Best Cauli Mac and Cheese - All that's Jas

Best Cauli Mac and Cheese

Best homemade mac and cheese loaded with cauliflower will trick the pickiest eaters into eating their veggies.

Today I’m teaching you a little trick.

My granddaughters come over for dinner every other week. Their only request? Mac and cheese. I think I need to buy some stock in pasta, but I digress.

Best Cauli Mac and Cheese

Mac and cheese is simple to make from scratch (no need for boxed versions that are full of additives), and is very forgiving in that you can’t really mess it up, even when experimenting with it.

In this version I added cauliflower. The flavor is mild and it wouldn’t set off my granddaughters’ “veggie radar” because it blends right in (as does its color). It also adds a mild sweetness to the dish.

Tip: Never reveal your secret!

Best Homemade Mac and Cheese with Cauliflower

It turns out there are plenty of picky eaters among adults as well, but trust me, you can trick them too with this yummy dish. I’m a real magician when it comes to hiding veggies. I’ve snuck a whole cabbage head into this sneaky casserole and no one ever knew. The veggies are not really hidden in these southwestern egg rolls, but they are so fun to eat.

I’m always looking for ways to make comfort foods a bit healthier.

Have you snuck veggies into your dishes? How do you make your recipes wholesome? Tell me in the comments!

#Best #mac and #cheese with #cauliflower will trick the pickiest eaters into #eating their… Click To Tweet

Best Cauli Mac and Cheese - All that's Jas

Serves 4-6

8 ounces uncooked macaroni (I used whole grain Rotini)
1 small head cauliflower, chopped
3 tablespoon olive oil
¼ cup chopped onion
1 cup low fat sour cream
½ cup skim milk
1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
1 tablespoon mustard
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
½ cup bread crumbs
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley

In a pot with salted water cook cauliflower and macaroni al dente according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.

In a large skillet heat two tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until tender, stirring frequently. Add cooked macaroni and cauliflower. Stir in sour cream, milk, cheese, and mustard. Season the macaroni with salt and pepper. Stir well until cheese is melted. Transfer to a casserole dish.

In a small bowl mix bread crumbs, parsley, and one tablespoon olive oil. Spread over the macaroni and cheese to cover.

Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.

Best Cauli Mac and Cheese - All that's Jas

Best Cauli Mac and Cheese - All that's Jas

Best Cauli Mac and Cheese - All that's Jas

Best Cauli Mac and Cheese

Best Cauli Mac and Cheese

• 8 ounces uncooked macaroni (I used whole grain Rotini)
  • 1 small head cauliflower, chopped
  • 3 tablespoon olive oil
  • ¼ cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup low fat sour cream
  • ½ cup skim milk
  • 1 cup shredded cheese (I used Mozzarella)
  • 1 tablespoon mustard
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
  • ½ cup bread crumbs
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley

Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.

1. […] finely chopped vegetables to stews, lasagna, or even pasta meat sauce. I have hidden cauliflower in mac & cheese and on pork chops covered with cheese before. My picky granddaughters never knew what hit […]

Easy Cauliflower Frittata - All that's Jas
    February 8, 2017 at 10:28 am

[…] Remember the whole cabbage head I hid from my husband? That was my favorite! And that other way I hid cauliflower from my granddaughter? I love this hide and seek game. What hiding place are you most proud of? […]

3. […] To stretch the wings and make a meal serve them with crispy roasted sweet potatoes, or yummy cauli mac and cheese. […]

Donella
    January 20, 2017 at 12:55 am

Added this to my Yummly recipe box. I’m always looking for ways to sneak in veggies with the kiddo’s favorite meals and sides.

January 20, 2017 at 8:41 am

Sneaky, sneaky, lol! Thanks for stopping in Donella. Wishing you a wonderful weekend ahead!

Pili
    January 18, 2017 at 6:52 pm

I usually disguise cauliflower in the meals too, it’s not a popular veggie around here. Thanks for another opportunity to make more healthy meals, pinning!
    Pili recently posted…Valentine’s Gift Guide For HimMy Profile

January 18, 2017 at 8:50 pm

Lol, you can’t even taste it in this dish. You can chop it really small so to hide it better! 😉

Rose
    January 14, 2017 at 9:25 am

I loooove cauliflower. I can’t wait to try this recipe out. I may have to make it for my niece and nephew as well

January 14, 2017 at 10:10 pm

Me too, Rose! I put it in everything, lol! Bet your niece and nephew won’t notice 😉

Leanna
    January 13, 2017 at 5:07 pm

This is a wonderful simple idea. It would lower the carb and calorie count per serving as well as adding vitamins.

January 14, 2017 at 10:09 pm

Most definitely, Leanna! Thank you for stopping in, hope you’re enjoying your weekend!

Amy
    January 13, 2017 at 1:21 pm

I love Cauliflower and this looks like a fantastic way to use it in a dish that is a little different. I can’t wait to try it. Thank you for sharing at Sugar and Spice Link Party.

January 13, 2017 at 3:20 pm

In that case, you will love this dish, Amy! Thanks for stopping in. Hope your weekend is full of blessings!

January 11, 2017 at 4:04 pm

I like the idea of combining the cauliflower with pasta rather than replacing it. Sounds good!! Thanks for sharing on the What’s for Dinner link up.
    Helen at the Lazy Gastronome recently posted…Lox & Avocado Toast – Breakfast on the RunMy Profile

January 11, 2017 at 6:35 pm

Hi, Helen. Baby steps… 😀

January 9, 2017 at 10:08 pm

Sounds delicious!
    Thanks for the recipe!
    Michelle recently posted…Cookie Brownie BarsMy Profile

January 9, 2017 at 11:58 pm

Hi, Michelle. Thank you and thanks for stopping in!

Rachel
    January 9, 2017 at 5:27 pm

I’m a huge fan of cauliflower, and I love mac n cheese. Will definitely make this recipe!

January 9, 2017 at 11:59 pm

Me too! Love it in any shape or form, lol. Let me know how it turns out for you :)

Carol, The Red Painted Cottage
    January 9, 2017 at 1:44 pm

What a great way to get kids to eat their veggies, as well as some adults! Love it!
    Carol, The Red Painted Cottage recently posted…Kitchen Declutter – How To Organize RecipesMy Profile

January 9, 2017 at 5:01 pm

Hi, Carol. Thank you, we need to be tricked sometimes too, don’t we? 😉

Karen (Back Road Journal)
    January 9, 2017 at 10:28 am

Sometimes we cooks have to be a little sneaky to get our families to eat a healthier. Like you idea of adding the cauliflower, I know I would enjoy your dish very much.
    Karen (Back Road Journal) recently posted…Spaghetti Squash With Sausage RagùMy Profile

January 9, 2017 at 5:03 pm

Thank you so much, Karen! The healthier you want it to be, the harder it gets. But, one dish at a time and we’ll get there, right?

January 7, 2017 at 9:34 pm

You are a very sneaky grandma,,,hiding veggies in the mac and cheese… Love the little crunchy topping too. Wishing you a super 2017!
    Bam’s Kitchen recently posted…Baked Tilapia with Caramelized Onion LentilsMy Profile

January 8, 2017 at 8:58 am

He, he….what can I say? 😉 Thanks, Bobbi, and all the best in 2017 to you and your family!