15-minute Spanish Garlic Shrimp Tapa

15 Minute Spanish Garlic Shrimp Tapa

It takes about 15 minutes to make this delicious Spanish garlic shrimp but it tastes like you’ve spent hours in the kitchen.

Quick and Easy Spanish Garlic Shrimp Tapa

15 Minute Spanish Garlic Shrimp Tapa

Every meal should start with a tapa and one of Spain’s favorite tapas is gambas al ajillo, aka garlic shrimp.

What I love about this appetizer is that it makes entertaining a breeze. I always keep a bag of peeled, deveined shrimp in my freezer (of course, fresh is better). My guests, and especially my husband, make sure there are no leftovers.

Everything is better with garlic, don’t you think? I’ve eaten things that I normally wouldn’t only because they were prepared with lots of garlic. To name a few:

• Escargot
  • Frog legs
  • Mussels
  • Shrimp

Yes, lucky for my husband, I dislike shrimp. It’s a field day for him in the event that I prepare it. I’m fine with scooping up the sauce like in marinated spicy shrimp dish because it is super delicious.

Even better for dipping bread is this Spanish sauce of garlic, lemon, and dry sherry. So much so, it was gone before I even served it.

Do you taste your food while cooking? I usually don’t (wouldn’t suggest this for the beginner cooks) but I couldn’t resist the fragrance of this garlic shrimp.

My fresh baked bread came out of the oven hot and soft on the inside with a wonderful crispy crust. I just had to tear a piece and soak it in the sauce, and the next piece, and then the next…I mean, who needs shrimp anyway?

The Spanish use lots of garlic for this recipe, like ten cloves or more. Because garlic makes lonely, I only used two large cloves and it was perfect. But by all means, go for ten. Garlic is good for you; it wards off illness (and vampires, ha!) and also increases strength and endurance.

For the sake of authenticity, as well as to make sure you don’t reek like you bathed in garlic, I’m listing five cloves in my ingredients. Just know you can adjust it the way you like it.

15 Minute Spanish Garlic Shrimp Recipe

Get this easy recipe to a 15-minute Spanish Garlic Shrimp Tapa #shrimp #tapas Click To Tweet

Serves 4

1/2 cup olive oil
5 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you like it hot)
1 pound raw peeled and deveined shrimp, about 25 per pound
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup dry sherry (optional)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Fresh parsley leaves

~ Free Tip ~

Use Spanish brandy instead of dry sherry. Substitute cayenne pepper with Spanish paprika and red pepper flakes. Cook shrimp with the shell on, like the Spanish do.

If using frozen shrimp, defrost. Rinse shrimp under cold water and pat dry.

In a non-stick pan or cast iron skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. I love my skillet and cook so many dishes in it, as you may have noticed. Amazon has an awesome deal right now – you should totally take advantage!

Add the garlic and cayenne pepper and sauté until fragrant, about one minute. Be careful not to burn the garlic!

Next, add the shrimp, lemon juice, and sherry and increase the heat to medium-high.

Stir well, then sauté turning them once until the shrimp turn pink and curl – about 3-4 minutes.

Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Transfer shrimp with oil and sauce to a serving plate or serve right from the pan.  Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with fresh bread.

Spanish style shrimp in garlicy sauce is new family favorite

Delicious Spanish style garlic shrimp

15 Minute Spanish Garlic Shrimp Tapa

15 Minute Spanish Garlic Shrimp Tapa

It takes about 15 minutes to make this delicious Spanish garlic shrimp but it tastes like you've spent hours in the kitchen.

• 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you like it hot)
  • 1 pound raw peeled and deveined shrimp, about 25 per pound
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 1/4 cup dry sherry (optional)
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • Fresh parsley leaves

If using frozen shrimp, defrost. Rinse shrimp under cold water and pat dry.

In a non-stick pan or cast iron skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat.

Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with fresh bread.

Notes

~ Free Tip ~

Pin it: 15-Minute Spanish Garlic Shrimp Tapa

Only 15 minutes to make this delicous Spanish Garlic Shrimp Tapa aka gambas al ajillo. The garlic, lemon, parsley sauce is perfect for dipping your crusty bread.

See this recipe featured on Imparting Grace and The Pin Junkie.

Jas is a cheesecake addict and the author of the Balkan Comfort Food cookbook available on Amazon. You can download a free excerpt of the book when you subscribe to All that's Jas newsletter updates. To learn more about Jas visit her About page.

May 24, 2017 at 9:52 pm

That looks amazing! I can’t believe you don’t eat shrimp. My little dude will happily come eat your share!
    Carlee recently posted…Pacific Pineapple Pulled Pork {Slow Cooker}My Profile

May 24, 2017 at 10:07 pm

He can have it all, ha! It’s not the flavor, it’s something about the texture and the look that grosses me out. However, I LOVE bang-bang shrimp! They’re smaller, breaded, and coated in a sauce so I can’t even tell I’m eating shrimp, lol.

May 23, 2017 at 4:40 pm

Your Spanish Garlic Shrimp looks amazing! Thanks so much for sharing this awesome post with us at Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great day and come back soon!
    Miz Helen recently posted…Roasted Cauliflower Taco BitesMy Profile

May 23, 2017 at 8:44 pm

Thank you, Miz Helen!

Richella Parham
    May 18, 2017 at 9:04 am

Okay, your food always looks good, but this looks wonderful! I’ve pinned this recipe for future reference. I love shrimp, but it’s easy to end up with a less-than-flavorful shrimp dish. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

Thanks so much for joining the Grace at Home party at Imparting Grace. I’m featuring you this week!
    Richella Parham recently posted…When you think your heart might burstMy Profile

May 19, 2017 at 12:03 pm

Thank you, Richella! This dish is definitely full of flavor 🙂

Carol ("Mimi")
    May 18, 2017 at 8:56 am

I live in coastal Georgia where shrimping is an important part of the economy, and area restaurants are known for their signature shrimp dishes. This recipe looks really delicious. Thank you for linking up at #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty. I’m sharing your post on social media.
    Carol (“Mimi”) recently posted…3 Reasons to Make DIY Memory Wire BraceletsMy Profile

May 19, 2017 at 12:04 pm

Oh, I can only imagine all the wonderful flavors!

Patty
    May 18, 2017 at 8:47 am

Mmmm Delicious Jas!
    Patty recently posted…Sausage and Leek RollMy Profile

May 19, 2017 at 12:05 pm

Thank you, Patty, and thanks for stopping by 🙂

6. Hi Jas what time is dinner? These look delicious and one of our favourites in our house. Thanks for sharing with us at #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty. I’ve pinned and shared.
    Sue from Sizzling Towards 60 & Beyond recently posted…Fit & Fabulous: Mother’s Day Classic 2017 – The fight against Breast CancerMy Profile

May 19, 2017 at 12:07 pm

You’re welcome anytime, Sue! Have a great weekend!

Clearissa
    May 17, 2017 at 10:08 pm

Oh my…one more way to prepare my favorite, SHRIMP. Thank you so much. Thank you for linking up at the #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty. I shared this post.

May 19, 2017 at 12:10 pm

😀

Sandra
    May 17, 2017 at 7:22 pm

I don’t eat garlic either, but I would sop up that sauce in a heartbeat! Thank you for sharing with us this week at Celebrate Your Story, and I hope your week is going great.

May 19, 2017 at 12:13 pm

I think a little garlic goes a long way too 🙂

Mary
    May 17, 2017 at 5:41 pm

How can you cook without tasting the food Jas? Sometimes I am ready to dive into the pot. Haha! Especially after having to clean the shrimp. that is one big job!

May 19, 2017 at 12:15 pm

I don’t know, Mary, I just don’t. I put everything in, usually eyeballing it, and pray it turns out good. Even with a brand new recipe, lol.

Theresa @DearCreatives
    May 17, 2017 at 12:55 pm

Looks so good! The Mr. would love this recipe. Thanks for sharing at the Inspiration Spotlight party. Pinned & sharing.
    Theresa @DearCreatives recently posted…Easy 30 Minute Italian Chicken Pasta Salad Recipe That’s A Crowd Pleaser!My Profile

May 19, 2017 at 12:15 pm

Thank you, Theresa!

May 17, 2017 at 10:15 am

Ohhhh – pinned!! Thanks for sharing on the What’s for Dinner Link up!

May 19, 2017 at 12:16 pm

Thanks, Helen! 🙂

Rhonda
    May 16, 2017 at 10:57 pm

Such an easy recipe and oh so good. I’d use the 10 cloves of garlic (might even leave the shrimp out 🙂 ). Use a good, crusty, bakery fresh baguette ( when I was in Costa Brava, my morning ritual would be to walk down to the local bakery and pick a couple up for lunchtime).
    Rhonda recently posted…Misfat Al Abriyeen: Discover a Village in Oman’s Hajar MountainsMy Profile

May 19, 2017 at 12:18 pm

Ha ha, Rhonda! Who needs shrimp, right? Nothing better than fresh crusty bread (especially if you don’t have to bake it). That was my ritual while living in Europe too! Thanks for visiting 🙂

Lori Hill-Smith
    May 16, 2017 at 6:44 pm

This looks so good!
    Thank you for sharing at #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty
    Lori Hill-Smith recently posted…Blogging Grandmother’s Link Party #15My Profile

May 19, 2017 at 12:20 pm

Thank you, Lori!

Beverly
    May 16, 2017 at 11:54 am

Jas,
    OMG, this looks so yummy. I have shrimp in the freezer so I know what I am making this week.
    Thanks for sharing your wonderful posts at Over The Moon Party.
    See you next week.
    Hugs,
    Bev
    Beverly recently posted…Benefits of a Milk BathMy Profile

May 19, 2017 at 12:21 pm

Thanks, Bev! Hope you’ll like them 🙂

Grammy Dee
    May 15, 2017 at 10:46 pm

Looks yummy! Thank you Jas for linking up at the #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty. I shared this post.
    Grammy Dee recently posted…Blogging Grandmothers Link Party #15My Profile

May 16, 2017 at 9:08 am

Thank you much!

Donna
    May 15, 2017 at 6:41 pm

Yum!! You had me at the Russian-Mushroom Soup, but this looks incredibly delicious as well. It would be hard to choose. Wish I had both right now!!
    #BloggingGrandmothersLinkParty#15

May 16, 2017 at 9:00 am

Thank you, Donna!

May 15, 2017 at 6:40 am

I might just be able to pull this one off Jas, that’s if I don’t finish the sherry before the time 😉 I love any kind of seafood, but the hubby is allergic so we don’t make it too often. I’ll just have to get him some garlic bread so we can still share a bed 😉
    Michelle recently posted…Comment on The Lazy Susan That Almost Made Me Lose My Marbles by acraftymixMy Profile

May 16, 2017 at 8:46 am

Ha, ha, aren’t you romantic? 😉

Tania
    May 11, 2017 at 9:24 pm

Oh my God, that looks delicious Jas! I love seafood and eating that as a sandwich just sounds so good :o)

Tania
    Tania recently posted…4 Book Recommendations For Your Bohemian Loving SoulMy Profile

May 11, 2017 at 10:58 pm

Thank you, Tania! I love fish but shrimp, not so much…

May 11, 2017 at 4:24 pm

Too easy, Jas! Too good too! hmmm….yum. I love my prawns!!!!! 😀 😀 😀
    Ann recently posted…What it’s like Mid-SpringMy Profile

May 11, 2017 at 10:53 pm

Thank you, Ann! Quick and easy is my favorite! 😉

Mrs Shoes
    May 11, 2017 at 3:15 pm

As long as we’re both eating garlic, 2 is company!

May 11, 2017 at 10:52 pm