Croatian Easy Eggless Apple Cake with Semolina
Make magic by layering dry ingredients with apples to yield a delicious, moist eggless cake.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 3 to 3 1/2 pounds juicy apples like Fuji
- 2 cups sugar divided
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups semolina or cream of wheat
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 stick cold butter + 2 tablespoons at room temperature
- Powdered sugar for dusting optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Peel, core, and grate apples reserving the juices. Mix with 1 cup of the sugar and cinnamon.
In another mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, semolina, remaining cup of sugar, and baking powder.
Grease 9x13x2-inch baking pan with 2 tablespoons of butter. Pour two cups of the dry mixture into the prepared pan. Layer half of the apples on top and gently even out with a spoon or an offset spatula. Top evenly with 1 1/2 cups of the dry mixture then distribute the other half of the apples with juices over it. Pour the remainder of the dry mixture over the apples. Pierce the cake with a fork. Dot with 1 1/2 stick sliced butter.
Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown in color. Let cool completely in the pan. Dust with powdered sugar just before serving. Enjoy!
~ Free Tip ~
- It is important to use juicy apples and to reserve the juices as that is the only liquid in this recipe. Trust me, you don't want to eat raw flour or semolina.
- The quickest way to grate apples is to use a food processor with the grater blade attachment.
- If you follow instructions exactly, including the size of the baking pan, you will get a delicious, soft cake.
- Substitute butter with margarine or coconut oil for a vegan version.
- You can replace one cup of flour with ground nuts for even better flavor.
Calories: 3702kcal | Carbohydrates: 846g | Protein: 68g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 34mg | Potassium: 2100mg | Fiber: 24g | Sugar: 400g | Calcium: 694mg | Iron: 28mg