South African Oatmeal Cookie Bars - Crunchies
These simple, South African oatmeal cookie bars aka crunchies are astonishingly delicious. Enjoy their nutty flavor at breakfast or as a snack.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 1 ½ cups oatmeal flakes
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup slivered or sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 oz. 1 ½ sticks butter
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup*
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, oatmeal, coconut, almonds, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well.
In a small saucepan, heat the butter, molasses, sugars, and salt until completely melted. Stir in baking soda.
Pour the butter mixture over the oatmeal mixture. Mix until thoroughly combined.
Press the mixture tightly into a greased 8x8-inch baking pan.
Bake for 15 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 300 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 10 minutes longer or until golden brown.
Cut into bars or diamonds while still warm. Let cool completely before removing from the pan. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
~ Free Tip ~
- *If you don't have golden syrup available, try these sweeteners as an alternative: molasses, corn or maple syrup, Agave, or honey.
- For the crunchier and thinner crunchies, bake in a 9x13 pan.
- For a healthier version, replace all but 1/4 cup brown sugar with 2-3 mashed bananas and use only 1 stick of butter.