There’s nothing better than a meal using fresh veggies that are packed with flavor. This beautiful asparagus and peas dish brings all the yummy flavors to your table and the lemon vinaigrette gives the veggies that fresh summer taste. It’s the perfect solution for your lazy summer cooking style.
Well, perhaps you’re not as lazy during the summer as I am, but you’ll love this dish regardless. Who doesn’t want to cut down some cooking time, amirite?
Of course, bacon makes everything better (in my opinion, but my daughter begs to differ), though asparagus and peas are delicious even without the bacon. This dish is gluten free and paleo friendly for those with dietary restrictions and omitting bacon makes it a vegetarian and vegan dish as well.
My inspiration for this dish came from an old Cooking Light magazine. It called for tarragon vinegar, fresh tarragon, and shallots but you know me – I love simplifying recipes.
Be careful not to overcook the veggies if you want to preserve that beautiful green color and the nutrients. Serve along roasted chicken or pork chops and add rice pilaf or mashed potatoes for a complete meal.
Asparagus and Peas with Lemon VinaigretteQuick and #easy fresh summer dish with #asparagus, #peas, and #bacon tossed with warm #lemon… Click To Tweet
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and halved crosswise
- 8 oz. sugar snap peas
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas, thawed
- 3 center-cut bacon slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup onions
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon organic Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
~ Free Tip ~
Substitute bacon with ham or leave the meat out completely for a vegetarian and vegan dish. Use tarragon or white wine vinegar instead of the lemon juice. Add fresh tarragon or mint. Turn it into a salad by chilling in the refrigerator before serving.
- First, bring water to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add asparagus, snap peas, and green peas.
- Cook 3 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water, then drain again.
- Then, cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels; crumble.
- Discard all but 1 tablespoon bacon drippings.
- Add oil to pan over medium heat. Stir in onions and cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add lemon juice and mustard and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Finally, mix in vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Before serving, stir in crumbled bacon and grated lemon rind.
Pin it: Asparagus and Peas with Lemon Vinaigrette
See this recipe featured on Two Chicks and a Mom.
Latest posts by Jas (see all)
- Swedish Apple Oatmeal Pie with Vanilla Sauce #AppleWeek - September 25, 2017
- Apple Week Welcome Giveaway! #AppleWeek - September 25, 2017
- Florida Citrus Drop Shot in 60 Seconds #FoodBloggers4FL - September 21, 2017