Delicious spinach artichoke grilled cheese sandwich will satisfy two cravings at once!
I love spinach and artichoke dip – maybe a little too much if I’m honest. It’s almost an addiction. My husband knows that’s the only shareable appetizer at a restaurant I won’t share and he doesn’t come near it.
Now, we don’t eat out very often and making spinach artichoke dip at home every time I crave it is not always feasible. But turning it into a grilled cheese sandwich is an excellent idea for two reasons:
1) You don’t need to make a huge batch or buy mounds of chips
2) It is so satiating, you won’t mind sharing it with your husband
Of course, making your food at home and knowing exactly what you put in it is another good reason, but the first two were convincing enough for me.
I’ve been always using mozzarella cheese for this grilled cheese sandwich, but here I made a few with cheddar just to add a bit of color.
I thought it surely wouldn’t take away from that spinach and artichoke dip flavor I love. I was wrong.
From now on, my friend, I’m sticking with mozzarella.
I was also thinking of some other, healthier, alternatives. But you know what?
April is a National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Month and I’ll celebrate it today with all this gooey cheese and bread and think of healthy food some other day. Besides, spinach and artichokes count for something, right? For more grilled cheese inspiration a group of bloggy friends got together to share their favorite grilled cheese sandwich. Make sure you visit their links below.
I shared the recipe for spinach and artichoke grilled cheese sandwich five years ago. It badly needed a revamp. I’ve got a few old posts I need to redo. I’ll get to it one day, I hope. Leaving the old post there in case you need a good laugh.
Spinach Artichoke Grilled CheeseFrom my favorite spinach & artichoke #dip to a grilled cheese sandwich - step by step.… Click To Tweet
Makes 4 sandwiches
6 cups fresh baby spinach leaves, chopped
6 canned artichoke hearts, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons sour cream
2 cups shredded or sliced mozzarella
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
8 slices of bread
Butter for spreading
Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 20-30 seconds. Toss in spinach and sauté until just wilted, about two minutes. Add the artichokes, salt and pepper, then sauté until heated through, about two minutes. Drain off any liquid from the skillet and stir in sour cream (to make spinach artichoke dip add mozzarella cheese, but for grilled cheese sandwich proceed to the steps below).
April is Grilled Cheese Month
It’s the start of Grilled Cheese Month, so we thought we’d give you lots of inspiration! Hosted by Caroline of Caroline’s Cooking – see all the delicious grilled cheese ideas being shared today:
- Apple Cheddar Bacon Grilled Cheese by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Apple Gouda Grilled Cheese by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Down the Grilled Cheese Rabbit Hole by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Grilled Cheddar, Onion and Tomato Sandwich by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Italian Inside-Out Grilled Cheese by Palatable Pastime
- Polish Reuben Grilled Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Quadruple Grilled Cheese by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Roast Beef, Brie and Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese by Family Around the Table
- Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese Sandwich by All that’s Jas
- “The Jammin’ Jamaican” Chicken Grilled Cheese by Caroline’s Cooking
- Tish’s Tasty Turkey Grilled Cheese Sliders by Cooking With Carlee
I’m social. Let’s connect on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest or Google+