Potato Plum Dumplings - All that's Jas

Potato Plum Dumplings – Knedle sa Šljivama

I’m making potato plum dumplings – again, as you probably know if you follow my Instagram of Facebook account. Finding small European plums here proves to be difficult and when they are available I take advantage. Maybe I should freeze the plums, duh. I have tried freezing the raw dumplings but they fell apart by cooking and it wasn’t pretty. What a waste!

You can use the regular plums like Black Beauty, however, cut them in smaller pieces. You don’t want dumplings the size of your face.

Dumplings are a staple in our cuisine. Savory or sweet they are equally favored. They are not always made with potatoes as a base. Bacon bread dumplings are made with bread, obviously, and guess what are semolina dumplings made with? Yep, semolina. Those are great for soups.

Potato Plum Dumplings

#Sweet and pillowy #potato #plum #dumplings are European's favorite #winter #dessert. Click To Tweet

Potato Plum Dumplings - All that's Jas

Makes 8-10

2 large potatoes, boiled and then peeled
1 tablespoon butter
1 egg
¼ teaspoon salt
1 to 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
8 ripe Italian prune plums, pitted
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup plain bread crumbs
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Sour cream (optional)

In a medium bowl, mash potatoes with salt and butter  or run through potato ricer. Let cool completely. Add egg and mix until well combined. Sift in flour and knead until soft dough forms and it does not stick to your hands. Cut dough into 8-10 equal pieces, depending on the size of your plums.

With lightly floured hands, take a piece of dough and pat it flat. Place one plum in the center and bring sides of dough over plum; roll it between the hands until it’s sealed tight (moist your hands if necessary). Optional: if plums are not quite ripe, place a sugar cube dipped in rum inside of each plum to increase the sweetness and flavor.

In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil. Lower the heat to medium. One at a time put dumplings into boiling water. Cook for 10-15 minutes. Dumplings are done when they rise to the top.

In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat; add bread crumbs. Stir for a couple of minutes or until they darken just a bit. Using a slotted spoon, add cooked dumplings to the breadcrumbs and roll them in the pan to coat completely. Transfer to a plate.

In a small bowl combine the sugar and cinnamon.

Serve dumplings topped with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkled with sugar/cinnamon mixture.

Potato Plum Dumplings - All that's Jas

Potato Plum Dumplings - All that's Jas

Potato Plum Dumplings - All that's Jas

Potato Plum Dumplings - All that's Jas

Potato Plum Dumplings – Knedle sa Šljivama

Potato Plum Dumplings – Knedle sa Šljivama

Sweet and pillowy potato plum dumplings are European's favorite winter dessert.

• 2 large potatoes, boiled and then peeled
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 egg
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 to 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
  • 8 ripe Italian prune plums, pitted
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/3 cup plain bread crumbs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • Sour cream (optional)

In a medium bowl, mash potatoes with salt and butter or run through potato ricer. Let cool completely. Add egg and mix until well combined. Sift in flour and knead until soft dough forms and it does not stick to your hands. Cut dough into 8-10 equal pieces, depending on the size of your plums.

With lightly floured hands, take a piece of dough and pat it flat. Place one plum in the center and bring sides of dough over plum; roll it between the hands until it's sealed tight (moist your hands if necessary). Optional: if plums are not quite ripe, place a sugar cube dipped in rum inside of each plum to increase the sweetness and flavor.

In a small bowl combine the sugar and cinnamon.

This post contains affiliate links for your convenience, please see disclosure here.

For this recipe I used organic cinnamon. Love the intensity of flavor and aroma.

Chris
    February 21, 2017 at 2:07 am

Thus dessert origin from Hungary. Few small derails, ingredients missing, but acceptable like this. Good job!

February 21, 2017 at 11:28 pm

Thank you, Chris, happy you approve! There are many influences throughout the Balkan region and through the history, it’s hard to say who came up with it first, but I’m not arguing. For example, Greek claims the baklava but it was Turkey that brought it over during the Ottoman Empire. There are also too many variations to the same recipes, that is impossible to know which is the original (our baklava is soaked in syrup while Greek is dry). My family has been making plum dumplings like this for generations, quite possibly since the Austro Hungarian Empire. Thanks for stopping in! Wishing you a blessed week!

Tom Bradly
    January 20, 2017 at 3:11 am

Asked the wife to make these for our Christmas dinner starters and it was a big hit! Thanks for the recipe!

Mary-the boondocks blog
    October 27, 2016 at 5:11 pm

Jas this is so unusual. I never make dumplings but I can see how great they must be, biting into them to find the nice treat inside. The only dumplings I’ve ever had are the Chinese variety. This is obviously much more than that.
    Mary-the boondocks blog recently posted…old Stone Buildings on the WaterfrontMy Profile

October 28, 2016 at 8:17 pm

Mary, these are completely different! I’m surprised Greeks don’t have a version of this. Our cuisine is pretty similar otherwise. Have a relaxing weekend!

Katrin
    October 24, 2016 at 2:41 pm

Jas, you make the most amazing treats! This looks so delicious, I can smell it from here! For me, plums mean autumn and these little ones are the ones I love! We used to have one or two plum trees with exactly these plums in our garden and they were so delicous. My grandma used to can them and we’d have them all winter long!!
    Katrin recently posted…5 minute Fairy Lights lantern decorMy Profile

October 24, 2016 at 4:15 pm

That’s exactly why they’re my favorite. My grandma had plum orchard and she used to make the best jam with whatever was left after my grandpa made plum brandy, lol. Last year I’ve planted one tree (of those small plums) and am hoping to see some fruit in a couple of years 🙂 Thanks for stopping in and have a great week!

October 23, 2016 at 11:46 am

This looks like a tasty treat!! Thanks for sharing at the What’s for Dinner link party!
    Helen at the Lazy Gastronome recently posted…What’s For Dinner? Sunday Link up #67My Profile

October 23, 2016 at 6:34 pm

Hi, Helen! Thank you, it really is very tasty. Thanks for visiting!

Karly
    October 23, 2016 at 11:42 am

These dumplings look amazing! Thanks for linkin’ up with What’s Cookin’ Wednesday!

October 23, 2016 at 6:35 pm

Karly, thank you for your kind comment. Have a great week ahead!

Ricky
    October 23, 2016 at 9:20 am

You better freeze the cooked dumplings. They freeze well and can be heaten up easily in the mircowave or hot water. By the way, this dough tastes also very good with apricots instead of plums or try soaked prunes, they were my choice when I could not get hold of plums to make plum butter.

October 23, 2016 at 11:00 am

Thank you, Ricky! I have made them with peaches before and they are also yummy, but traditionally we use plums in my home-country. I will try soaking the prunes in rum first, I bet it’ll taste amazing! Thanks for stopping in 🙂

Andre C. Howell
    October 22, 2016 at 9:59 am

I’ve never heard of this dish, and also want to try. However, where I live there is no plum. Can I replace it with what fruit?

October 23, 2016 at 10:17 am

Yes, you can. Peaches work very well too. Just don’t use the whole peach, lol. Where do you live that there are no plums? 🙂

Azu
    October 22, 2016 at 9:09 am

Have never heard about this potato dumplings, they look so delicious! The only problem would be to find those Italian plums..

October 22, 2016 at 9:20 am

Yeah, that is the problem sometimes. When they’re in season I find them at farmer’s market or Whole Foods. Otherwise I just use the chunks of regular plums. Still tastes good though 🙂

Cucicucicoo: Eco Sewing and Crafting
    October 22, 2016 at 4:50 am

Oh my goodness! My father is Hungarian and I grew up eating plum dumplings and have always loved them. I never learned how to make them, though, and haven’t eaten them in ages. I must try this– pinned!! 🙂 Lisa

October 22, 2016 at 9:21 am

I’m so glad, Lisa! They evoke childhood memories for me too. Something so comforting in them 🙂 Thanks for stopping in!

October 20, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Jas this is a really interesting dessert and have never seen anything quite like it. However, you are right you have to snag those petite plum prunes when you can get your hands on them…difficult to find. Gorgeous photos ! Sharing everywhere!
    Bam’s Kitchen recently posted…Super Easy Grilled Asian EggplantMy Profile

October 21, 2016 at 3:13 pm

Thank you, Bobbi! Those are my family’s favorite fall dessert!

Bacon Bread Dumplings - All that's Jas
    October 17, 2016 at 9:44 am

[…] Originating from Austrian, German, and Czech cuisine, dumplings spread throughout the Europe with variations. They can be made of ground liver (yuck), semolina (to drop into soup), or potatoes (dessert). […]