The Swiss make the best mac and cheese! They cook the pasta and potatoes in a skillet with cream, then mix it with caramelized onions, crispy bacon, and gooey cheese.
It is traditionally served with apple sauce. If you think apple sauce with cheesy macaroni is weird, think again! It’s the perfect sweet balance to the salty bacon.
Of course, everything is better with bacon, but I know for a fact that this macaroni and cheese is just as yummy without it. Its taste is very similar to Grenadir, a side dish from Central Europe.
So, if you are not Team Bacon you can leave it out, but I will seriously have to reconsider our friendship. 😉
This Swiss noodle recipe is at the top of my simple but flavorful Noodles Without Borders recipe list.
Noodles Without Borders: noodle dishes from around the world that my friend Bobbi from Healthy World Cuisine and I started last August. We both agree that noodles are versatile and the ultimate comfort food, no matter the season.
So, every first Tuesday of the month we each share a recipe from somewhere in the world.
I haven’t met a pasta dish I didn’t like, but this hearty skillet mac and cheese from the Alpine region of Switzerland takes the cake. You must try this seriously tasty Älplermagronen, also called herdsman’s macaroni.
WHAT CHEESE SHOULD I USE?
You want Swiss cheese (obviously) that will give you the ooey, gooey glory. Gruyere is the perfect melting cheese. Other options are Emmental and Raclette.
TIP: For the ultimate cheese pull (stretchy cheese), never use already shredded cheese. Freshly grate a block of cheese, using the grater side with large holes!
WHAT IS THE BEST PASTA TYPE FOR THIS RECIPE?
Any short pasta you have on hand will work, such as Penne, Rotini or Macaroni.
You must try this easy #skillet mac and cheese from Swiss Alpine, mixed with crispy #bacon and caramelized onions! #macandcheese #easy
HERE’S HOW TO MAKE SWISS SKILLET MAC AND CHEESE
NOTE: Detailed description below in the recipe box.
You will need a large cast iron skillet or Dutch oven with lid. I use my cast iron skillet all the time – as if you haven’t noticed. 😄
- First, dice the bacon, slice the onions, and mince the garlic.
- Then add it all in a skillet and cook to caramelize the onions and crispy the bacon. Transfer the mixture, including the bacon fat, to a plate and set aside.
- Next, add the vegetable stock, heavy cream, diced potatoes, and pasta to the same skillet. Cover and cook until pasta is al dente.
- Finally, stir in the grated cheese and the bacon-onion mixture. Serve with apple sauce.
Gotta love one pan (skillet) dinners. They make easy cooking and cleaning up!
OTHER MAC AND CHEESE RECIPES YOU MUST TRY
This post might contain some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here if you like reading boring legal stuff.
for Swiss Alpine Skillet Mac and Cheese
Swiss Skillet Mac and Cheese
- 4 oz. (6 strips) bacon diced
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 small red potatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 8 oz. Penne pasta
- 6 oz. grated Gruyere cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Applesauce for serving
- Heat a large cast iron skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add six strips of diced bacon, sliced onion, and minced garlic and cook, stirring, for 15 minutes or until the onions caramelize and the bacon is crispy. Transfer the mixture, including the bacon fat, to a plate and set aside.
- To the skillet, add two cups of vegetable stock, a cup of heavy cream and three diced red potatoes. Increase the heat to medium-high, bring to a gentle boil, and add 8 oz. penne pasta. Cover the pan with a lid and cook until pasta is al dente (about 12 minutes).
- When all the liquid soaks into the pasta, remove from the heat and stir in the 6 oz. grated Gruyere cheese and the bacon and onion mixture.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley and serve with applesauce.
DON’T MISS OUT!
Become a subscriber for recipes updates, tips, and freebies.
Sign up HERE and get your first freebie!
Latest posts by Jas (see all)
- Mexican Guava Charlotte [Carlota] No-Bake Cake - November 5, 2019
- Danish Warm Potato Salad with Corn and Baby Greens – Varm Kartoffelsalat - October 22, 2019
- Palestinian-Style Stuffed Savoy Cabbage Rolls - October 15, 2019