delicious crusty and gooey spinach artichoke grilled cheese

Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese #GrilledCheese

Delicious spinach artichoke grilled cheese sandwich will satisfy two cravings at once!

I love spinach and artichoke dip – maybe a little too much if I’m honest. It’s almost an addiction. My husband knows that’s the only shareable appetizer at a restaurant I won’t share and he doesn’t come near it.

spinach artichoke grilled cheese sandwich - All that's Jas

Now, we don’t eat out very often and making spinach artichoke dip at home every time I crave it is not always feasible. But turning it into a grilled cheese sandwich is an excellent idea for two reasons:

1) You don’t need to make a huge batch or buy mounds of chips

2) It is so satiating, you won’t mind sharing it with your husband

Of course, making your food at home and knowing exactly what you put in it is another good reason, but the first two were convincing enough for me.

I’ve been always using mozzarella cheese for this grilled cheese sandwich, but here I made a few with cheddar just to add a bit of color.

I thought it surely wouldn’t take away from that spinach and artichoke dip flavor I love. I was wrong.

From now on, my friend, I’m sticking with mozzarella.

I was also thinking of some other, healthier, alternatives. But you know what?

April is a National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Month and I’ll celebrate it today with all this gooey cheese and bread and think of healthy food some other day. Besides, spinach and artichokes count for something, right? For more grilled cheese inspiration a group of bloggy friends got together to share their favorite grilled cheese sandwich. Make sure you visit their links below.

I shared the recipe for spinach and artichoke grilled cheese sandwich five years ago. It badly needed a revamp. I’ve got a few old posts I need to redo. I’ll get to it one day, I hope. Leaving the old post there in case you need a good laugh.

Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese

From my favorite spinach & artichoke #dip to a grilled cheese sandwich - step by step.… Click To Tweet

ingredients for spinach and artichoke grilled cheese

Makes 4 sandwiches

6 cups fresh baby spinach leaves, chopped
6 canned artichoke hearts, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons sour cream
2 cups shredded or sliced mozzarella
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
8 slices of bread
Butter for spreading

Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 20-30 seconds. Toss in spinach and sauté until just wilted, about two minutes. Add the artichokes, salt and pepper, then sauté until heated through, about two minutes. Drain off any liquid from the skillet and stir in sour cream (to make spinach artichoke dip add mozzarella cheese, but for grilled cheese sandwich proceed to the steps below).

Spread butter on one side of each of bread pieces. Heat a griddle pan or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Place pieces of bread on the griddle, buttered side down. Spread some shredded cheese, the spinach artichoke filling, and some more cheese. Top with the other piece of bread buttered side faced up. When the bottom is browned, flip the sandwich and cook until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted.
bread slices filled with cheese and spinach artichoke dip ready to be grilled
Tip: Assemble your sandwiches before placing them in a skillet to minimize the amount of cheese falling out and burning. Of course, you won’t have this problem if you use sliced cheese. However, if you like lots of gooey cheese, shredded is the way to go.
how to make spinach and artichoke grilled cheese
Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese

Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese

Delicious spinach and artichoke dip in a grilled cheese sandwich will satisfy two cravings at once!

• 6 cups fresh baby spinach leaves, chopped
  • 6 canned artichoke hearts, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons sour cream
  • 2 cups shredded or sliced mozzarella
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
  • 8 slices of bread
  • Butter for spreading

Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 20-30 seconds. Toss in spinach and sauté until just wilted, about two minutes. Add the artichokes, salt and pepper, then sauté until heated through, about two minutes. Drain off any liquid from the skillet and stir in sour cream.

Spread butter on one side of each of bread pieces. Heat a griddle pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Place pieces of bread on the griddle, buttered side down. Spread some shredded cheese, the spinach artichoke filling and some more cheese. Top with the other piece of bread buttered side faced up. When the bottom is browned, flip the sandwich and cook until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted.

Notes

Tip: Assemble your sandwiches before placing them in a skillet to minimize the amount of cheese falling out and burning. Of course, you won't have this problem if you use sliced cheese. However, if you like lots of gooey cheese, shredded is the way to go.

This spinach artichoke grilled cheese sandwich is here to stay!

Pin it: Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese

Grilled cheese sandwich stuffed with spinach and artichoke dip and loads of gooey cheese is a new family favorite vegetarian lunch

April is Grilled Cheese Month

It’s the start of Grilled Cheese Month, so we thought we’d give you lots of inspiration! Hosted by Caroline of Caroline’s Cooking – see all the delicious grilled cheese ideas being shared today:

See this recipe featured on My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, The Sits Girls,  Repurpose and UpcycleWorthing Court Blog, The Red Painted Cottage, Buns In My Oven, and Kingsbury Brook Farm.

Jas is a cheesecake addict and the author of the Balkan Comfort Food cookbook available on Amazon. You can download a free excerpt of the book when you subscribe to All that's Jas newsletter updates. To learn more about Jas visit her About page.

1. […] All Thats Jas: Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese […]

Lindsey
    April 17, 2017 at 1:24 pm

HI Jas,
    this is Lindsey with repurpose and upcycle and I just wanted you to know that this recipe looks so good. I’m going to be featuring you tommorrow for the link party #iDIYedthat. Thanks so much for linking up and I hope to see you again this coming week.
    Lindsey recently posted…I DIYed That Link Party #7My Profile

April 18, 2017 at 10:51 pm

Hi, Lindsey! I saw it when I went to your site, it was such a nice surprise! Thank you bunches, I’m honored 😀

Marilyn Lesniak
    April 15, 2017 at 7:36 pm

Thank you for sharing your wonderful post at #OverTheMoon. I look forward to what you will share next week! Like someone in person today! We hope you’ll come back again next Sunday when we open our doors at 6:00 PM EST. Pinned and tweeted!

April 17, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Thanks, Marilyn! Always happy to party with you 😀

Sharon@BlueWillowHouse
    April 15, 2017 at 11:31 am

Your spinach and artichoke grilled cheese sandwich sounds delish. Thank you for sharing your recipe at the Snickerdoodle Create~Bake~Make link party!
    Sharon@BlueWillowHouse recently posted…A Fun Giveaway – Aladdin Heritage Plaid Lunch KitMy Profile

April 17, 2017 at 12:29 pm

Thank you, Sharon! Much appreciated 🙂

Sandra
    April 14, 2017 at 5:12 pm

I don’t have grilled cheese as often as I would like to. However, spinach and artichokes are veggies so I’ll look at it as getting in another veggie serving for the day.
    Sandra recently posted…Quaint and Simple Easter TablescapeMy Profile

April 14, 2017 at 9:29 pm

Ha, ha I like that analysis.

Joyce
    April 14, 2017 at 9:29 am

Never had this before and I will trying this recipe! There is something about Spinach and artichoke together and I never thought of trying it this way. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us at Funtastic Friday.

April 14, 2017 at 9:26 pm

Thanks, Joyce! I’m sure you’ll like it this way 😀

Jen Gregor
    April 13, 2017 at 8:30 pm

This looks amazing!! Can’t wait to try it. Pinned. Thanks for sharing at the Friday at the Fire Station link-up!
    Jen Gregor recently posted…What I Wore ~ Peach and PearlsMy Profile

April 14, 2017 at 8:13 am

Thank you, Jen! Have a great day 🙂

Megin
    April 13, 2017 at 2:14 pm

What a fabulous idea, Jas! I think this sound so amazing ~ pinning to try later.
    I’m visiting today from The Pin Junkie Link Party.
    ~ Megin of VMG206

April 14, 2017 at 8:07 am

Thank you, Megin! Happy Easter 🙂

Carol, The Red Painted Cottage
    April 12, 2017 at 7:05 pm

Jas, I just wanted you to know that your spinach and artichoke grilled cheese is one of my features at Share Your Style! Congratulations, my friend!
    Carol, The Red Painted Cottage recently posted…Chicken Tchoupitoulas (Cajun Chicken with Bearnaise Sauce)My Profile

April 12, 2017 at 10:28 pm

Thank you, Carol! That’s a great news! I am thrilled 😀

10. […] finally for my last feature, we have to have something delightful to eat.  All that’s Jas has this delicious looking and different version of a grilled cheese sandwich, named Spinach and […]

11. […]     And finally for my last feature, we have to have something delightful to eat.  All that’s Jas has this delicious looking and different version of a grilled cheese sandwich, named Spinach and […]

Chloe
    April 12, 2017 at 1:30 pm

Oh yum! I love mixing up ingredients with grilled cheese, and this one is a great take on it! Thanks so much for sharing at Celebrate Your Story!

April 12, 2017 at 10:26 pm

Hi, Chloe! This one is my family’s fav! Thanks for stopping in!

April 11, 2017 at 11:05 am

I love the addition of the spinach and artichoke to your awesome grilled cheese! Thanks so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a fantastic weekend and come back soon!

April 11, 2017 at 9:19 pm

Thank you, Miz Helen! XO

14. […] GRILLED CHEESE WITH ARTICHOKE AND SPINACH BY ALL THATS JAS […]

THE SCOOP #270 - StoneGable
    April 10, 2017 at 6:01 pm

[…] GRILLED CHEESE WITH ARTICHOKE AND SPINACH BY ALL THATS JAS […]

16. […] Spinach artichoke grilled cheese […]

Heather
    April 10, 2017 at 1:20 pm

Spinach/Artichoke is my absolute FAVORITE! Will have to try this the next time we make grilled cheese! Thanks for sharing!

April 11, 2017 at 9:25 pm

Awesome, Heather! I know you’ll love it in a sandwich too 😀

Cristina
    April 10, 2017 at 5:59 am

What an interesting combinations. It looks so delicious!

April 10, 2017 at 11:56 am

Delicious meals can happen when you think outside the box 🙂 Thanks for visiting, Cristina!

Daphne
    April 10, 2017 at 4:38 am

Good morning Jas, I use all the ingredients you have listed, but I have never thought about putting them all together to make a sandwich. This is a fabulous sandwich and I cannot wait to make it. I just know my husband will love it as well.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

April 10, 2017 at 11:59 am

Hi, Daphne! We just can’t stop eating them.If you’re going to make them I’d suggest doubling the batch, unless you can contain yourselves. We always fail, lol.

Patty
    April 10, 2017 at 12:37 am

Ok. I’m not crazy! I used spin dip as like a spread on a sandwich. Never thought to grill cheese it! Thanks so much for the idea and letting me know I’m normal to want to eat it this way!’nn

April 10, 2017 at 12:16 pm

Haha, Patty, you’re completely normal! I don’t think there are any rules on how to make or eat a sandwich, so whatever floats your boat. At least that’s my story and I’m sticking to it, lol! 😉

Mary-the boondocks blog
    April 8, 2017 at 12:17 pm

Jas that dip looks pretty amazing. I couldn’t get past it to see the sandwich. But since you say this is grilled cheese month I’ll have to force myself to see that too. Who is it that can live without cheese? Certainly not I!!
    Mary-the boondocks blog recently posted…Facebook Photos for MarchMy Profile

April 8, 2017 at 10:29 pm

Me neither, Mary! I tried, but it keeps calling my name, lol. I love cheese too much. Hope you’re having a great weekend!

Nikki
    April 7, 2017 at 10:46 am

I love hearty grilled cheese sandwiches. I can’t wait to try this one. And I’m glad you tried it with cheddar and found out its better with mozzarella, because thats a mistake I would have made, I am sure, since I use cheddar for almost everything!
    🙂 gwingal

April 7, 2017 at 8:57 pm

Learn from other people mistakes, my mom always used to say. If only I listened to her sooner, ha! Thanks for stopping in and have a great weekend!

Lynn White
    April 7, 2017 at 10:41 am

You’ve taken everything I loved and put it in one recipe-is that even possible? Thanks for sharing this at the #HomeMattersParty! I’m definitely trying this sandwich.

April 7, 2017 at 8:53 pm

I certainly hope so, Lynn! Thanks for visiting and have a super weekend!

Colleen
    April 7, 2017 at 7:51 am

This sounds like a little bit of heaven!!!
    Colleen recently posted…Easter Sprinkles Cracker CandyMy Profile

April 7, 2017 at 8:52 pm

Thanks, Colleen! To me, it tastes just like a bit of heaven too!!!

Lynda
    April 6, 2017 at 9:47 am

This one made me thoroughly hungry – yum!
    Lynda recently posted…Party in Your PJs #152My Profile

April 6, 2017 at 8:48 pm

I’m so glad, Lynda! Thank you 😀

Alison's Allspice
    April 5, 2017 at 1:10 pm

This looks delicious! Thanks for the tip about the cheddar, I might have tried that too!
    Alison’s Allspice recently posted…Two Potato Hash with Mushrooms and Fried EggsMy Profile

April 5, 2017 at 6:52 pm

You’re welcome, Allison! It’s not bad, by any means, but it doesn’t have that spinach and artichoke dip flavor 🙂

27. […] Note: This old post has been revamped and updated into a new spinach and artichoke grilled cheese […]

Christie
    April 4, 2017 at 7:08 pm

It’s like spinach artichoke dip in a sandwich! YUM!

April 4, 2017 at 10:49 pm

It’s exactly that, Christie! 🙂

Mrs Shoes
    April 4, 2017 at 12:50 pm

“Jassy” new look you’ve got here, nice.
    I would never have thought of this is a million years, but I game to try it in consideration of cheese month.
    What a sport, right?
    p.s. I’m GLAD it’s not the healthy version – too much talk of healthy eating & calories & stuff just bores me because it’s been SO overdone that the whole thing seems to have just become a jumble of buzzwords. Can’t we just eat food and enjoy it?

April 4, 2017 at 10:52 pm

Thank you so much Mrs. Shoes! I agree with you on healthy food. I say everything in moderation 🙂

Cecilia
    April 4, 2017 at 12:31 pm

That’s one of the best grilled cheese recipes I’ve found. Thanks so much! I will try it!
    Cecilia recently posted…Top 10 Most Visited Posts in March 2017My Profile

April 4, 2017 at 10:53 pm

Aw, thank you! You made my day 😀

Molly
    April 4, 2017 at 11:17 am

Mmm that looks so delicious

Mollyx
    Molly recently posted…Day 94 – MysteriousMy Profile

April 4, 2017 at 10:54 pm

Thanks, Molly! It really is delicious, if you like spinach and artichoke dip.

April 4, 2017 at 9:04 am

Totally loving this cheesy addictive sandwich melt. Great new site, clean and easy to navigate. We were both overdue for a cleanup. Just pinned!
    Bam’s Kitchen recently posted…Press Release: Bam’s Kitchen Joins Healthy World Cuisine (HWC)My Profile

April 4, 2017 at 10:57 pm

Hi, Bobbi! Thank you for the compliments on my new design. I wanted a new look for a long time but was dreading the work. Still needs some tweaking but I can finally relax and do it at the slower pace.

April 4, 2017 at 6:53 am

Oh how scrumptiously delicious. All that gooey, oozy cheese with spinach and artichokes just has to be a winner, whether it’s in a sandwich or as a dip. Yummy

P.S.Your new web site looks stunning Jas
    Michelle recently posted…Comment on How to Make Some Rustic Egg Cups – Easy DIY by acraftymixMy Profile

April 4, 2017 at 7:55 am

Thank you so much, Michelle! I’m very pleased you like it 😀 Hope your week is going great!

Jolene
    April 4, 2017 at 6:39 am

Artichokes are on my 2017 to -try list, and what a great way to do it!

April 4, 2017 at 8:00 am

Hi, Jolene! Artichokes are best when mixed with another flavor. I also love them in a sauce like in my Italian chicken with artichoke sauce recipe. Hope you like them!

Caroline
    April 3, 2017 at 9:26 pm

This looks like such a fantastic sandwich – yum!

April 3, 2017 at 11:25 pm

Thank you, Caroline! 🙂

April 3, 2017 at 9:03 pm

I love your new look!!! And this sandwich looks amazing. I love spinach artichoke dip and making it into the feature of a grilled cheese is a wonderful idea! That way I don’t have to feel bad about eating a pile of chips!
    Carlee recently posted…Tish’s Tasty Turkey Grilled Cheese Sliders #GrilledCheeseMy Profile

April 3, 2017 at 11:27 pm

Thank you! It was long overdue. I love every sandwich featured. Each is unique and I can’t wait to try them all!

April 3, 2017 at 6:48 pm

Missing the meat already, Jas!

April 3, 2017 at 8:18 pm

You can always add some meat, Ann 😉

38. […] Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese Sandwich by All that’s Jas […]

Mersad
    April 3, 2017 at 11:56 am

Sooooo hungry now!!! 🙂
    Looks amazing!

– Mersad

April 3, 2017 at 5:14 pm

Ha, ha, sorry, Mersad! 😉

Taken for Granted
    April 3, 2017 at 11:24 am

Wonderful food photos. Yes, I would love to have this sandwich .
    Taken for Granted recently posted…Rail MuralMy Profile

April 3, 2017 at 5:16 pm

Thank you so much! Compliments are always welcomed! Have a wonderful week!

Wendy
    April 3, 2017 at 8:24 am

Great idea using the spinach artichoke dip and I think homemade is always best.

April 3, 2017 at 5:16 pm