When I watched my dear friend from Bethlehem prepare baba ganoush from scratch I was dumbfounded how easy it was to make. The same can be said for hummus. I missed out on great flavor consuming store-bought dips only because I thought making them had to be complex and intimidating. Ignorant no more. In honor of my friend, whom I miss daily, I’m sharing this recipe despite the fact that there are a gazillion other hummus recipes already shared.
Although both hummus and baba ganoush basic ingredients are the same, they differ in taste and texture due to their main ingredient. Chickpeas (a.k.a. garbanzo beans) are the star ingredient in hummus while baked eggplant is used for baba ganoush. I can’t tell you which I like better; it’s a tough choice to make. Thus, I’ll be making both for our office potluck next week. Or maybe I’ll use my eggplant for Chinese style eggplant dip that is super delicious too.
Homemade Hummus RecipeMaking delicious #hummus at home is super easy even without a food processor! #dip #vegan Click To Tweet
- 15 oz can Chickpeas, washed and drained
- 1-2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons Tahini sauce
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cumin
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil, plus more for serving
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Salt and ground Black Pepper to taste
- Dash of ground Paprika for serving
- Toasted Pine Nuts and fresh Parsley for serving (optional)
- Using a potato masher, coarsely mash the chickpeas. If you like smoother and creamier hummus, process them in a food processor or a blender. I only mashed about 1/2 cup for some texture so it doesn’t feel like I’m eating baby food and also because that was all I could handle skinning. The rest went in the food processor. These do not need to be skinned – the food processor will blend the skin to death.
- Mix the tahini into the chickpeas, then stir in garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, cayenne, cumin and salt and pepper to taste. If hummus is too thick, mix in 2-3 tablespoons water.
- To serve, scrape the hummus into a bowl (or individual mini bowls) then drizzle about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with paprika, toasted pine nuts, and chopped parsley.
- Hummus is best at room temperature along pita bread. If stored in an airtight container and refrigerated it will hold up to one week.
Pin it: Homemade Hummus Recipe
See this recipe featured at Imparting Grace.
Latest posts by Jas (see all)
- Swedish Apple Oatmeal Pie with Vanilla Sauce #AppleWeek - September 25, 2017
- Apple Week Welcome Giveaway! #AppleWeek - September 25, 2017
- Florida Citrus Drop Shot in 60 Seconds #FoodBloggers4FL - September 21, 2017