Gluten-Free German Sunny-Side Up Cake Recipe
This one-of-a-kind German cake resembles sunny-side-up eggs, is fun and lip-smacking good. Easy to make and gluten-free so you can have your cake and eat it too!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Chilling Time 1 hour
Total Time 35 minutes
For the cake
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/3 cups almond flour/meal
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
For the "egg" topping
- 1 15 oz. can apricot halves, 1/2 cup juice reserved
- 1 3.3 oz. package white chocolate instant pudding and pie filling
- 1 cup whole milk cold
- 1/2 cup sour cream
For the "egg" topping
Drain the apricots, collecting the juice. Place the apricot halves, cut side down, on a paper towel to dry.
In a bowl, whisk the pudding mix with 1 cup milk until it thickens. Add sour cream and mix until combined. Spread the "egg white" evenly over the cooled cake using an offset spatula. Distribute apricot halves on top of the pudding and glaze with reserved juices using a pastry brush. Refrigerate before serving.
- You can easily double this recipe if you're serving it to more than 9 people. Either use two 9" square pans or one 10x15-inch pan.
- Lining the pan with parchment paper ensures easy removal of the cake. You can either serve it from the pan or place the cake base on a serving plate first and then spread the topping. Either way, you don't want it to stick to the bottom of the pan.
- I highly recommend Del Monte apricots (not an affiliate). The halves are firm and perfectly shaped. Some other brands I tried were less than desirable - they were too soft and fell apart.
- You can use vanilla pudding if you wish, but most have a yellow hue which is not suitable for "egg whites". Even the white chocolate pudding was off white, but the addition of sour cream turned it white enough.
- A sprinkle of fake salt and pepper will make these eggs even more convincing. I used white crystal sprinkles for the salt, grated dark chocolate as pepper, and green candy shreds for chives. You can omit the "salt" and also use cocoa powder or ground vanilla bean powder as your pepper. Chopped pistachios make good chives as well.
Calories: 307kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 158mg | Potassium: 131mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 760IU | Vitamin C: 9.5mg | Calcium: 129mg | Iron: 1.4mg