeous bowl really puts Chipotle to shame. I’m making one this weekend! #brillblogposts

April 27, 2018 at 8:20 pm

Hi, Michelle! Same here. I’ve made these with cauliflower rice for a gluten-free version and it was just as tasty. Thank you for the 5-star review! Hugs

April 27, 2018 at 12:47 pm

What a great presentation for your delicious Chipotle Burrito Bowl! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday for the party this week. Hope you have a great week and come back to see us real soon!

April 27, 2018 at 8:24 pm

Miz Helen, that’s very kind of you.

Jenny
    April 27, 2018 at 3:52 pm

I love all the bright colors in this burrito bowl! It looks very healthy as well as very delicious. I also like that you can customize it, depending on what meat you use, or you can omit the meat. That burrito sauce looks seriously delicious too!

April 27, 2018 at 8:38 pm

Yes, you can change or omit the meat, substitute rice with cauliflower rice and add more veggies! Win-win. The sauce is off the charts! Thanks for stopping in, Jenny!

Milena
    April 27, 2018 at 8:36 pm

Every time I see a really beautiful picture at a party it is yours:) This bowl is simply scrumptious. All the vibrant colors and the flavors you have going on!

April 27, 2018 at 9:36 pm

Awe, you’re a sweetheart, Milena! Thank you so much! I’m always in awe of yours :D. Thanks for stopping in and for the 5-star review! Hugs

Cathy Lawdanski
    April 27, 2018 at 8:50 pm

This sounds so delicious and your photographs are beautiful!

April 30, 2018 at 11:22 am

Thanks so much, Cathy! I truly appreciate it 🙂

Julie | Filling the Jars
    April 28, 2018 at 8:05 am

This looks delicious! I just happen to have some ground beef in my fridge, and now I know exactly what to do with it!

April 30, 2018 at 11:24 am

You’ll love it, Julie! Nothing like a homemade restaurant-style meal that you know exactly what you put in, easy, and inexpensive :)Thanks for stopping in!

25. So much yumminess in one lil’ ol’ bowl!!! Thanks for sharing on Friday Frenzy!

April 30, 2018 at 11:56 am

Haha, isn’t that the best part? 😉

Sue Ready
    April 30, 2018 at 10:22 am

love the Mexican flavor combo and its a healthy meal in a bowl- thanks for the recipe

April 30, 2018 at 12:03 pm

It is, Sue! Thank you for stopping in 😀

Dean
    April 30, 2018 at 10:23 am

You’re doing it again!! I so badly want a big bowl of Mexican food right now.
    Thanks again for sharing with us at #MMBH!
    XO

April 30, 2018 at 12:03 pm

I am, I’m unstoppable, bwahahaha!

Richella Parham
    May 3, 2018 at 9:27 am

Oh, Jas. Yum, yum, yum. These look absolutely delicious! Thank you for devising this recipe and sharing it!

Thanks so much for joining the Grace at Home party. I’m featuring you this week!

May 3, 2018 at 9:33 pm

Hi, Richella! Thank you kindly for the feature. You brightened my day 😀 XO

29. […] How to Make Chipotle Burrito Bowl from all that’s Jas […]

Amy
    May 4, 2018 at 2:34 pm

Congrats on the feature on Friday Favorites link party. I commented on this recipe about a year ago. As a matter of fact this is the recipe that started me following you. It still looks just as good now as it did then. Keep up the good work!

May 4, 2018 at 10:12 pm

Ha, how about that? Love it. Thanks, Amy! Much appreciated. 😀

Erlene
    May 5, 2018 at 12:43 am

I remember the first time I ate at Chipotle. I loved it! I’ll have to try this since I don’t get to eat there often. Thanks for sharing your copycat recipe on Merry Monday.

May 6, 2018 at 5:09 pm

It’s just so so good! Thank you Erlene for stopping by. 🙂

April J Harris
    May 7, 2018 at 11:20 am

Pinning and sharing this wonderful recipe, Jas! Your Chipotle Burrito Bowl looks amazing, and I much prefer the idea of making it from scratch at home. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, and for being a part of the Hearth and Soul Link Party. Hope to ‘see’ you again this week!

Your visits and your comments are greatly appreciated. I LOVE reading them, they motivate me to keep going and keep improving. If you have a question, please feel free to leave it here, email me, or message me on Facebook. Thank you so much for stopping by at All that's Jas, so let's talk :)