Spicy Italian Slab Pie Recipe
Easy to make, this simple spicy Italian slab pie is packed with favorite Italian ingredients that will make your whole family swoon.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- ½ pound spicy Italian sausage bulk or casings removed
- 3 cups packed fresh spinach leaves chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry 17.3 oz., thawed
- 2/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 2/3 cup jarred marinara sauce
- ½ cup packed fresh basil leaves sliced
- Flour for dusting
In a large skillet, heat the 1 ½ tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned. Transfer to a plate.
Reduce the heat to low. Add the remaining oil, fennel, and garlic; season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add spinach and stir until wilted. Mix in the sausage.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
In a small bowl, beat the egg with 1 teaspoon water. On a lightly floured surface, roll each puff pastry sheet into a 10x12-inch rectangle. Transfer one sheet to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Top with sausage mixture, leaving a 1-inch border. With a tablespoon, dot with the ricotta, then drizzle with the marinara sauce and sprinkle with half the basil.
Brush the border of the pastry with the egg wash and line up with the remaining sheet of puff pastry, pressing the edges to seal.
Brush the top with egg, and then use a fork to crimp the edges. Cut 4 slits in the top to allow steam to escape. Bake until the pastry is puffed and golden, about 20-30 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining basil and serve with a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
~ Free Tip ~
- You can use celery instead of fennel.
- Replace Italian sausage with spicy Kosher/Halal turkey sausage.