Homemade Chipotle Burrito Bowl
This easy and delicious copycat Mexican Chipotle burrito bowl recipe is a real crowd-pleaser.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
For the meat
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
For the rice
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 cup salsa
For the toppings
- 3 cups chopped iceberg or Romaine lettuce
- 1 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup whole kernel corn drained
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 cup orange bell pepper diced (optional)
- 1-2 avocado sliced or diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 lime
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Chipotle burrito sauce
For the meat
In a large non-stick or cast-iron skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until translucent, then add the ground beef. Cook, stirring often and breaking the meat into small pieces until the meat is cooked through, 5-8 minutes.
Take the skillet off the heat and drain any excess grease, it needed.
Return the skillet to the heat and stir in garlic, cumin, chili, oregano, coriander, salt, and pepper.
Add the tomato sauce and simmer the mixture for additional 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
~ Free Tip ~
Substitute all spices for the meat with a package of taco seasoning. Use grilled chicken instead of ground beef. Omit meat for a vegetarian version but increase
the amount of toppings. Top with guacamole instead of chopped avocado. Use sour cream instead of Chipotle burrito sauce (but the sauce is seriously yummy!)
Calories: 3346kcal | Carbohydrates: 317g | Protein: 156g | Fat: 168g | Saturated Fat: 56g | Cholesterol: 410mg | Sodium: 5629mg | Potassium: 6870mg | Fiber: 57g | Sugar: 49g | Vitamin A: 256.5% | Vitamin C: 386.3% | Calcium: 123% | Iron: 170.3%