Easy classic Wiener schnitzel | All that's Jas

Easy Classic Wiener Schnitzel

Austrian famous meal - Wiener Schnitzel is an easy and delicious dinner in 30 minutes

I’m not sure about you, but I get bored with the same old meals and always eating out can get quite pricey. Luckily this super delicious classic Wiener schnitzel is easy to make and it’s fancy enough to serve to your guests.

A schnitzel is thin, boneless cutlet of meat usually thinned by pounding with a meat tenderizer and fried, either breaded or without the breading.

I reckon the Wiener schnitzel we had in Austria a few years back was disappointing. Even restaurants don’t use prime cuts and we were served a piece of meat that could’ve easily passed as a shoe sole.

For some reason the cost of veal in Europe is not as high as here in the States, so traditional Wiener schnitzel was often on our menu. I now only buy veal when my butcher has it on sale, but chicken or pork is a great substitution for this Austrian dish. In fact, when my husband took a bite, he said: “this pork is delicious!”

Truly, his taste buds are not trained to know the difference between veal and pork. But the good news is you don’t have to splurge on veal in order to have yummy Wiener schnitzel.

So, save yourself a trip to a restaurant (or Austria, ha) and make delicious dinner at home. You family and your budget will love you for it!

Use gluten-free bread crumbs if you have dietary restrictions or try these pan-seared pork chops instead.

Classic Wiener Schnitzel

Make #Austrian famous classic Wiener #Schnitzel #recipe and impress your family and friends… Click To Tweet

Classic Wiener Schnitzel with veal or pork cutlet

Serves 4

• 1 ½ pounds veal or pork, cut into ½-inch cutlets
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • ½ cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup plain bread crumbs
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • Lemon slices

~ Free Tip ~

Have a butcher cut the cutlets for you or partially freeze the meat – it makes slicing it thin a breeze. You could also buy thinly pre-cut cutlets instead.

1. Put the flour, eggs, and the bread crumbs each separately in 3 shallow dishes.
  2. Place each veal cutlet between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound with the flat side of a meat mallet until about ¼-inch thick.
  3. Dip each piece into the flour and then shake off the excess. Next, run the cutlets through the egg to coat it lightly. Finally, press the cutlets in the bread crumbs to coat.
  4. Heat the oil in a large skillet or cast iron over medium heat.
  5. Cook the breaded cutlets until browned on each side, about 3 minutes per side. Lower the heat if necessary to keep the breading from burning.
  6. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
  7. Serve with lemon wedges alongside French fries or boiled potatoes.

breaded Wiener schnitzel, easy and classing Austrian dinner

How to make Wiener Schnitzel

Easy Classic Wiener Schnitzel

Easy Classic Wiener Schnitzel

Make this Austrian famous classic Wiener Schnitzel recipe and impress your family and friends with a delicious, easy meal.

• 1 ½ pounds veal or pork, cut into ½-inch cutlets
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • ½ cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup plain bread crumbs
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • Lemon slices

Put the flour, eggs, and the bread crumbs each separately in 3 shallow dishes.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.

Cook the breaded cutlets until browned on each side, about 3 minutes per side. Lower the heat if necessary to keep the breading from burning.

Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.

Serve with lemon wedges alongside French fries or boiled potatoes.

Notes

~ Free Tip ~

Have a butcher cut the cutlets for you or partially freeze the meat - it makes slicing it thin a breeze. You could also buy thinly pre-cut cutlets instead.

Pin It: Easy Classic Wiener Schnitzel

Easy and quick Wiener schnitzel is breaded cutlet of veal or pork served with French fries and lemon wedge that the whole family will love

Mary
    June 14, 2017 at 6:46 pm

Jas Michelle also had me on the floor with her comment. All she knows is tools. Haha! I too like to make this from time to time. It is a classic isn’t it.
    Mary recently posted…Make an Easy Colorful Fence with Dollar Store FlowersMy Profile

June 14, 2017 at 8:04 pm

She is something else, isn’t she? 😀 Such a shame that three of us live on three different continents. We’d had a blast together!

June 13, 2017 at 3:38 pm

We love Wiener Schnitzel and your recipe looks so good! Your post is awesome and thanks so much for sharing it with us at Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great day and come back to see us real soon!
    Miz Helen recently posted…Fresh Garden SalsaMy Profile

June 13, 2017 at 9:46 pm

Thanks!

Beverly
    June 13, 2017 at 1:13 pm

My Dad’s family was from Germany and we had this often. I am not sure why, but don’t make it as often as I should. This recipe really caught my eye. Hope you join me for Wonderful Wednesday tomorrow since you are my feature pick.
    Hugs,
    Bev
    Beverly recently posted…Ducks Find New Pond – My DrivewayMy Profile

June 13, 2017 at 9:47 pm

Thank you, Beverly! That really made my day 😀

Sandra
    June 8, 2017 at 3:38 pm

I had this in Germany many years ago and it was delicious. When the waiter brought my plate which was more like a platter to the table I was amazed and how big the schnitzel was. Hands down one of the best meals I’ve ever had!
    Sandra recently posted…Yellow Sponge Cake with Earl Grey Pastry CreamMy Profile

June 9, 2017 at 10:43 am

Oh yeah, the schnitzel there is the size of a small country, lol. It’s hard to get them here, I was lucky to have found a decent piece of veal this time.

June 7, 2017 at 6:43 am

Yay, I’ve always been a huge fan of schnitzel and I can actually do some of this Jas. I’m good with a hammer so’ll I’ll beat the meat into submission while the hubby does the stuff that involves eggs and flour 😉
    Michelle recently posted…Comment on How to Make a Wooden Cable Spool from Scratch by acraftymixMy Profile

June 8, 2017 at 11:45 am

You had me laughing out loud, Michelle! I’m a very visual person so I pictured you hammering the heck out of that schnitzel, haha. Wish we lived closer, we’d have so much fun together.

June 6, 2017 at 11:26 pm

I have never made wiener schnitzel, but it does seem like one of those things I should try. Or I could just move into your kitchen and take a taste of everything you make and save myself the effort. It’s pretty much a toss-up! 😉
    Carlee recently posted…Creamy One Pot ABC Pasta {Asparagus, Bacon and Chicken}My Profile

June 8, 2017 at 11:43 am

Haha, sounds good to me. I’ll cook, you bake. Deal? 😉

Ruth | Tanama Tales
    June 6, 2017 at 8:37 pm

Recently, I had Wiener Schnitzel in Salzburg and was transported to paradise when I bit into the cutlet. The German versions with pork were delicious too! I really need to try your recipe. #WordlessWednesday
    Ruth | Tanama Tales recently posted…How to Make the Most of a Day Trip to Neuschwanstein My Profile

June 6, 2017 at 3:49 pm

I hope you have leftovers because I want them! HUNGRYYYYYYYY 😉

June 8, 2017 at 11:54 am

All gone…he he. XOXO

image-in-ing: weekly photo linky
    June 6, 2017 at 11:18 am

I’ve never tried to make wiener schnitzel but your recipe makes it look do-able!~
    Thanks for joining this week’s linkup at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2017/06/my-happy-place.html
    image-in-ing: weekly photo linky recently posted…My “happy place”My Profile

June 8, 2017 at 11:16 am

It really is. The trick is to fry it too long or on high heat. 🙂

Mrs Shoes
    June 5, 2017 at 1:28 pm

I took out a pork butt roast this morning, even though I don’t want to turn on the oven, I thought maybe I’d put it in the crock pot. That thought is gone — Schnitzel tonight, Yay! Once again, thanks Jas.

June 5, 2017 at 8:30 pm

Always my pleasure! So happy I can inspire. Have a great week, Mrs Shoes!