This guest post is by Susan Conley of Cook The Stone.
Key Lime Pie Recipe: Simple and Easy to Prepare Dessert
Key lime pie is an American dessert that is easy to prepare. Learn how to make it in this post.
Homemakers usually have a dessert that they can easily prepare when guests are to come over, or when they have to go to a friend’s house for a get-together.
Do you have one? If you’re still looking for a go-to dessert, so to speak, then I suggest you consider key lime pie. It’s quick and easy to prepare. It tastes fantastic as well.
What is key lime pie?
Key lime pie is a dessert with American roots. In fact, it is the official pie of Florida where it was said to have originated.
This dessert is made from key lime juice, sweetened condensed milk, and egg yolks. It got its name from the tiny key limes that are widely grown in Florida.
What is a key lime?
Key lime is a fruit of the Citrus aurantiifolia plant. It is usually sold as a green, oval fruit but it turns yellow when ripe. It is smaller but is more acidic than the Persian lime. Key limes originated from Southeast Asia but it is also grown in the US, Mexico, and parts of South America.
It has numerous health benefits. It is rich in vitamin C. In fact, a fluid ounce of its juice already has 14 percent of our daily vitamin C requirements. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that eliminates free radicals in the body and improves the function of the immune system.
Vitamin C can also aid in the secretion and maintenance of collagen. This protein is found in the skin and hair. It makes up to 35 percent of whole-body protein content. With more collagen in the body, you can have a healthier-looking skin and hair. So, it’s a win-win.
Key limes are rich in soluble fiber that can fight against cardiovascular disease, maintain ideal blood sugar levels and enhance digestion.
Key Lime Pie RecipeCreamy and rich, full of flavor favorite key lime #pie recipe your family will love! #keylime… Click To Tweet
How easy is it to prepare this key lime pie? Well, you’ll only need about 30 minutes to complete this recipe.
For the crust:
- Graham crackers, 11 pieces
- Butter, 7 tablespoons (melted)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
For the pie filling:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of key lime zest
- Three egg yolks
- A can of sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup of key lime juice, which you can get from about a pound of key limes
For the topping:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
For the crust:
- Preheat the oven to about 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While waiting for the oven to heat to the desired temperature, place the graham crackers in a plastic bag. Crush them until you get crumbles. You can also put the crackers in a food processor.
- In a large mixing bowl, put butter then add the graham cracker crumbs. Put sugar and salt then combine the ingredients.
- Put this mixture into a pie dish. Next, pat it down using your fingers so that you can make a crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes. You’ll know that it is done when the color has turned light brown. Let it cool as you prepare the pie filling.
For the pie filling:
- First, whip the key lime zest with the egg yolks in a large bowl for two minutes. Reserve a pinch of the zest as you will use it to sprinkle the top of the pie.
- Then add the milk and mix for three minutes.
- Add the lime juice. Mix until it has been integrated with the mixture.
- Pour this into the pie crust. Then place it in the oven for 15 minutes. You will notice that the pie will slightly rise although there is no change in the color of the filling.
- Let this cool for half an hour. If you are not pressed for time, you can cool it in the fridge for another 2 hours. Placing it in the freezer is also a good option.
For the topping:
Simply whip together the sugar and cream using an electric mixer. This should not take more than 2-3 minutes. Use this to top the pie. You can also add extra key lime zest for garnishing.
If you are not to eat the pie right away, I suggest you keep it refrigerated. Don’t leave it out for more than two hours at room temperature because it can easily spoil.
When refrigerated, key pie lime will stay fresh for about two to three days. It should be covered loosely with plastic wrap. It is also possible to freeze it.
Key lime pie is a true American dessert that is also enjoyed by millions of people from other parts of the globe. And as you have learned after reading this post, it isn’t that complicated to make.
How did you find this article? Let me know your thoughts by writing in the comments section below.
Dear friends, I’m Susan – the owner of the blog http://www.cookthestone.com. I have huge passions for cooking and blogging. Sharing useful information to you is my happiness. Hope my cooking experience can help you in some ways. I will appreciate if I can receive your comments and supports. Happy cooking!
Thank you, Susan, for sharing this recipe with us! I LOVE key lime pie but never made it myself. With your easy-to-follow recipe, nothing will stop me now.
Lastly, check out Susan’s bonus below: an infographic on super foods. She did a great job creating it and it’s such great reference! Thanks for sharing, Susan!
Pin It: Key Lime Pie Recipe
Latest posts by Jas (see all)
- Baklava Ice Cream in Fillo Cups - August 17, 2017
- How To Lose 30 Pounds With UN Diet – The Ultimate Diet Plan - August 12, 2017
- The Best No Bake Tiramisu Cheesecake - August 8, 2017