Venetian Crab Sandwich – tramezzino al granchio

Venetian Crab Sandwich - tramezzino al granchio | All that's Jas

Venetian crab sandwich

Venetian Crab Sandwich – tramezzino al granchio

After the tiring trip from Rome to Mestre, our GPS had us drive in circles. “Turn right” the female voice kept saying but the street was blocked off with concrete posts. “Turn right, now!” she seemed to get frustrated with us for not turning and then finally gave up: “you have arrived at your destination.” As if.

Thank goodness our faithful BAM (Big A$$ Map, as we affectionately call it) showed us the way to our hotel. The unfriendly receptionist and the first ten minutes of figuring out how the light switches work, which left us feeling dim-witted**, didn’t ruin our excitement about visiting Venice.

We freshened up quickly and within minutes were sitting on a train to the islands. More importantly, I was going to meet my childhood friend whom I last saw some 35 years ago and who graciously offered to be our tour guide. She and her Italian husband drove from Trieste just to spend an afternoon with us. I have the best friends in the whole world! We had lots to see and lots to catch up on in one afternoon.

Tired and hungry we arrived at the restaurant they recommended as the best in town. I was ready to eat a whole cow. The display at the counter offered only tea sandwiches. What? This is famous Venice food? Politely, we simulated enthusiasm and ordered an assortment of sandwiches. To this day we still talk about those sandwiches. Not because we were disappointed. On the contrary, they were the best doggone sandwiches we ever ate, in particular, the ones stuffed with crab meat!

My friend Milanka and I at that restaurant.

Milanka and I in Venice

While many associate Venice with canals and gondolas, we also muse over tramezzino al granchio – the Venetian crab sandwich. Lacking the special large, crust-less bread in the States, I did what I could to mimic the original. The recipe is translated from Italian and the crab filling is spot on, even if the bread is not.

This is how they really look (photo borrowed from the internet).

Venetian sandwiches

**In most Italian hotels light switches, and power in general, only work when the room key is left in the door! How clever is that? You won’t leave the lights on when you leave and you won’t lock yourself out.

Venetian Crab Sandwich – tramezzino al granchio recipe

• ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
  • ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
  • ¼ teaspoon Paprika
  • ¼ teaspoon prepared Horseradish
  • ½ teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
  • ½ teaspoon Mustard
  • 1 teaspoon Hot Sauce (add more if you like it spicy)
  • Pinch of Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
  • 8 slices of soft white Bread, crust removed
  • 2 hard-boiled Eggs, sliced
  • 1 cup baby Spinach
  • 1 large Tomato, sliced

DIRECTIONS:

1. Drain the crabmeat and lightly squeeze with paper towels to remove excess moisture. In a medium bowl combine the first 14 ingredients.
  2. Assemble the sandwiches by spreading four slices of bread with the crab mixture. Cover with spinach leaves, tomato, and egg slices.
  3. Spread the other four slices of bread with a thin layer of mayo and place over the slices with crab mixture. Press bread edges to seal.
  4. Cover with clear wrap and refrigerate for 15-30 minutes. Cut the sandwiches into triangles and serve.

IMG_2693

Venetian crab sandwich

5 from 5 votes
Venetian Crab Sandwich – tramezzino al granchio
Prep Time
15 mins
Total Time
15 mins

Get a taste of Italy with these soft triangular bread pockets stuffed with crabmeat mixture seasoned to perfection.

Course: Main Course
  • Pinch of Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
  • 8 slices of soft white Bread crust removed
  • 2 hard-boiled Eggs sliced
  • 1 cup baby Spinach
  • 1 large Tomato sliced
Instructions
  2. Assemble the sandwiches by spreading four slices of bread with the crab mixture. Cover with spinach leaves, tomato, and egg slices.
  3. Spread the other four slices of bread with a thin layer of mayo and place over the slices with crab mixture. Press bread edges to seal.

Pin it now: Venetian Crab Sandwich – tramezzino al granchio

Venetian Crab Sandwich - tramezzino al granchio - Get a taste of Italy with these soft triangular bread pockets stuffed with spicy crabmeat mixture seasoned to perfection. and topped with spinach, hard-boiled eggs, and tomatoes. | allthatsjas.com | #Italian #sandwich #crabmeat #seafood #lunch #supper #recipeofthemonth #easy #recipes #light #travel

Jas is a cheesecake addict and the author of Balkan Comfort Food cookbook available on Amazon. You can download a free excerpt of the book when you subscribe to All that's Jas newsletter updates or purchase the full version below. To learn more about Jas visit her About page.

Lux Ganzon
    March 17, 2015 at 6:03 pm

Yey for sharing the recipe. This is a must try! 🙂

March 17, 2015 at 7:16 pm

Thanks, Lux!

Holly
    March 19, 2015 at 2:20 pm

Thanks for linking up with Waiting on…Wednesday @ While I’m Waiting!

Have a great day!

Poppy
    March 20, 2015 at 10:34 am

mmm this looks so yummy! And your delicious pictures make me hungry:) Thanks for the recipe! Hugs, Poppy

March 20, 2015 at 6:31 pm

Thanks, Poppy, and thanks for stopping by! XO

jacquiodell
    March 23, 2015 at 11:01 pm

I love crab! I will have to try these. Thank you for linking up to Party Time and we hope to see you again next week!

March 24, 2015 at 8:54 am

It is pretty amazing 🙂

Kristina @ myownhomeblog.com
    March 26, 2015 at 7:27 pm

Thanks for sharing at Talented Tuesday! Hope to see you again this week 🙂

joylovefood
    March 27, 2015 at 11:16 am

I didn’t know that about Italian hotels and light switches, clever! And these sandwiches sound amazing! Thanks for sharing at What’d You Do This Weekend?!

March 28, 2015 at 10:02 am

Very clever in my opinion too 🙂

Sherry
    March 29, 2015 at 12:18 pm

I definitely will try this recipe. These looks awesome. Thanks for linking up to Funtastic Friday. Hope you can make it again this week.

March 29, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Hi Sherry, thank you much for visiting. See you soon!

Baking In Pyjamas
    March 31, 2015 at 7:01 am

Yum, this sandwich looks yummy. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!! Laura@Baking in Pyjamas

March 31, 2015 at 9:22 am

Thank you! 🙂

Marissa | Squirrels of a Feather
    April 15, 2018 at 7:14 am

OMG, Jas! I started laughing at your story (Big Ass Map hahaha!). These look super tasty, the ones from actual Venice look huge…I wouldn’t mind eating the prosciutto either 😉 Yours look great, I am trying to get my little guys to eat more seafood so maybe they would try this as it’s not intimidating. Thanks!

April 16, 2018 at 9:23 am

Oh, we used and loved our BAM a lot 😀
      They have special bread just for those sandwiches. The slices are huge, crustless, soft, and super pliable. Wish we had it here. Have a great week!

Shirley Wood
    April 18, 2018 at 8:33 am

Those sandwiches look scrumptious! Thanks for sharing with us at Merry Monday!

April 18, 2018 at 9:57 am

Thanks so much, Shirley! 🙂

Michelle Frank | Flipped-Out Food
    April 18, 2018 at 8:27 pm

Thank goodness for BAMs, am I right?! I love misadventure-inspired food—these look as though they were a transcendental experience! I can’t wait to try out your version: I’m going to make them for my sister on our next “girls’ night IN”. 🙂 #brillblogposts

April 20, 2018 at 10:18 am

Yes, without our BAM we would’ve been lost as our GPS didn’t work in every country we visited. 🙂 Thanks for stopping in, Michelle! I hope you and your sister will like this yummy recipe. XO

SarahsLifestyleDiary
    April 19, 2018 at 5:52 pm

Major crab fan here:) and lobster hehe

April 20, 2018 at 1:41 pm

Then you would love these sandwiches. Preceded by this lobster bisque 😉 Thanks, Sarah!

Amy
    April 21, 2018 at 9:40 pm

I love your little story. And oh my, these crab sandwiches sound divine. I can totally relate to the GPS. I hate it when it tells me that I have arrived at my destination, even though I know that I haven’t! But I have to admit that it still amazes me how wonderful it is to have a GPS at all. I grew up on a farm in Idaho and never needed a map since I knew where all of the places that I went were, thus I never learned how to read a map. I cannot tell you how many times I have been lost since I moved away from that little farm in Idaho. Anyway back to the sandwiches. I can’t wait to try them. Thank you for sharing at Snickerdoodle Create Bake Make link party!

April 22, 2018 at 10:50 pm

Thanks, Amy! I didn’t need a map where I grew up but quickly learned how to use them when I moved to Germany. They helped me tremendously when I moved here too and I love them, although I prefer hands-free GPS, lol.

Leslie Clingan
    April 22, 2018 at 2:43 pm

Truly lovely photos, and your sandwich look equally amazing. Bought some imitation crab this week in hopes of finding a good seafood salad recipe. I think I just did.

April 22, 2018 at 10:58 pm

Thank you, much! I hope you like this recipe as much as we did. 🙂

Teresa
    April 22, 2018 at 9:23 pm

What an exciting trip! Crab happens to be a favorite of mine and these sound luscious! Thank you for sharing the recipe on Party in Your PJ’s.

April 22, 2018 at 11:04 pm

It really was, wish I could go back soon. Thank you, Teresa!

April J Harris
    April 23, 2018 at 9:02 am

Venice is one of my favourite places in the whole world, Jas! No wonder you still talk about those sandwiches! Your version looks amazing. Scheduled to pin and share. Thank you so much for being a part of the Hearth and Soul Link Party. Have a lovely week!

April 24, 2018 at 7:48 am

Thank you, dear April! I wish to go back in the near future. Europe has so much history and I’m always homesick. Have a wonderful week!

frugal hausfrau
    April 23, 2018 at 9:48 pm

Those are some surprising and bold ingredients! I’m a sucker for anything horseradish! Thanks for sharing you story and your food at FF!!

Mollie

April 24, 2018 at 8:05 am

Yes, they are Mollie, but that’s what makes this dish so special. I’d add even more horseradish but my husband is not a fan. Silly man. LOL

April 24, 2018 at 9:25 am

Thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with us at Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again real soon!

April 26, 2018 at 9:50 pm

Thank you, Miz Helen!

Your visits and your comments are greatly appreciated. I LOVE reading them, they motivate me to keep going and keep improving. If you have a question, please feel free to leave it here, email me, or message me on Facebook. Thank you so much for stopping by at All that's Jas, so let's talk :)