Chicken & Potato Stew
If you were growing up in Bosnia five of your main weekly meals would have been some kind of stewed meat with vegetables, like this chicken and potato stew, served with warm bread and fresh salad.
The other two, usually on weekends, were preceded by clear beef or chicken soup with homemade wheat dumplings or noodles. That’s what I call comfort food. My daughter, who was six when we left Bosnia, thinks that stews and soups should exclusively be served during cold winters but her almost two-year-old daughter loves “Gamma’s” soups even on a hot summer day. Not to mention that she insists on helping in the kitchen. Did I tell you she’s my favorite?
So if you, like me, do not care for the right season to eat stews and soups this recipe is a must try. Chicken can be substituted with beef but chicken cooks faster and I am all for quickly prepared meals.
2 serving-size Chicken pieces (dark meat has more flavor)
3 medium-size Potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 Onion, chopped
1 Celery stalk, chopped
1 Carrot, sliced
½ Bell Pepper, chopped
1 Tomato, chopped
1 Garlic clove, minced
2 Bay leaves
1 teaspoon Paprika
2 cups Chicken Stock
Black Peppercorns (about ½ teaspoon)
1 tablespoon fresh, chopped Parsley (or 1 teaspoon dried)
Salt & Pepper to taste
Sour Cream (optional)
In a pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onions, celery, peppers, carrots, peppercorns, and bay leaves until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add chicken, tomato, and garlic, and cook until chicken is no longer pink. Add stock, potatoes, paprika, and parsley and cook for 20 minutes or until potatoes are cooked. Add water if necessary, depending on how thick you like your stews. Season stew with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and bread.
Chicken & Potato Stew
- 2 serving-size Chicken pieces dark meat has more flavor
- 3 medium-size Potatoes peeled and quartered
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Celery stalk chopped
- 1 Carrot sliced
- ½ Bell Pepper chopped
- 1 Tomato chopped
- 1 Garlic clove minced
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- Black Peppercorns about ½ teaspoon
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped Parsley (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Sour Cream optional
- In a pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Sauté onions, celery, peppers, carrots, pepper corns, and bay leaves until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, tomato, and garlic, and cook until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add stock, potatoes, paprika and parsley and cook for 20 minutes or until potatoes are cooked. Add water if necessary, depending how thick you like your stews. Season stew with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and bread.
Latest posts by Jas (see all)
- Potato-Stuffed Roasted Bell Peppers - January 14, 2020
- Classic Bosnian Stuffed Cabbage Rolls – Sarma - December 17, 2019
- Danish Yeast Buns with Walnuts, Cranberries, and Raisins - December 10, 2019