Brie and Jelly French Toast
Let me tell you about my relationship with brie cheese. When I first saw my cousin making a sandwich with brie cheese and jelly I thought she’d gone mad. That looked like the weirdest combination in the world although since our move to Germany I have gotten used to the sweet-savory food pairings. Cheese and jelly together though? Yuck. I certainly didn’t like its creamy texture with a rind of white mold.
Come to find out you can eat the rind too. I acquired a taste for this cheese by trying its baked version. Oh, there are so many things from Europe I wish we had here, baked brie being one of them. I know you’re going to say just bake it yourself, but it’s not the same. You can buy breaded frozen brie or camembert cheese which is very similar in taste. Then you fry this goodness in a pan and top it with red currant jelly. Wait just a few minutes for the cheese to harden enough before you cut into it. You get that gooey, creamy, melt in your mouth goodness, with the crunchy texture from the breadcrumbs and sweetness of the jelly…are you drooling yet? I am.
Over the past years, I have tried different recipes for baked brie. For the savory version, my favorite is mushroom stuffed brie cheese wrapped in a puff pastry, and for a sweet option, the brie is glazed with brown sugar and nuts. And yes, I have made many brie and jelly sandwiches since then. You can find brie cheese in my refrigerator almost at any time. The idea for the Brie and Jelly French Toast came to me when I saw an Instagram post of a cream cheese and jelly French toast.
I have to admit I have never heard of it, although, I browse recipes from all over the world daily. I immediately wanted to try it and as I was gathering my ingredients from the fridge, you guessed it, there was a box of brie. What a way to fancy up your boring French toast. This was a perfect breakfast for my home-alone Friday morning. Double the ingredients if you’re planning a breakfast in bed for two. Ta-da!
2 thick slices of Toast Bread (like Texas toast)
2 tablespoons Milk
1 tablespoon Sugar
Pinch of Salt
4-5 slices Brie or Camembert Cheese
1 tablespoon Red Currant Jelly or Preserves (can use strawberry jelly as well)
Maple Syrup or other syrup of choice
2 tablespoons Butter
Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Spread the jelly on one slice of toast and top with cheese slices.
Cover with the other piece of toast. In a shallow dish whisk together the egg, milk, salt, and sugar with a fork until combined. Dip both sides of bread in egg mixture. Fry slices until golden brown, then flip to cook the other side.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Sprinkle some more.
Top with syrup.
This is my new favorite!
I think I’ll have it for dinner too.
Brie and Jelly French Toast
- Serves 1
- 2 thick slices of Toast Bread like Texas toast
- 1 Egg
- 2 tablespoons Milk
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 4-5 slices Brie or Camembert Cheese
- 1 tablespoon Red Currant Jelly or Preserves can use strawberry jelly as well
- Powdered Sugar
- Maple Syrup or other syrup of choice
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Spread the jelly on one slice of toast and top with cheese slices. Cover with the other piece of toast. In a shallow dish whisk together the egg, milk, salt, and sugar with a fork until combined. Dip both sides of bread in egg mixture.
- Fry slices until golden brown, then flip to cook the other side. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Sprinkle some more. Top with syrup.
Looking forward to connecting to you soon.
For more quick recipes and tips follow my All that’s Jas Facebook page or social network of your preference. It makes my day 🙂
Latest posts by Jas (see all)
- Parmesan and Sesame Buttermilk Biscuits - April 16, 2019
- Spicy Marinated Brussels Sprouts - April 9, 2019
- Spaghetti with Veracruz Sauce – Espagueti en Salsa Veracruzana - April 2, 2019